The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2018, 03:44 PM   #1
rickt300

Shooting habits

I have several rifles I load just to shoot, fine tune loads and shoot some more. I mean if I have components that need using these rifles get the work. Somebody has to do it! Then I have other rifles I hunt deer and elk with and typically these will see from 50 to 100 rounds a year load testing and making sure they are sighted in. Then I have working rifles that get shot more than 200 times a year, these being truck and hog hunting rifles. I have quite a few rifles and hope to wear some of them out and get most of my components shot up before I kick the bucket!
Old August 28, 2018, 10:04 PM   #2
Tsquared

I can shoot rifle just a couple of times a year and I am able to maintain what I consider an accurate shooting level. So I only shoot a few hundred 223 and 6.8SPC. My 35+ year old 30-06 deer rifle will only have a couple of shots fired through it.

Where I need the practice in on pistol. If I don't hit the range at least twice a month my marksmanship drops off dramatically. It also takes a lot of work to get back to where I feel I should be.

I had rotator cuff surgery 2 months ago and haven't been to the range and will not be going for at least another month. I believe my physical therapist gets off on inflicting pain. I tried off hand with 9mm this past weekend and the shock is still too much. I guess I need to break out my Tanfoglio 22LR pistol and work up when I get the Ok from the doc. Hunting season is out this year unless I go left handed - probably will.
Old August 29, 2018, 06:28 AM   #3
mcliff1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
I can shoot rifle just a couple of times a year and I am able to maintain what I consider an accurate shooting level. So I only shoot a few hundred 223 and 6.8SPC. My 35+ year old 30-06 deer rifle will only have a couple of shots fired through it.

Where I need the practice in on pistol. If I don't hit the range at least twice a month my marksmanship drops off dramatically. It also takes a lot of work to get back to where I feel I should be.

I had rotator cuff surgery 2 months ago and haven't been to the range and will not be going for at least another month. I believe my physical therapist gets off on inflicting pain. I tried off hand with 9mm this past weekend and the shock is still too much. I guess I need to break out my Tanfoglio 22LR pistol and work up when I get the Ok from the doc. Hunting season is out this year unless I go left handed - probably will.
I find the same Tsquared - my pistol shooting accuracy drops off significantly without practice unlike my rifle shooting which doesnt need constant practice.
Old August 29, 2018, 07:42 PM   #4
M88

I try and hit the pistol range (5 minutes away) at least once a week, sometimes more. Unfortunately the nearest rifle range is a good 30-40 min drive and I only get there once a month or so. But like lots of folks, I go in spurts. Might take my Garands or my 1903 up there couple times one week, then not for a while. My eyes are not what they used to be though and that often determines which handgun or rifle I choose. But other than my EDC, which I don't carry EVERY day because I often have to cross into NJ which turns me immediately into a felon if I did, other than that one, all my guns are purely for fun. Those are MY "shooting habits". I find if I don't shoot anything for more than a month or so, it takes a few minutes to get "re-acquainted" with any particular gun, but it all comes back quickly and I'm soon shooting as good as when I last was.
Old August 30, 2018, 12:32 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...hope to wear some of them out..." You'd have to be far too young to be playing with real firearms for that to happen. Even at more than 200 rounds per annum, you can expect to hand your firearms down to your kids and grand kids. No other mass produced product is like that.
Old August 31, 2018, 04:40 PM   #6
LE-28

Quote:

Truer words were never spoken. Boy is that the truth. I'm shooting right now twice a week trying to get back to where I was.

I'm starting to feel like it's going to be a long row to hoe.
Old September 1, 2018, 07:13 PM   #7
egd

200 Per annum?? Try 2-300 per week. USPSA, IDPA, steel challenge, speed steel, a little practice....

Pistols, that is. And a PCC.