The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM   #76
agtman

Quote:
Is this thread supposed to be about .41 or 10mm?
Neither, actually.

It really wanted to be all about the Herters .401 PowerMag which, once upon a time, briefly competed with the nascent .41 Mag for adoption ...

http://www.gunblast.com/Fryxell_Herters401.htm

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #77
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Is this thread supposed to be about .41 or 10 mm?"

Yes.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #78
BBarn

The 41 Mag. is a fine cartridge, but so are the 357 Mag. and 44 Mag. If you want something in the middle, I suppose it fills the niche. It might have caught on more if Dirty Harry hadn't made such a splash with the 44 Mag.

Not sure why the writers in the early 60's thought a 44 Special level load in 40 or 41 caliber was just what was needed at the time. But it's clear that the 41 Mag., as released, was generally more than what was suggested.

Since it never caught on well, it's pretty much been a handloaders cartridge for many years. I've shot a few, and even handloaded it some. But the 44 Mag can be essentially be handload to 41 Mag levels, so there isn't really a desire to have one on my part. The niche just doesn't appeal to me that much.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #79
Real Gun

Quote:
"Is this thread supposed to be about .41 or 10 mm?"

Yes.
As long as the mod is interested.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #80
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarn View Post
The 41 Mag. is a fine cartridge, but so are the 357 Mag. and 44 Mag. If you want something in the middle, I suppose it fills the niche. It might have caught on more if Dirty Harry hadn't made such a splash with the 44 Mag.

Not sure why the writers in the early 60's thought a 44 Special level load in 40 or 41 caliber was just what was needed at the time. But it's clear that the 41 Mag., as released, was generally more than what was suggested.
Pretty sure it had to do with getting a larger caliber in a smaller frame revolver and the simplest way to accomplish more power with a smaller revolver is to find the middle point between .357 and .44 and build a revolver around that middle ground caliber.

At the time the .41 was being pushed, the Charter Arms Bulldog didn't exist. When it finally did get released, the Bulldog was one of, if not the smallest, lightest .44 Special revolver in production and while it was only a 5 shot and with strong loads had a heavy recoil, for the purposes of being a "stopper" it did that well. One selling point to the Bulldog and .44 Special is you can shoot the .44 Special in the .44 Magnum revolvers and rifles many already owned.

The .41 can't compete with that versatility, it couldn't back then and it sure can't do it today.
Old Today, 04:25 AM   #81
jetinteriorguy

Ya know, some of us just don't follow the crowd.
Old Today, 05:25 AM   #82
saleen322

Another good feature of the 41 mag is accuracy. I have yet to see a 41 magnum that is not accurate.
Old Today, 06:58 AM   #83
Nanuk

Quote:
Holsters for L and N frames are not interchangeable.
?What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #84
Nanuk

Quote:
I'd really like to know if that 135 grain 10mm Mag is specifically built for 1900 fps or if it's just a .40 S&W bullet that's being driven 1000 fps faster than it was designed for.
Where do you get 1000 fps more? Do you think all 40 loads are @ 900 fps?

https://www.nosler.com/sporting-handgun-pistol-bullet/

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865910067257

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865916260409
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old Today, 07:56 AM   #85
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
Holsters for L and N frames are not interchangeable.
?What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

It would be more civil and less arrogant to write that you didn't understand. The point was that the guns might have similar weights but are not the same size and equally concealable.
Old Today, 08:16 AM   #86
sarge83

I have a Blackhawk I bought like new and have yet to shoot it, shortage of ammo, being the main reason.

I do have an anecdotal about the .41 and stopping power. Back in the early 80's a relative of mine was a new officer and him and his partner were called out to put down a cow that had sort of gone crazy on its owner. My relative being the rookie was told to go out into the cow pasture that was a fenced in area with trails in it and drive the cow towards the other officer and he was going to shoot it. My relative was said okay, but make sure you shoot the damned cow and not me! He went into the grown up pasture and sure enough drove it straight to the waiting officer with his M58 .41 Magnum and he shot it right between the eyes. The cow staggered and shook its head for a few seconds and then bolted right by the shooting officer and out through the fence. The round bounced right off leaving only a bloody spot. A couple of hours later the owner had tracked it down in a neighbors yard and dispatched it with a .12 gauge.