The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 24, 2009, 10:53 AM   #26
Maser

Wasn't it the A-Team who made full auto Mini-14s so popular?

But, yeah unless you're a Class 2 Manufacturer, you will spend a good 10-15 years behind bars for converting it yourself as a normal civilian. It's perfectly legal to know how to do the conversion, but actually doing it is where the legal issues arise.
Old January 24, 2009, 12:42 PM   #27
45Marlin carbine

youtube has some vids of Mini 14's and M30's being fired (accurately to boot) with the legal double-tap sear modification.
Old January 24, 2009, 01:56 PM   #28
ROFOCALE

What is the double tap sear?
Old January 24, 2009, 02:01 PM   #29
45Marlin carbine

you should go to youtube and check - a vid is worth 10,000 words. it is legal to do that mod.
Old January 24, 2009, 10:23 PM   #30
PTK

Quote:
What is the double tap sear?
A .005-.007" shim under the secondary sear to induce firing upon pulling the trigger and firing upon release of the trigger. Pretty neat, actually... works reliably, too
Old January 24, 2009, 11:11 PM   #31
B. Lahey

I just searched youtube and came up with bupkis. Did a google search, also bupkis.

What is this modification known as is common usage, because nobody calls it a "double tap sear"?
Old January 25, 2009, 09:45 AM   #32
Hkmp5sd

Actually, it's a paperclip. It all started on The High Road several years ago.

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=62411

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...a-ee42080d81e8
Old January 25, 2009, 04:08 PM   #33
B. Lahey

Ok, found some videos. Didn't see a single one where they managed to get through a mag without multiple malfunctions.

Seems like a pretty stupid modification if it turns a reliable rifle into a POS.
Old January 25, 2009, 04:14 PM   #34
PTK

Quote:
Ok, found some videos. Didn't see a single one where they managed to get through a mag without multiple malfunctions.

Seems like a pretty stupid modification if it turns a reliable rifle into a POS.
It works if you use a proper shim and actually get it to the correct thickness for the rifle in question. Mine has been 100% reliable - literally.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:38 PM   #35
johnwilliamson062

If I could "selector switch" this mod I would be very interested in it. As is, no interest. Would rather bump-fire.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:40 PM   #36
guntotin_fool

All of you looking for "mods" to make a mini into a AC556 are looking at serious jail time. Its a crime taken very very seriously and prosecuted fully. there is no "warning period" or any other nonsense.

Now the other issue that NO one has mentioned is that if you buy a AC556, you are buying a factory issued weapon with Factory Customer Service behind it. I do not think there is any other class three available to the private citizen that has this feature. If you look at all the conversion AR"s and M16's out there, if you have a problem, you are Looking at SERIOUS money to get it fixed. if your AC ruger dies, ship it back to connecticut, and they will make it right and for a VERY reasonable price.
Old January 25, 2009, 11:34 PM   #37
jmorris

I tried the double tap trigger setup saturday mine took a .015 shim. It ran just fine but would need a comp to keep on target. Using an IDPA target first shot into body 2nd into head at about 15 yds.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:23 AM   #38
hoytinak

Quote:
I tried the double tap trigger setup saturday mine took a .015 shim. It ran just fine but would need a comp to keep on target. Using an IDPA target first shot into body 2nd into head at about 15 yds.
Lean into it. Controlling a fullauto is pretty easy with practice.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:05 AM   #39
PTK

Quote:
Seriously, it's a .223, put some muscle behind it.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:02 AM   #40
jmorris

I didn’t say it kicked hard just there is quite a bit of muzzle rise when compared to my JP, Miculek or Grams f2 equipped AR’s. It doesn’t make as much noise though. If my mini were threaded I would give it another try. If it were full auto you would have time for it to "settle", but it's not.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:01 PM   #41
4V50 Gary
Staff

When this thread was ressurected...

The question was asked if removal of the secondary sear would result in full automatic fire.

It is conceivable that burst may be achieved. But there is a danger to it that can damage the gun, injure the shooter and anyone near the shooter. Why? It's called timing. The purpose of the auto-sear trip is to delay the forward motion of the hammer. This gives the bolt time to lock up the action so as not to fire out of battery. Allowing the hammer to follow the bolt forward can result in the gun firing out-of-battery and firing out-of-battery is a no-no because of the safety concerns mentioned earlier. Even in a SHTF situation, I would not recommend trying it because it's better to have slow, aimed fire that allows for the barrel to cool (rather than ruin your barrel), increased hit probability than expensive bullets flying harmlessly overhead, and finally, having your gun blow up and you or someone next to you injured. To prevent firing out of battery, the gun designer introduces the selective fire mechanism which delays the hammer's fall so as to ensure proper lock-up.

My recommendation: Don't try it. Besides, it's not worth a visit from the nice gentlemen of the ATF. Spend the ducats and buy a real AC556 with the paperwork. Time outside of prison is time that may be enjoyed shooting it. That's worth every penny.
Old January 31, 2009, 09:47 AM   #42
jmorris

Quote:
Allowing the hammer to follow the bolt forward can result in the gun firing out-of-battery
If you have a mini 14 go get it out of the safe and being to draw the charging handle to the rear while looking into the slot behind the bolt. Notice before the locking lugs are fully rotated out of position a “block” protrudes behind the firing pin, thus preventing the scenario you are talking about. With many other designs you are absolutely correct.
Old January 31, 2009, 11:09 AM   #43
4V50 Gary
Staff

The tail of the firing pin was certainly designed to be function that way by Garand. It is achieved through the web of the receiver (that metal bridge that is seen when the receiver is flipped upside down). That feature has been carried over first into the M-14 and then by Ruger to the Mini-14. Still, the timing issue exists. Repeated pounding on the tail can result in its fracture and the firing pin can jam forward at some point in time.

Poorly made bridges, such as those found on some Springfield M-1A, can be susceptible to it. That's why it's important to inspect the tail of the firing pin and if it is stressed, to replace it on the M-1A.
Old January 31, 2009, 09:46 PM   #44
jmorris

Quote:
Repeated pounding on the tail can result in its fracture and the firing pin can jam forward at some point in time.
It is true, water can erode granite, and we should always be on the look out. Good point.
Old March 9, 2009, 05:40 AM   #45
Jim6298

converting a Mini 14

I was a class 3 dealer for 15 yrs. I've had a few AC556's there junk compared to an M-16. They were never designed as a military gun. They were designed as a police gun. I remember seeing the French Police using them in the late 70's. I had a brand new one i got from a police dept as a tradin. Fired a 30 rnd clip thru it and the selector blew off. inside there made just like the Mini 14. "Cheap" I wouldnt buy one.
Old March 9, 2009, 06:07 PM   #46
Skans

Quote:
I was a class 3 dealer for 15 yrs. I've had a few AC556's there junk compared to an M-16. They were never designed as a military gun. They were designed as a police gun. I remember seeing the French Police using them in the late 70's. I had a brand new one i got from a police dept as a tradin. Fired a 30 rnd clip thru it and the selector blew off. inside there made just like the Mini 14. "Cheap" I wouldnt buy one.
I have an AC556 13" model. I've fired thousands of rounds through it with absolutely no problem. No breakages, no melted barrel, nothing. I find it hard to believe that a selector on a mini-14 "blew off"?? The thing is in the rear of the receiver - no where near the chamber or any moving parts. Although, I have heard of one other AC556 with a selector switch that broke. It was easily fixed by the factory under the warranty program.

They are no less or more "junky" than M16's....which are basically disposable infantry guns. Their biggest flaw is the barrel that is not chrome lined and tends to heat up because it's not especially thick. The other complaint is that it's not as easy to swap out magazines as it is in the AR15.

An AC556 can be made to fire as accurate as an M16. Heavy 1" barrels and adjustable gas blocks are available, as well as well made tactical stocks. Personally, I'd rather have a factory made AC556 than an AR15 with a registered DIAS or lightning link. Talk about reliability problems!!