The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 15, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1
mehavey

Thompson Ctr #7194 Aperture Disk compatibilty

I picked up (another growing collector's item) well-used T/C Hawken that had been originally
put togther as a kit in 1980 or so. (`have already put a Green Mtn replacement
45 cal patched-ball/slow-twist barrel on it.) One of the reasons I picked it out of the rack
was that it already had a T/C compact tang peep sight on it:

Out of curiosity form the experience of other T/C owners with this sight, is it compatible with
standard Williams aperture disks ?
Old January 15, 2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Old No7

It sure is!

For low-light conditions -- if you will hunt with it -- check out the Williams "Twilight" apertures. They have a small ring of brass inset; most times you don't see it/notice it, but in low-light early morning conditions when it's easy to loose the black "ring", that brass ring catches your eye and allows you perfect sight alignment.

Here's a Williams aperture mounted on my new-to-me T/C .50 Hawken; moved it over from the T/C .45 Cherokee, as I'll be selling that one to fund its "bigger brother" (who weighs in at 2.8 pounds more, due to the longer 32" round ball barrel!)...

I also plan to add a small brass bead to the Hawken front sight, so I can get the same "twilight" effect out in front.

Tight groups!

Old No7
Old January 16, 2014, 07:47 AM   #3
mehavey

I've got Lyman 57s on my Great Plains 54 as well as my other T/C in 40 cal. This sight intriqued
me as it's built like the proverbial outhouse, very compact, and still has calibratable adjustment in
both elevation/windage.

`Glad to know that I can switch out disks as well

THANX !