The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2017, 01:10 PM   #51
Glenn E. Meyer

A Glock user here since the 90's. Never ND'ed on the draw.

Here's a take on the XD grip safety for those who have draw-grip-holster qualms. FYI - take it or leave it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShoOEUjlGg

The one time I was almost shot in an ND it was from a 1911 that was supposedly on safe with the finger off the trigger.

This another ancient debate of I'm scared of the striker fired pistol with no grip safety (say Glock). Just train up and use a quality holster. Yes, that is a cliche.
Old November 4, 2017, 04:05 PM   #52
marine6680

Glock makes a good pistol... They work, and tend to be reliable. I am not the biggest fan, but I do respect them for what they are.

But as far as doodads to "make the gun safer"... I'm not a big fan.

I am of the mindset, that if you are the type to not properly check for a clear holster and trigger guard when holstering your pistol... You are not going to properly use the "doodads" properly or consistently either.

That applies to manual safeties, grip safeties, riding hammers, "gadgets"... and basically anything that isn't an automatic passive device that requires no conscious thought to use/work.

I have read of an ND that happened when a person removed their jacket. They got a pull string or other part of the jacket caught in the holster, but it did not go off when they holstered the pistol... It did go off after, when they pulled off the jacket.

Basically... No doodad could have prevented that ND... Only proper procedure when re-holstering their pistol and ensuring it was clear first would have.

Seriously... While you might only have a split second to draw your pistol... You have all the time in the world to re-holster... Take the time to do it properly.

Last edited by marine6680; November 4, 2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old November 4, 2017, 04:20 PM   #53
TunnelRat

^ well said. There is no reward for being the fastest back to the holster. If you're holstering in a defensive situation you're doing so because you've determined the threat is no longer present. While I get wanting to get back to the holster say before law enforcement arrives, discharging errant rounds helps no one.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 4, 2017, 06:58 PM   #54
otasan

Yes, get the G19. Load it with CorBon 9mm 115gr JHP +p (1350 FPS)
Old November 5, 2017, 03:11 PM   #55
glockman55

I have three Glocks.. 19, 27, and 30...need maybe one more
Old November 5, 2017, 05:12 PM   #56
OhioGuy

Ultimately, I chose to get the CZ P07.

Not because I hate Glock. Not because I live in fear of shooting myself from a holster

I just plain really love the gun and shoot it really well. That's really all it comes down to, and I'm looking forward to learning the DA trigger system more fully.
Old November 5, 2017, 08:38 PM   #57
jetinteriorguy

Plus, the P07 has a half cocked position making the DA pull a little easier to master. And you can also Cajunize it for a lighter smoother DA and SA trigger. Personally I love mine just as it came from the factory. I've been shooting DA in revo's for almost 40 years, and the key is a nice smooth non stop pull on the trigger. And yes, this can be done with speed after a lot of practice and still be accurate at SD distances.
Old November 5, 2017, 09:34 PM   #58
jimjc

OP if you think nobody can beat the glock 19 then just buy it, I've owned 5 of them and I have not come to the same conclusion as you have, I sold them years ago and will not own a glock in the future.
Old November 5, 2017, 09:54 PM   #59
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjc View Post
OP if you think nobody can beat the glock 19 then just buy it, I've owned 5 of them and I have not come to the same conclusion as you have, I sold them years ago and will not own a glock in the future.
I concluded that the CZ beats it for me, shooting them side by side.

What I meant was nobody can beat them in the sense of significantly chipping away at their business. If nothing else they have the aftermarket cornered.

Case in point: I believe my newly purchased P07 has a total of three night sight options???
Old November 5, 2017, 10:21 PM   #60
Laz

Quote:
I was eyeing the new g19 gen 5... Untill I got one in my hands...
I’ve never gotten into Glocks or liked striker pistols. I evolved and looked at many and decided the Gen 4 Glock 19 was a nearly perfect fit for what I wanted and have been very happy with my choice. At the time I was blissfully unaware of the soon-to-arrive Gen 5 19 but having looked at them, I prefer the Gen 4 though the Gen 5 has some nice features. The 19 Finger grooves fit me perfectly and the slightly smaller Gen 4 grip fits perfectly with grip extensions.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.

Last edited by Laz; November 5, 2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old November 7, 2017, 06:19 PM   #61
otasan

I CCW a Glock 17 here in VT. Great gun at only 34 ounces fully loaded (17 rounds). 100% reliable.
Old November 7, 2017, 06:38 PM   #62
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan
I CCW a Glock 17 here in VT. Great gun at only 34 ounces fully loaded (17 rounds). 100% reliable.
Are you sure about that "100%" figure?
Old November 7, 2017, 08:27 PM   #63
OhioGuy

I shot better with the 4 than the 5. It fit my hand well.

Had I decided to get another striker, my first choice would've been the M2.0 Compact, probably followed by the PPQ 4" (I already have the Q5 Match). Glocks just don't feel as good in my hands as the others. I wasn't crazy about the CZ P10C, but the P07 fit me so well and felt like "I've come home!" I decided it was worth learning the DA trigger

No striker I've used really hits the feeling of a true SA trigger, and the P07 has a great one!
Old November 9, 2017, 10:00 PM   #64
michaelc246

get a G19 or an M&P 2.0 Compact. About the same size, and they would both serve you well.