The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2014, 10:38 PM   #51
Ske1etor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian-in-LA View Post
Every time one of these type threads comes up, there's always someone who beat everyone with high dollar guns with a Mossberg 500. Amazing the ranges aren't swamped with those.
Yet duck blinds across the country are filled with Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's.
Old November 17, 2014, 11:58 PM   #52
Dreaming100Straight

Cheapshooter says

Quote:
How so? If safe handling is followed it doesn't matter if there is one shell in the gun or two, or three, four, five, or six.
Where the rules of an official competition says one, why not two if the guy is just trying out his field gun?
Tell it to the guys shot by those that always practice safe handling following loading multiple shells in disregard of posted safety rules - rules that apply whether or not an official competition is in progress. And yes, range officers will permit exceptions such as circumstances permit.

Ske1itor thinks it noteworthy that

Quote:
duck blinds across the country are filled with Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's
in commenting on Virginian's tongue in cheek remark on how he is amazed that clay ranges aren't swamped with 500's and 870's given the number of posters that claim to frequently whip ass with their pumps. So what is your point, Ske1? The very guys shooting high dollar guns for clays are quite likely to shoot a Wingmaster or a Model 12 in a blind.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old November 18, 2014, 06:55 AM   #53
Virginian

I frequently shoot a Wingmaster at ducks because I like to. My jibe was aimed at the perceived reverse class warfare type comments.
Old November 18, 2014, 07:38 AM   #54
Ske1etor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming100Straight View Post
Cheapshooter says

Tell it to the guys shot by those that always practice safe handling following loading multiple shells in disregard of posted safety rules - rules that apply whether or not an official competition is in progress. And yes, range officers will permit exceptions such as circumstances permit.

Ske1itor thinks it noteworthy that

in commenting on Virginian's tongue in cheek remark on how he is amazed that clay ranges aren't swamped with 500's and 870's given the number of posters that claim to frequently whip ass with their pumps. So what is your point, Ske1? The very guys shooting high dollar guns for clays are quite likely to shoot a Wingmaster or a Model 12 in a blind.
My point? Clay makes a mighty thin gravy and turning your nose up at those who use a field gun instead of some fancy clay specific gun is pretty absurd.
Old November 18, 2014, 07:39 AM   #55
Ske1etor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian-in-LA View Post
I frequently shoot a Wingmaster at ducks because I like to. My jibe was aimed at the perceived reverse class warfare type comments.
And mine was aimed at the obvious (not perceived) class warfare type comments.
Old November 18, 2014, 09:50 AM   #56
Dreaming100Straight

Trouble with someone's gravy argument is that the OP opened this thread to ask what was proper on the clay field and not in the duck blind. As long as he wants to talk about the makings of gravy, is sitting in the blind really about making gravy or is it about sport. Which is the more economical way of putting meat on the table for most shooters would be an entirely different thread topic, but for most shooters wouldn't a trip to a market or farm be a lot less expensive when the cost of guns, gas, time, practice, ammunition, and all expenses of bagging those birds are factored in? One can easily spend the budget of a small country at their local Cabellas or Bass Pro.

As for turning their noses up at field gun shooters on the clay field, there is little of that but some. Most experienced clay shooters are concerned by whether persons with apparent no idea of clay field safety and etiquette will screw the regular shooters day of enjoyment. Then there are some snobs, but how about the snobs in the duck blinds? How welcome are green shooters that are likely to interfere serious shooters day of taking birds? Those are there more for talking, smoking, and having a good old time even if they disregard safety.

If you didn't notice, even the "gun snobs" with their competition guns more often than not own inexpensive hunters to take to the woods and many of those snobbish clubs hold events where everyone shoots inexpensive pumps. Moreover, many of the members of those snobbish clubs shoot clays with the same guns they use in a blind.

I remain more than amused by those who think that asking shooters to comply with safety rules is snobbery.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 18, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old November 18, 2014, 05:48 PM   #57
ZVP

The gun in quwation is a 20 ga, 26"BBLStoger Uplander with Grade "A" Walnut, a straight cut "English-style" stock with a brushed nickel receiver and Water Table The rest is nicely Blued, double triggers and pressed checkering. It looks expensive and graces a rack with it's good looks!
A very nice looking Shotgun that fits my frame asthetically and physically perfect! The barrels shoot where I look! First time for me with a SxS!
I choose this gun to hunt with (if I could, I'm crippled), ghoose it for H/D (it's shorter than my 19 1/2" bbl Pump!) so it points quickly,
It's flexibility, with removable chokes and 3" chambers. It can do it all for my
I'm NOT trying to start trouble here or at the range
I doubt shooters who bring fine quality Doubles to the range don;t get hassles!
I want to do things correctly at the ranges.
ZVP
Old November 18, 2014, 07:38 PM   #58
Virginian

As long as you practice good safety, and as long as the range you visit isn't peopled by [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]s, you'll be fine and have a good time. The vast majority of shooters welcome new blood and are glad to help if asked.
Old November 18, 2014, 09:54 PM   #59
Cheapshooter

Quote:
in disregard of posted safety rules - rules that apply whether or not an official competition is in progress.
The rules are the rules. I didn't say anything about violating them. Maybe if the OP is worried about what others think of his type of gun he needs to find a more fun friendly, informal place to shoot!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 18, 2014, 10:05 PM   #60
B.L.E.

Quote:
The gun in quwation is a 20 ga, 26"BBLStoger Uplander with Grade "A" Walnut, a straight cut "English-style" stock with a brushed nickel receiver and Water Table The rest is nicely Blued, double triggers and pressed checkering.
That gun shouldn't be a problem at most trap and skeet clubs.
From my local club:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital City Trap and Skeet website
No riot type guns allowed.
No guns permitted with barrels less than 26".
Only shot size 7 1/2, 8, 9 permitted.
Old November 18, 2014, 11:09 PM   #61
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
The rules are the rules. I didn't say anything about violating them. Maybe if the OP is worried about what others think of his type of gun he needs to find a more fun friendly, informal place to shoot!
But you also posted that

Quote:
If safe handling is followed it doesn't matter if there is one shell in the gun or two, or three, four, five, or six. Where the rules of an official competition says one, why not two if the guy is just trying out his field gun?
If you going to try out your field gun you had best follow the rules of the club, even if you are not shooting in a sanctioned competition.

ZVP. Your gun sounds just fine.
Old November 18, 2014, 11:48 PM   #62
Cheapshooter

Quote:
But you also posted that

Quote:
If safe handling is followed it doesn't matter if there is one shell in the gun or two, or three, four, five, or six. Where the rules of an official competition says one, why not two if the guy is just trying out his field gun?
Yes, exactly What I said. Official competition. But if there are general rules for any use of the range, then yes, they need to be followed.

Again!
Quote:
Maybe if the OP is worried about what others think of his type of gun he needs to find a more fun friendly, informal place to shoot!
Quote:
As long as you practice good safety, and as long as the range you visit isn't peopled by [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]s, you'll be fine and have a good time. The vast majority of shooters welcome new blood and are glad to help if asked.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 19, 2014, 02:18 AM   #63
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
if there are general rules for any use of the range, then yes, they need to be followed.
That was the point. You probably missed it in the thread as it tended to skip from topic to topic (whether a gun is appropriate, gun snobs, safety rules and what not).

By the way, I have been known to shoot one of those inexpensive 870's now and then and the weekly crew of gun snobs I shoot trap with includes a couple of gents that shoot their Mossbergs pretty damn well. I still would never drag my o/u into the field.
Old November 19, 2014, 02:36 AM   #64
Ricklin

Did not mean to start a S*** storm. Just thought the OP should know that loading more than one is an issue, unless shooting doubles.

Hell, my ol Model 12 holds 5, well actually not as I have a weight in the mag tube.

Point is the rangemaster might not be as polite as I was about it. Don't load more than one on a trap field.
Old November 19, 2014, 06:25 AM   #65
Virginian

26" is a bit restrictive on barrel length. I have a 25" 28 gauge Skeet barrel.
Old November 19, 2014, 07:04 AM   #66
B.L.E.

Quote:
26" is a bit restrictive on barrel length. I have a 25" 28 gauge Skeet barrel.
"Do not invoke conspiracy as explanation when ignorance and incompetence will suffice, as conspiracy implies intelligence and organization."
Old November 19, 2014, 11:37 AM   #67
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Every time one of these type threads comes up, there's always someone who beat everyone with high dollar guns with a Mossberg 500."

Ever think that that's often because the guy with the Mossberg 500 is more interested in shooting? And not just being seen with a high dollar gun by his buddies?

And no matter how you cut it, good fundamentals and practice with a Mossberg beats **** poor fundamentals and strutting with a Perazzi or a Krieghoff any day.

Speaking of beating everyone...

He wasn't one of the bloviating rich dude types, but Dave McCracken, the late moderator of this forum, came to Northern Virginia to shoot with a few of us some years ago.

Dave and I used to have a very good natured repartee on what constituted a proper shotgun for field sports.

He brought his Remington 870, and I brought my Smith & Wesson M3000 riot gun with a cylinder bored 18.5" barrel.

We shot several rounds of wobble trap, and I trounced him.

Granted, I did have an advantage in that I was familiar with wobble, and that was his first time shooting it...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; November 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old November 20, 2014, 07:20 PM   #68
Virginian

No, I take it that they resent the guys with high dollar guns. Otherwise I would think they would simply point out that they did extremely well with their Mossberg, or whatever, and that they believe anyone can, which I happen to agree with. But they have to throw in that barb about the guys with more expensive guns. If everyone would just concentrate on shooting, and shooting whatever they prefer and quit worrying what everyone else is shooting I believe they'd achieve a more harmonious outcome.
BTW, I shoot clay pigeons the majority of the time with Remington 1100s in various gauges, so I am not in any high dollar gun bracket.
Old November 21, 2014, 07:03 AM   #69
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I take it that they resent the guys with high dollar guns."

I don't resent their high dollar guns.

I resent their high dollar cars.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 21, 2014, 09:56 AM   #70
Brutus

Hey guys, I don't understand this snob thing. Shotguns just like rifles and handguns are tools, each excelling at what they were designed for, in example I own four shotguns, an 870 (have had it for 45 years) gun has three barrels a 28" as purchased, a 30" for ducks and geese, and a slug barrel for deer.
Then there is my Berretta o/u ultra light 12ga. for pheasant, light enough for a five mile hike in the field. Have counted on an 870 20ga. for grouse in the north woods which also serves double duty as a light recoiling shotgun my gal pal enjoys shooting on occasion. My recent purchase of the CZ ringneck was an attempt to find a shorter faster handling gun for use in the thick under brush of the north woods when Grouse hunting, using it at the trap range helps me to become a better shot due to it's shorter barrel and the fact it throws less lead. Would I like to own a Krieghoff or an Ed Brown .45, you betcha, but it ain't in this poor boys budget. Besides I'd be so worried about putting a nick in it I probably couldn't hit anything and having a shotgun strictly for trap wouldn't help me in the field. Guess my opinion is to look down my nose at the snobs because that thing ain't any good for putting food on the table.
Old November 21, 2014, 01:39 PM   #71
Dreaming100Straight

This thread is such BS. What some call a gun snob is just another AH. It depends on what you call a high dollar gun, but there are plenty of guys with more expensive guns that are more than willing to help a new shooter out. Of course there are always some guys with inexpensive guns who are able to outshoot ones with high dollar over unders. There are so many more of them that there are more likely to be good shooters with lower dollar pumps.
Old November 21, 2014, 04:39 PM   #72
Brutus

I have to agree, an AH is an AH regardless of where or when. We have an elderly gentlemen at our regulation trap field who must be in his eighty's shoots a very high end single shot and he never seems to miss a clay dagnabit. Still he's as sharp as a stick with a great sense of humor. Shooting a squad with him is always a pleasure and he's very quick to offer advise when asked. Just wish some of those pointers would make me half the shot he is.
Old November 21, 2014, 05:55 PM   #73
Virginian

I resent the "souped up" rice burners with the fart can mufflers.
Old November 21, 2014, 06:52 PM   #74
eastbank

i wonder what they would think of a big hemi ? eastbank.
Old November 21, 2014, 07:45 PM   #75
B.L.E.

I used to shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays weekly at our local club and if there were any Krieghoff or Perazzi shotguns there, they must have been cleverly disguised as Berettas, Brownings, and Benellis. I saw nearly as many semi-autos as over/unders.