The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 23, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1
tomykay12

5 1/2" 1858 new army .44 cal

Hi. Anyone have one of these from Cabelas? I have the longer barrel standard model, and thought this would be a nice addition to the collection, or possibly the .36 cal police. Any opinions here? Thanx, tk
Old June 23, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
DG45

If you're just looking for shooting fun, why not buy what you like? If it's steel framed and has a top strap, you've got belt and suspenders. Enjoy.

However, if you're looking for historical accuracy for Civil War event's etc. I don't think Remington made a 5 1/2" barreled 1858 New Army Model, but I could be wrong.

Cabela's is selling two of the Remington style 5 1/2" barrel guns. The one they're calling a New Army model has a steel frame and the other they're calling the Confederate model has a brass frame. Although the Remington style gun has a top strap which makes it stronger than a similarly made Colt-type 44 without a top strap, a .44 cal. gun with a brass frame would worry me, even with the top strap.

Having said that, I have a "Reb" Colt Navy by Pietta in .36 cal. with an open top brass frame. While its fun with light loads, I'm sure it would loosen up quickly if I fed it anywhere close to the 20 grain powder loads that the steel-framed Colt Navys are supposed to be able to handle.
Old June 23, 2011, 05:42 PM   #3
jcowan

I have a bunch of 5 1/2 " barrel BP guns, I like the way they look and shoot. I have the Cabelas Pietta 1858 Remington with a 5 1/2" , great shooter and looks great. If I had a bad thing to say about it, and I don't, it would be that it looks more like a modern firearm than any of my colt clones.
Old June 23, 2011, 05:56 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I can only speak for the Remmie 26 "Police" - I have one - fit and finish is fantastic - came from Cabelas and is a joy to shoot. I guess it all depends on what you like as has been stated . . . I like the looks of the NMA with the shorter barrel - looks like it would be lots of fun and I've read a number of threads of those that have them and they seem to like them a lot. Good luck with your "dilema" . . . just remember, no matter on which one you decide on . . eventually you'll get the other one as well! It's called an "addiction"! Let us know what you decide on!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 23, 2011, 07:54 PM   #5
ClemBert

I have the SS 5 1/2" .44 cal 1858 from Cabelas. They don't carry it anymore. I don't know why. It's a very nice 1858 for the money.

Old June 24, 2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

TK12

I have one and I like it.
Old June 24, 2011, 11:04 AM   #7
tomykay12

cabelas

seemingly endless rotating prices has both of these, .44 new army and .36 police listed @ 219 right now. uh oh, tk
ps love the stainless 5 1/2 pictured above
Old June 24, 2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Shotput79

The 5.5" 58

I have the 8" Target model. Had it a little over 20 yrds. All I can tell you is this 58 is still strong inside and out. I bought the 5.5" barrel from cabela's last year. I like it cause of it's size, and a wonderful shooter. I'm thinking about getting the 58 Police model and another 8" model without the target sights. ClemBert I like that SS 58 to. There nice looking revolvers. I have the 1860 5.5" barrel also. They are fun shooting revolvers, just look, and feel good. It really don't matter how many black powder guns you have. You just got to own a Remingtion model 58. I believe they are my favorite black powder revolver. Good luck.