The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 15, 2018, 12:48 PM   #26
Pathfinder45

Wendyj, I have been through this with an original Ruger Vaquero. The smallest 6-shot group I could get at 25 yards was about 6" and many were more like a foot. After slugging and miking for each cylinder throat, I concluded that I needed to ream the throats. I bought a .4525 reamer and did it myself on a drill press. It now shoots about like yours does. Since I also have the 4.6" barrel, I figure that's about the best I can expect out of this gun. Since yours shoots as well as it does, you may have little to gain by reaming your Blackhawk. If you could be certain of turning it into a one-inch shooter, it would be worth it; but I doubt that's the case. I'm considering going to a 7-1/2" Blackhawk in hopes of reliable accuracy at 50 yards, which my Vaquero will simply not deliver. I'm all for reaming cylinder throats, if and when it's called for, and there is a high degree of certainty that there will be substantial benefit.
Old October 15, 2018, 06:12 PM   #27
cjwils

Since measuring devices can be inaccurate and difficult to use perfectly, why not try a simpler test? Just get some .451 bullets and see if they drop through the cylinder, or slide through with a light push. On my Blackhawk 45 convertible, they do drop through. Never had any problems.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM   #28
GeauxTide

Quote:
You know I can't take anything serious from a Crimson Tide fan.
Now, datz funny! Reauxl Tide, Cher!!!
Old Today, 07:31 AM   #29
Wendyj

45 revolver

this was around 3 inches after I finally got up and down straightened out. By then was out of bullets. Now to go back and try some more. 8 inch target so still within Bambi range at 25 yards which is best I will ever do.
Target is sideways. Always does that on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45.jpg (80.7 KB, 3 views)