The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 14, 2017, 10:56 AM   #1
1-DAB

New IDPA rules, observations

we shot our first local match sunday under the new rules. used a template to create the new 4 inch diameter zero down head zone, and applied the 1 second per point rule as well.

had 5 stages, 21 shooters total, a good mix, mostly MM, few SS and EX too.

from looking at the final scores, the fastest shooter did not win, nor did the most accurate, but a good combination of speed and accuracy took the day.

winner was second fastest, and was 6th most accurate.

fastest shooter had more points down than his raw time, putting him 2nd overall.

i came in 3rd overall, with 4th fastest time and 5th most accurate.

most accurate was 5th overall, as he had the 17th best time (he took too long to get accurate shots).

so you need to find your balance of speed and accuracy.

will be interesting to see how the new rules affect other matches during the year.
Old February 14, 2017, 11:33 AM   #2
zincwarrior

We have had a classifier and one match (60+).

The usual suspects won at the usual levels. Nothing was unexpected.

*Fault lines. Slightly different but easy to get used to. Makes those last shots on target somewhat difficult. We frequently had to move up towards the barrier (but did not have to crowd the barrier). Fault lines definitely avoided confusion of cover calls. No doubt it is a game now though and not a a self defense oriented thing.

*One shot per second annoyed me slightly but I need more time to see how it impacts.

*Reloads while moving were easier as it generally avoided confusion.
Old February 14, 2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I have thus far shot two '17 matches and there has been a bit of a shakeup in the results as the accuracy vs speed balance changes.

Saturday had one stage with a target "wrapped around" from the left barricade fault line so far that I could not lean to shoot it freestyle, I had to go WHO to hit it. I will be checking for such things on the walkthrough next time.
Old February 14, 2017, 12:12 PM   #4
1-DAB

we had a leftie who found it advantageous to swap to right around the last point of cover (targets to right of fault line). he did it so quickly, and so well, that if you weren't paying attention you would have missed the swap. then he had to reload, so back to the left hand, reloaded, and then back to the right to finish the array.

might be a useful skill to practice.
Old February 14, 2017, 01:00 PM   #5
RickB

Being a lefty, I'd expect such stages to be few and far between, unless balanced with stages that make the same demand on right-handed shooters.

I think we'll be placing fault lines so everyone can engage all available targets freestyle, unless it's a SHO or WHO string.

The -1 zone in the head appears to be nothing more than a crap-shoot; everyone was already trying their best to hit the middle of the head, so the -1 zone just adds a few seconds to everyone's score.
Same for the 15yd and 20yd shots on the classifier; I was always trying to drop as few points as possible, so increasing the penalty doesn't change anything but to add a few seconds.
Old February 14, 2017, 01:10 PM   #6
1-DAB

you can design stages that favor righties or lefties, or you can be kind and give shooters an option. up to the MD.
Old February 15, 2017, 07:25 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
No doubt it is a game now though and not a a self defense oriented thing.
Its ALWAYS been a game and NEVER been self defense training as many folks think and feel it is. The Wilson's did so much to differ the discipline from USPSA and it looks with the changes being made they are drifting right back to where they wanted to get away from
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 15, 2017, 09:20 AM   #8
g.willikers

^^^
Fur sure.
But rather than take this thread off in another direction and risk it being closed, how about another thread on the various types of competition - and why we choose to do them.
Say we call it "What's your favorite matches and Why."
Coming right up just as soon as I gather my feeble thoughts on the subject.