The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 3, 2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Nunya53

Montana Rifle Co

Anyone have experience with Montana Rifle Company rifle's?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old December 3, 2017, 06:44 PM   #2
taylorce1

I had a 1:8 twist .243 that I bought as part of group buy. Very nicely put together rifle, problem was its weight. Specs from MRC would of had it weighing in around 8.5 lbbs scoped. However, after putting an 11 ounce Leupold on it in lightweight rings and bases it came in closer to 10 lbs. I never shot it and was able to send it back for a refund.

I have some pictures somewhere I'll see if I can upload them when I get to my computer.
Old December 3, 2017, 07:00 PM   #3
MrBorland

I don’t have any personal experience with them, but I’ve read enough negatives about them for me to put them on my “never buy” list. Matter of fact, my ‘Smith, a highly-respected F-class rifle builder, won’t even accept work on MRC rifles and/or actions. JMO, YMMV, keep doing your research, etc.
Old December 3, 2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Nunya53

That is very disappointing...I was looking at their extreme X2 in 260 Rem over the Ruger FTW 260....Guess I'll stick with the Ruger but not fond of the laminate stock...

Jerry
Old December 3, 2017, 07:43 PM   #5
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya53
That is very disappointing...Guess I'll stick with the Ruger but not fond of the laminate stock…
Well, again…keep doing your research. It'd be wise to make your decision based on much more than 2 folks' input (one of whom has admitted to not having experience with one) - there seem to be plenty of satisfied customers, after all.
Old December 3, 2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBorland
Well, again…keep doing your research.
Sound advice...I all keep looking around.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old December 3, 2017, 09:53 PM   #7
taylorce1

I was wrong on the weight, I went back to my review of the rifle. It was 8lbs 7oz scoped, right at 9 lbs with sling and five rounds, and almost 0 lbs with bipod. I know this may seem a little picky, but I was buying the rifle to hunt mule deer between 7,000 and 12,000 feet and weight gets to be a big issue. Plus I spent $1200 on it instead of buying a similar priced Kimber Montana in the weight range I wanted, just not the twist so I couldn't play with the super heavy 6mm bullets.

Photobucket is holding my pictures hostage, and I can't seem to get them off of there at the moment. I do believe MRC went through some growing pains early on, but they seem to have them ironed out. If a guy is wanting a left handed rifle similar to a M70 Winchester, they're pretty much it. I wouldn't have any issues buying another if, I could change things up and make it more of a full custom rifle.
Old December 4, 2017, 05:01 PM   #8
RIDE-RED 350r

Are they as pretty as they look on the web page?? I really like the looks of the AVR and ALR and would love to own one someday. Not that pretty is the only metric I care about, but it sure is nice to have something that functions well and is pleasing to the eye...My taste anyway
Old December 4, 2017, 05:55 PM   #9
Nunya53

I haven't seen one in person but they are handsome. I was actually looking at the X2 in 260 Remington but will probably go with a Ruger FTW due to the lack of availability in my area...

Jerry
Old December 5, 2017, 08:37 PM   #10
taylorce1

Found these pictures, I know you can't tell much from them. However, in my defense I was on some serious painkillers at this time for a shattered ankle.

Old December 7, 2017, 08:45 AM   #11
Dranrab

Taylorforce, recently I was interested in a higher end rifle. The MRC came onto my radar. I started doing research and came across your thread (I can't remember where) about the weight. I texted MRC and asked the actual weight of on in 257 Roberts. The first response was "right around 7 pounds." I pressed for better info. The person I texted with said he just happened to have one handy and weighed it. 7.03 pounds. I don't know what happened with yours, but based on all I have read, it is anomalous.

What did you end up doing with the rifle?

Edit:

I found the thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/10844466/1

Last edited by Dranrab; December 7, 2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old December 7, 2017, 09:23 AM   #12
fourbore

I have a 550 magnum CZ that was customized by MRC and the workmanship is flawless and function is now 100% reliable.

Moving into a higher volume production maybe a different matter. But, my experience has been very good, starting with good people and coupled with good value. This is the type of business we need more in a time of declining Remington and Ruger quality.

I like kimber too. Although, I dont get the deal with all the threaded muzzles. A little uncalled for touch of ugly. That should be a choice with appropriate barrel length to compliment the choice.
Old December 7, 2017, 09:59 AM   #13
taylorce1

Quote:
What did you end up doing with the rifle?
I got a full refund.
Old December 7, 2017, 11:02 AM   #14
old roper

taylorce1, I read your post on 24 hr. You posted that you traded rifle in and you didn't take full refund.

taylorce1 Offline
Campfire Guide

On the Santa Fe Trail
Darrik,

I'll call you in a few days. I'll trade it in, but I'm not taking a full refund on the rifle.

Chad
NRA Life Member
Old December 7, 2017, 01:01 PM   #15
taylorce1

Darrick didn't have in stock what I was wanting to trade on, a Kimber Montana .243 Win and he didn't know when he'd get the next shipment. He refunded all of my money except the shipping, as far as I'm concerned it was fully refunded.

To also be honest I feel pretty badly about the way I handled that situation. Looking back I'd have handled it completely different. I know I was on a lot of Percocet and Valium at the time and my judgement wasn't always the best.
Old December 7, 2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Dranrab

Darrik is a damn good guy. That said, I don't think you did anything wrong. You posted valuable factual information and didn't run anyone down. That's what the internet and forums are all about.

For the rest of the forum, Darrik is the GM at Whittaker Guns. Whittaker is a major retailer both storefront and online. Get on their email list. They send out one or two a week, and sometimes the deals are insane.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/shop?...ize:20,index:0
Old December 10, 2017, 10:11 AM   #17
BIGR

Great information on Montana Rifle Co, guys. I would like to hear some more input if anyone has any knowledge of the recent models. I am a left handed long gun shooter that has only owned left handed hunting rifles and used them for many years. I must mention that I am left eye dominant also. Majority of the time with one shot kills I have never had an issue working the bolt on a right hand rifle. There was a few times in my hunting career where I missed with the first shot and tried to work the bolt for a second shot. The animal was gone before I racked another shell in for an accurate shot. You ask why am I all of sudden taking interest in a left hand rifle. My main concern is of course if there is ever a case rupture all the escaping gases and crap is going to be in front of my eyes and face. Will that ever happen, maybe never but it could. Any left hand rifle I buy will have to be a stainless or one of a special coating like Cerokote. I would like to have a lite weight rifle but that is not a deal breaker right now. Looks like the X2 Montana has a very similar action to the model 70 action on the Winchester. I do own two Model 70's and I have always liked that smooth action on them, but the kicker is they are right handed of course.

I welcome any input on the subject and also would be interested in any other companies that make left handed rifles in stainless.