The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 18, 2002, 12:07 AM   #1
scorn

4x scope - how far can I realistically expect to take deer in the field with it?

I want to get a 1.25-4 power scope for my hunting rifle. I am wondering how that is going to work in the field, and if I will miss my 3-9 power?

What is the furthest realistic distance I can expect to take a deer in the field with a 4x scope?

Thanks

PS- the specific scope is the Trijicon Accupoint
Old February 18, 2002, 12:10 AM   #2
JosephBoeckner

actually...

u will be able to shoot just as far-just u wont be able to see as much lol-i dont know the actual distance difference between a 4X and a 9X or the 4X distance but it just means that the vitals are either bigger or smaller-in comparison to what u see-are they the same-exc 30 mm or 40 mm or w/e..that will make a difference how much u see around the animal too
Old February 18, 2002, 12:18 AM   #3
H&H,hunter

The Rifle mans creed.
"If I can see it I can hit It" Size don't matter.
Old February 18, 2002, 12:22 AM   #4
Zorro

All of my variables spend almost all the time set on the lowest setting.

You won't miss it.

You will be suprized at how quick you can aim a 1.25 scope too.
Old February 18, 2002, 06:32 AM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Figure that a critter at 300y will appear in the scope as if it were standing 75y away. Looks like one can shoot to a responsible distance.

Giz
Old February 18, 2002, 07:34 AM   #6
Dan Morris

As I restrict myself to 250-300 yds, I have never had any problems with the 4X. Beyond that, depending on the animal and cal, I cannot be sure of a clean kill. I feel I owe it to the animal to
do this.
Dan
Old February 18, 2002, 09:49 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Thinking back over a bunch of years, it seems to me that when the gun went bang and Bambi went flop, the scope ususally was down around 2X or 3X. That's with a 2x7 on one rifle and a 3x9 on the other pet.

One of the longest shots I've ever made was a one-shot kill at about 350 or so yards; the scope was set on 3X at the time. Wasn't planned, but it sure didn't hurt anything.

I've meddled around while sitting and waiting for Bambi, and tried to figure the optimum for a Leupold 3x9. I generally settled on about 4X while sitting. I automatically set any scope to its lowest while walking.

I went for light weight and got a Rem 700 Titanium; got Weaver mounts and a Weaver V3 on it. Even with my old tired eyes and 3X, I can put three into one MOA.

So, I've gotten to this opinion: For 98% of deer hunting, the lower-powered variables or the equivalents to a Weaver K4 are all the scope you'll ever need.

Art
Old February 18, 2002, 12:31 PM   #8
Paul B.

I have to go along with Art. The longest shot I ever made on a Mule Deer was at 427 paces, witnessed. Rifle was a .308 Win. with an old Weaver 3X scope. For the record, I normally do not shoot at game that far. This deer was wounded and getting away. I'll be the first to admit it was a lucky shot. Lucky for me and lucky for the deer. He was brought down and not lost to the coyotes.
While most of my rifles now have variables, I would not feel handicapped at all, if I had to go back to 4X on all of them. One of my pets is a 7x57MM on a Mauser action with an early 2 3/4X Leupold. I can hit the pig silhouettes at 300 meters fairly regularly with it, when I do my part.
BTW. Most of mine stay set at the lowest power, usually 3X.
Paul B.