The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 14, 2012, 11:13 PM   #51
shortwave

Quote:
But the laws of no State can be considered a license to kill. If you intentionally hurt or kill another person, even in what you claim is self defense, you have prima facie committed a crime unless/until it can be established that your act of violence was justified.
This is the reason,and it never fails, when someone pipes in on one of these types of threads and posts, " I'm from (name your state) and here, if you come in my house I'm gonna (again,fill in the rest).... it just makes you cringe.

I'm not trying to offend anyone but it never seems to fail that something like this is said.

I was in Fla. visiting some relation which is in LE. We went to a friend of relatives apartment to pick friend up and I was commenting on how secure the apartment complex seemed as we walked into the apartment parking lot to leave.
Relatives friend says "that it is a very secure complex and since the new castle doctrine, many don't even lock their car doors since it was legal to shoot someone if you catch them in your car. Let alone your apartment."
Relation responded to his buddy that "he better get an understanding of the law cause he(relative) would hate to have to come out and arrest him(friend) for murder.

On the way to the restaurant, my relation took the opportunity to explain the Fla. castle doctrine law in detail to his friend.

So again, since this is very serious business, worth repeating:

Quote:
But the laws of no State can be considered a license to kill. If you intentionally hurt or kill another person, even in what you claim is self defense, you have prima facie committed a crime unless/until it can be established that your act of violence was justified.
Know your states laws!

Last edited by shortwave; October 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old October 15, 2012, 01:49 PM   #52
Edward429451

My home defense plan is in place, but is top secret and can not be divulged online.

What I can suggest is to go outside your house and take a good look at your place with the mind that you are going to attack it and gain entry. Look for weak spots and entry points. then go inside and do the same. Where will they be coming in, where would they take cover if it escalated into a gunfight, where is the fam likely to be, all that sort of thing. and then harden. Make a plan. Make a backup plan. Discuss it with fam or roommates and perform drills.

You'll discover the holes in the plan and can tweak the plan to work. I have a little fun with it and me and my bud role play a little and pseudo attack each others home to test the defensive capability.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:09 PM   #53
StainlessSteel215

Yessir - mine is about 75% to where I want it to be. The addition of 2 more motion sensor lights on either side of the house will make me feel better. Ill be honest, my ADT security system gives me great peace of mind.

The biggest one that gets me is when people get new entertainment equipment (tv's etc) and advertise it by leaving their giant boxes out for trash pick-up.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:09 PM   #54
dannyb

PA Castle Doctrine

I am not a lawyer, but the PA Castle Doctrine gets a lot of discussion in the PA Firearms Owners Association discussion boards. The presence of an intruder does not, as far as I know, give the homeowner the right to just blindly blaze away; but forcible entry of an occupied dwelling, with the emphasis on forcible, gives rise to the assumption that the person who has entered is a threat. Leaving your front door unlocked and having somebody enter is not necessarily assumed to be a threat unless that person is confronted and refuses to leave. At that point, if I remember correctly (and I am NOT a lawyer so I may be wrong), the person who is trespassing and refuses to leave becomes a hostile intruder. The discussions on PFOA generally revolve around there being no need to retreat, unlike SS215's statement. In Philadelphia proper, the DA may decide to prosecute anyway, but if there is enough press generally has not done so in cases where a homeowner is confronted by an intruder.

I did live in MA during the era of "you must retreat if possible." The DA in the Boston area at the time was Newman Flanagan. One of his successful prosecutions of a person who shot an intruder even though there was a possible retreat was overturned by the appeals court. It seemed that the appeals court believed that even though the man could have retreated, he was not obligated to leave his 14 YO daughter upstairs and undefended under the law.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:24 AM   #55
StainlessSteel215

Great post Danny, thanks for the support and well worth looking into (for me anyways). This thread is swaying closer to the legal side but I think its warranted in a discussion about home defense. Great posts everyone...its amazing to see the differences state to state. Best way around those situations...is build a kickass home defense plan and KNOW the laws!