The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2018, 03:15 PM   #26
Jim Watson

You will probably get a duty gun with holster wear, shot twice a year.
But you might get a new gun, held in reserve for a new hire, breakdown spare, or OIS replacement.
Or you might get a SWAT gun shot twice a week.
Old December 20, 2018, 04:43 PM   #27
Leaf

I wore a Glock 22 for several years. I recall only one FTE and one FTF the whole time I carried that weapon and I put a crap load of rounds through that gun. Of course I ALWAYS kept my pistol clean. Enjoy.
Old December 20, 2018, 08:05 PM   #28
Right to bear arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
You will probably get a duty gun with holster wear, shot twice a year.
But you might get a new gun, held in reserve for a new hire, breakdown spare, or OIS replacement.
Or you might get a SWAT gun shot twice a week.
The gun I got still had the brown factory powder lubricant on the rails. With all respect to the 9mm. Tragically wasn't Pope Paul II shot numerous times with a 9mm and survived? Maybe it was God's will but he wouldn't have survived with a 40S&W.
Old December 20, 2018, 08:53 PM   #29
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right to bar arms
...The gun I got still had the brown factory powder lubricant on the rails. With all respect to the 9mm. Tragically wasn't Pope Paul II shot numerous times with a 9mm and survived? Maybe it was God's will but he wouldn't have survived with a 40S&W.
Sometimes it isn't a caliber thing -- it's WHERE the caliber hits.

I've read of too many police vs bad guy shootouts in which the bad guy is hit multiple times center mass (with things like hot .357 Magnum or .45 rounds) and the bad guy just keeps coming.

Hinckley came within a hair of killing President Ronald Reagan with a single .22 long rifle round fired from a short-barreled revolver. (One report said the bullet that hit Reagan in the side, under his arm, came within a 1/4" of entering his heart!) Hinckley hit two others with rounds from the same gun.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 20, 2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old December 20, 2018, 09:37 PM   #30
Martowski

Good deal. $299 seems to be the going rate for a G22 these days. Seeing them go for that price through AIM Surplus, Gunbroker, and local dealers. No one wants .40, 9mm is all the rage again. And then in 10 years people will re-discover the .40 and it will be the exact opposite of today.
Old December 22, 2018, 10:30 AM   #31
tallball

I got mine for $285. It's a great pistol. I've shot hundreds of rounds with no trouble at all, including my FiL's reloads.

After a while I also got a $99 9mm barrel and $20-something 9mm magazine from Lone Wolf Distributors. It shoots 9mm just as well as it shoots 40 caliber.

You got a great deal and should have nothing to worry about.
Old December 23, 2018, 08:40 PM   #32
Leaf

Walt Sherrill, many years ago when I was active duty in the Corps, an old Marine who had fought in a couple of the island campaigns in WWII told me that through experience they learned to aim at or just below the belly button of charging enemy soldiers in order to stop them most immediately. Apparently even with up to 30-06 rounds through the chest, they didn't drop as quickly as when shot in the lower gut. And let me tell you, that old geezer was the real deal.
Old December 24, 2018, 07:01 AM   #33
weblance

The Glock 22 is an excellent pistol. Police Trade In Glocks are one of the best deals going. I am not a Glock fan,but have switched to Glock for my person defense because I point shoot a Glock better than anything else I own. I have two police Trade in G22 pistols. The beauty of any Glock pistol in 40 is it is easily converted to 9mm, OR 357 Sig. If you really want an upgrade in stopping power, swap in a Glock factory barrel in 357Sig, or just find a good 40 round that shoots reliably and to point of aim, and the G22 will serve your needs as a great duty size pistol.
Old December 24, 2018, 07:41 AM   #34
JDBerg

I could say that the price difference for a used G17 9mm over that G22 .40S&W will be quickly offset by the lower cost of 9mm vs. .40S&W factory ammo.

I could also say that I’d much rather have my G21 .45ACP over that G22 forty. IMHO, it’s a better gun and a much better caliber.

Well I own the G17 and the G21, and I used to own the G22. One of the best and most valuable things I’ve leaned is to trust your own tactile learning experiences, which are the things you learn for yourself and learn by doing, and not to necessarily trust the things you hear from other people.

However, having said all this, the OP should just enjoy his pistol!