The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 8, 2019, 12:33 PM   #76
Cheapshooter

I think that Shooting The Bull, and ScubaOz both put out well prepared, thought out, and infirmative youtube reviews.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 8, 2019, 03:28 PM   #77
Jim Watson

I like LuckyGunner. They make a video but they also post a transcript I can read instead of sitting through the uhs and ahs.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:59 AM   #78
SATRP

Gun magazines, youtube, and similar media are entertainment.

If you've been involved with shooting sports for a couple years, you already know what works.

Marketing is social science meshed with artistic expression. The idea is to separate people from their money, like fishing tackle is made to catch fishermen.

The short magnum and mega-magnum craze was induced-desire marketing. Once hunters figured out that a short magnum and mega-magnum will not do anything the '06 has been doing for over a century, they've faded away. Put a .30-30 Win bullet in the boiler room of the biggest elk that has ever walked Earth, and it'll hit dirt within seconds. The .300 Win Mag is an excellent cartridge, but it doesn't kill big game any deader than the '06.

I'd be in tall cotton were I hunting high ridges of the Rockies with a lightweight .308 Win carbine.

There's a reason the Model 1911-A1 remains one of our most popular handguns. The .45 ACP doesn't need high-tech bullets to work. 230 grain ball has worked for better than a century.

If you know sizzle from steak, you're good-to-go.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:11 PM   #79
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATRP View Post
There's a reason the Model 1911-A1 remains one of our most popular handguns. The .45 ACP doesn't need high-tech bullets to work. 230 grain ball has worked for better than a century.

If you know sizzle from steak, you're good-to-go.
And 9mm has worked for even longer than that!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 10, 2019, 12:45 PM   #80
TxFlyFish

I don’t mind gun reviewers being paid or sponsored. If there’s something wrong with a new gun, y’all old internet forum geezers would be griping about it before the first NDA gets breached. #truestory
Old May 13, 2019, 07:47 AM   #81
Carmady

Here's another one of my favorites, Buffalo's Outdoors.

In this video he finds his "practical range" with a S&W 629-7 .44 Mag Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbjvZFqUUQg
Old May 16, 2019, 01:18 PM   #82
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
A definite "+1" on that.

Must be a generational thing because I don't think much of Death Metal music intros, "whazup youtubers", or long scenes of somebody shooting. Oh and there are some advertisements that make me groan as well.

I think I suffer from OFS*

*Old Fart Syndrome - a condition where the afflicted struggle to understand why the younger generation is so darn ignorant, while forgetting that they were there once too.
Agree, some people just want to hear themselves talk and like to fantasize that someone else is probably sooner or later going to hear what they have to say, demonstrate, educate, etc....but, of course, it's not always the case.

Kinda like a "15 minutes of fame" thing....on any given subject there is a lot of opinion and mis-guidance....but I also believe that somewhere in there is a good, informative and objective assessment, if you can find it
Old May 17, 2019, 01:26 PM   #83
SATRP

JJ45,

Excellent analysis.