The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 13, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1
bojangles5169

I am needing a GOOD S&W pistol smith

I owned a 8 3/8" S&W Mod 57 (no dash) .41 Mag for years. At that time I had access to a good pistol smith who timed the cylinder, radiused the forcing cone, installed a spring loaded ball denent in the crane so the cyl. locked up on both ends and did an out of this world trigger job on it. I sold it a couple of years ago and was sorry ever since.
I just bought a blue 4" S&W Mod 57 .41 mag in like new condition. It is a 57-6 so not exactly what I had. I know I need a good trigger job but not sure I need to go farther with this newer model. Any thoughts?
My old 57 had a dbl action pull much smoother than any Python ever was. The hammmer drop was light - would ignite Federal primers only - others too hard.
I am in the DFW, TX area & would like to find one reasonably close so I can look him in the eye & get his ideas. It is already an accurate shooter. I shot some re loads the other day that I did in '92!
Any help, comments, etc will be appreciated.

bojangles5169
Glen L Pankratz
[email protected]
Cell: 214-682-9300
Old March 13, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
MrBorland

For just an action job, there are likely a number of local 'smiths who can do a good job, but it seems you're looking for something more, so Alex Hamilton is who comes to mind. San Antonio may or may not be "reasonably close", though. OTOH, Hamilton is highly regarded.

http://tenring.com/about-alex/
Old March 13, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
tomrkba

Grant Cunningham if he's still accepting work.

S&W can do trigger work for you too. I had good results with my Model 625.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
warningshot

I'd snap-up any good 41 Mag brass you can find. Ammo manufactures are going to be real busy making more popular brass cases for the next ten years before they get around to making your caliber. Finding home cast bullets should still be around. And LP primers & powder shouldn't be an issue.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Will Beararms

Clark Custom Guns

Princeton, LA outside of Shreveport. Jerry Miculek is married to the late Mr. Clark's daughter for what it is worth.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/index.htm

Last edited by Will Beararms; March 14, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:19 PM   #6
bojangles5169

Thanks all - for the replies.

2 or 3 responses. Distance for an excellent job rather than around the corner for an OK job - I'd take distance anytime. Also, I didn't know that Clark worked on anything but 1911s, Rugers & S&W 41s. I've been there (after dad was gone) and had a costly bullseye job done on a 1911 and then a year ago I had them re barrel, rework action and hard chrome frame on my S&W Mod 41 target pistol. They do good work.
Yes I reload and have around 500 cast bullets left from my last 57, just rec'd 200 JHP & 200 new brass yesterday - should have ordered more I guess but still have pre shot brass on hand and plenty of power & primers.
I absolutely love the .41 cal. It is accurate and versatile. I just got my Galco holster for the 57 & wore it to my office today just to test comfort. I usually carry my McCormick custom Colt 1911 Officer's in a Galco @ about 4:00 position. The 57 seems longer and heavier but I sure shoot better with it. If, God forbid I ever needed to use one I'd want my 57.
Ditto for shortages. I ordered a LaRue AR 3 months ago - last I heard it may be 1 - 2 years b4 I see it.

Last edited by bojangles5169; March 14, 2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old March 14, 2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Powderman

Sir:

I have owned, and worked on Smith and Wesson Revolvers for years. PM me; I might be able to help you.