The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 20, 2010, 06:47 AM   #1
gyvel

Form 3 vs. Form 4

What is the difference between an item on a Form 3 vs. a Form 4?
Old March 20, 2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Form 3 is for tax free dealer to dealer transfer. Form 4 is the $200 tax transfer to an individual.
Old March 20, 2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Crosshair

I see I was already beaten to the punch as I was writing this.
Old March 21, 2010, 02:53 AM   #4
gyvel

So, in a hypothetical instance, if an NFA weapon is advertised as being "on a Form 3" (assuming it's not any sort of dealer sample) can it be transferred to an individual if the individual submits the proper paperwork (i.e. Form 4) to ATF?
Old March 21, 2010, 05:43 AM   #5
1911rocks

Form 3 items

Transfer a Form 3 to an individual? Not necessarily a Form 3 is also used when a Foreign made NFA weapon (like a MP5 in select fire, not converted in the US) is transferred from a Dealer to a Dealer, or to a Government Agent (Fed, LEO,etc). This type of NFA weapon cannot be transferred to a Private Individual.
Old March 21, 2010, 01:28 PM   #6
David Hineline

If a gun is listed on form 3 that means it is in dealer inventory and ready to transfer directs in an individual in the state of the dealer's license or transfer to a dealer tax free in the state of residence of the buyer so that dealer can transfer on form 4 to the buyer.

There are guns that transfer on form 3 only to other dealers but stating such in a for sale post would be silly since all dealer sample guns would transfer on a form 3 and that would be assumed.

If a gun is listed as on a form 4 the downside to that is is selling out of state the transfer tax is doubled. One tax to get it to a dealer one tax to get it to an individual both on form 4.
Old March 22, 2010, 05:28 AM   #7
gyvel

Quote:
If a gun is listed as on a form 4 the downside to that is is selling out of state the transfer tax is doubled. One tax to get it to a dealer one tax to get it to an individual both on form 4.
So, in this case, if the weapon is owned by an individual and NOT in the inventory of a dealer, the individual must pay $200.00 to transfer it to an SOT3, who, presumably, will sell it to the purchaser who must pay another $200.00?
Old March 22, 2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Joat

Quote:
... if the weapon is owned by an individual and NOT in the inventory of a dealer, the individual must pay $200.00 to transfer it to an SOT3, who, presumably, will sell it to the purchaser who must pay another $200.00?
If the weapon is transfered in state there is no need for it to be transfered to a SOT3 prior to transferring to the buyer. If the transaction crosses state lines than yes, it would need to be transferred to a SOT3 (tax paid) then transferred to the buyer (tax paid).

joat