The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1
smuse

.32 ACP Shotshell "Snakeshot"

I want to make some .32 ACP "snakeshot" rounds. Does anyone have a good recipe? Where can I find load data on something like that?
Old March 3, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2
David Wile

Hey Smuse,

I load .357 and .44 cal. snakeshot rounds, but even though I also load regular rounds in .32 cal, I would not bother trying to make any snakeshot round in .32. I don't think it would function very well in a semi-auto gun. I do have a couple two-shot derringers in .32 ACP, but I would not want to use these guns for snakeshot.

Having said that, I suppose you could make some kind of tiny snakeshot rounds in .32ACP if you had gas checks for .32 ACP. It sure would not hold a lot of shot, however.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old March 6, 2009, 05:25 PM   #3
smuse

.32 Snakeshot

Thanks Dave. I was given a Davis .32 Derringer as a gift. Since .32 is not a great cal for defense, I thought I might use it for snakes or dog attack. But it's hard to hit a snake with a slug. As for dogs, I would hope to create enough pain that he would run away. Thought I would use a slug for my second shot.
Thanks again,
Shane Muse
Old June 28, 2020, 10:04 PM   #4
ngzcaz

11 year old post but a great question as far as " not holding a lot of shot " and whether .32 shot was ever even produced ? Seems the .32 would hold a greater amount than a .22 for example. Plus it's a centerfire. Whether it would cycle the round is another matter. I know my .22 pistols did not cycle the slide properly. That said, I'd still buy a box of .32's if I could find them.
Old June 28, 2020, 11:28 PM   #5
cdoc42

I can't speak to a .32 with shot, but I must relate loading my Ruger Super Black Hawk with Speer capsules holding #6 or #7-1/2 shot and successfully hunting pheasants and chukars.

In the mid-70's a friend and I went to a Game farm for pheasants and the owner asked where our shotguns were. We pointed to our .44's and he said we couldn't use them until we showed him they were loaded with shot. He asked if he could come with us and bring his dog. We didn't object. We returned with 9 birds after 9 shots and he laid them all on the ground to show other prospective hunters while relating, "They got them with handguns!!" What a blast!

I also dispatched what I think was a big Norwegian rat on our property who was stealing bread from the ground under the bird house we set in the tree. Hadn't seen or shot a rat in at least 45 years, but the .44 did the trick.
Old June 29, 2020, 11:04 AM   #6
David Wile

Snakeshot In .32 Davis Derringer

Hey folks,

Based on Shane's original post, I thought he intended to use .32 snakeshot loads in an automatic pistol, and I responded that I did not think snakeshot loads were practical in an auto pistol. Having just read his second post today and realizing he actually wanted to use .32 snakeshot in his Davis Derringer chambered in .32ACP, I would now make a different response.

A snakeshot load in .32ACP can be made fairly easily if one has .32 caliber gaschecks and some #9 shot or even smaller birdshot. I doubt if you will find any loading data in any reloading manuals for said snakeshot loads, but one can figure out a load based on .32ACP data in most manuals.

First, one needs to understand the concept of a snakeshot load consisting of powder, then a .32 gascheck seated skirt up on top of the powder, followed by a load of shot, and topped off with a second gascheck loaded skirt down and a slight crimp at the mouth. Once you have that concept in mind, you then have to figure out the amount of powder to be used commensurate with the amount of shot to be used.

To "build" a snakeshot load for the .32ACP, one would need to start with a resized .32ACP case that has not had the spent primer removed. This dummy case will allow testing of different powder/shot fitting without the danger of an accidental discharge.

I would start by estimating the weight of the shot load intended, and since the whole load is to be contained within the case, I suspect somewhere around 60 grains or less would be a good place to start for a shot load. The next thing is to figure out a powder loading, and a fast powder would be the best choice to fill the powder/shot space. Bullseye powder would be a good choice for this purpose with somewhere between 2.0 and 2.4 grains of same.

When 'building" test powder/shot combinations for fit, do not use an actual gascheck. Simply cut some matchbook thin carboard practice gaschecks to place over the power charge and under the shot. Let us say you start with 2.1 grains of Bullseye powder, followed by a carboard gascheck, then fill the rest of the case with shot just a few hairs below the case mouth. Then pour out the shot and see how much that amount weighs. If the shot is somewhere between 50 and 60 grains, then you should have a pretty good idea of what your powder charge and shot load should be. If you need to adjust either power or shot a bit, pull the cardboard wad out and make your adjustments.

Once you are satisfied with your choice for a powder/shot combination, then start with a resized case with a new primer. Load your powder and seat a gascheck (skirt up) over it. Next load you shot, and follow it with second gascheck (skirt down) over it. Finally round off the load with a noticeable crimp which will keep everything in place.

If you keep in mind a safe powder charge for the weight of the shot you are using, you will be on the safe side of things. A 60 grain bullet over 1.9 to 2.4 grains of Bullseye is considered a safe load, so if you figure a shot load 60 grains or less with a powder charge of 1.9 to 2.4 grains of Bullseye, you should be on the safe side of things.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane:
Thought I would use a slug for my second shot.

As a final comment, I would suggest loading both barrels with snakeshot. Trying to hit a snake in the head with a single bullet is beyond most folks ability - especially with a little Davis Derringer barrel.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile