The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 22, 2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Centuriator

First Session with Langdon Tactical M9 Elite LTT

I have owned M9s over the years, various models, styles, etc. I've shot Uncle Sam's old and busted, and Wilson's new hotness models, etc. I had gotten out of Beretta M9s, but was intrigued when I heard Earnie Langdon had come out with one in partnership with Beretta and so I bought his 92 Elite LTT with his trigger work.

I have used and shot dozens of makes and models of handguns over the years and I've long gotten over "fan boy" reactions to the newest model handgun, or gizmo, or "upgrade" or whatever. I shoot them all competently, some better than others, and have mostly Glocks becuse they are ... Glocks.

So, I decided I wanted to get myself a really nice M9 again and chose Langdon's model of the 92.

Well ... ASTOUNDING ... probably because I had not shot a DA/SA with a superb trigger group in it for a very long time I was doubly impressed. Langdon's work on this model of the M2 is simply nothing short of amazing. I mean. Really. Amazing. I've had one of Wilson's brigadier tactical, but this is, in my opinion, significant better. Better feel, better balance and superior trigger.

The double action is smooth as butter and the single action is simply amazing.

I put the first magazine in it, a 20 round MecGar and stood at 7 yards and gave myself 30 seconds on the clock to put all 20 in the black of a B8 target circle. I was not sure what to expect, but the sight picture is fantastic, nice and crisp and the front fiber optic, thin like I like my front sight post and the more narrow rear sight opening, with plenty of daylight, really allows for fantastic accuracy. I squeezed off all 20 rounds in 22 seconds and here is the result.

I'm very pleased, to say the least, and look forward to putting many more rounds through it.

Old September 22, 2018, 07:31 PM   #2
Eazyeach

Congrats on the new piece! Might I ask where you found one in the wild? I should’ve pre ordered one when Buds had them. I’ve got the Wilson and if it’s better than that, well then that pistol must be sweet.
Old September 23, 2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Centuriator

I ordered it directly from Langdon Tactical.

https://www.langdontactical.com/92-elite-ltt/
Old September 23, 2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
Congrats on the new piece! Might I ask where you found one in the wild? I should’ve pre ordered one when Buds had them. I’ve got the Wilson and if it’s better than that, well then that pistol must be sweet.
Nice guns but in no way do they compare to a WILSON. Just two entirely different levels there. Don’t get me wrong though, Langdon does good work.

The WILSON COMBAT BRIG TAC is the world’s finest Beretta 92 pattern weapons system platform. The Langdon probably a (very) distant second.
Old September 23, 2018, 05:38 PM   #5
disseminator

Wow, those prices are nuts! Bud's had 'em for about $600 which IMO is about what they are worth. Glad you like your new gun OP, enjoy it!
Old September 23, 2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Centuriator

@Model12Win

You do realize that Langdon was the one who taught Bill Wilson and his staff about modifying the 92, right? And your comment is overstatement at its finest. How much time do you have with each iteration of the 92? Me? I owned and shot a Wilson Brig Tactical, a lot. The Langden is superior in every way.

@disseminator Bud's did not have the Langdon M9 Elite LTT for $600. You are confusing it with the older version of Langdon's Beretta M9 edition which Bud's had for $678. This is not the model we are talking about in this thread.
Old September 23, 2018, 06:32 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Looking on the site directly they're pretty pricey before you even add trigger work. An LGS I visit pretty often has a Langdon M9. I really like those grips. I'd pick it up but I already have a bunch of the parts separately. My plan was to pick up a 92FS and drop the parts in. I understand these are more than that so I'm sure it's very nice to shoot. As long as you enjoy it that's what matters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 23, 2018, 08:07 PM   #8
Eazyeach

Oh dang, that’s not the one I was thinking about. $1749 for the one I want. Looks like I’ll just have to make do with my Wilson M9. Unless I hit the Powerball!!
Old September 24, 2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
Nice guns but in no way do they compare to a WILSON. Just two entirely different levels there. Don’t get me wrong though, Langdon does good work.
I suspect he was making reference to the Wilson-modified/upgraded Berettas, which are modified Berettas and NOT made from scratch like the more-expensive line of Wilson 1911s. In that case (i.e., a Wilson Beretta), his Langdon Beretta may be as good (or better) than a Wilson.

An acquaintance has a Langdon customized SIG P220, from back when Langdon and SIG still worked closely together, and it's the best SIG P220 I've ever handled or shot. I've had several standard P220s, a P220 Match, a P220 Super Match, and an upgraded Gray Guns P228 (which was very nice) -- and I'd rather have that Langdon P220 than any of them. Langdon does great work.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; September 24, 2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old September 24, 2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Jim Watson

I have not seen a Langdonized Beretta but got to see a Wilson version at the IDPA Nationals. It was well done, but the DA was not to my liking. Smooth, but not as light as I expected from reading Internet Fluff, and with a "rollover" feel similar to my Kahr which I find difficult to shoot well.

My main takeaway for both is that unless you pay for a gunsmithed trigger job, you are paying extra for "features." I do consider the G lever and fibre optic sights worth having, but there is a lot of frou frou in the rest of the name dropping models.
Old September 24, 2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Centuriator

@Jim Watson ... you do not have to buy them, but is kind of stupid, in my opinion, to dismiss them as "name dropping" models. But to each his own, if it makes you feel better about your choices to run down other people's choices, I guess that's just how you roll in life. Kind of pathetic.
Old September 24, 2018, 11:03 AM   #12
jr24

Getting kinda testy.

So, is it just a 92 with a few options, but with a standard DA/SA Beretta trigger? I ask because I have never found the Beretta 92 trigger particularly astounding compared to the conpetition.

Or does yours have a slicked up trigger too?
Old September 24, 2018, 11:08 AM   #13
TunnelRat

On the website it looks like you can add trigger work.

Old September 24, 2018, 12:04 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Centuriator,

I believe you are reading disparagement into Jim Watson's post that isn't intended, even though his choice of terms might have been better. He's simply saying that trigger work is fundamental to practical accuracy and should have priority over skeletonized hammers and colored sights and other features because it matters more than they do to how well you can shoot the weapon. He is pointing out it is often the case that you will find such features on name builds that haven't had a good trigger job done, which is getting the cart before the horse from a practical accuracy standpoint.

There is nothing to prevent you or anyone else from trying accessories and features out. Lord knows I went through more hundreds of dollars than I care to admit with my 1911's trying to find the next greatest "thing" for them. One by one, all but two came back off the gun, so I have a drawer with shock buffers, extended recoil spring guides, funny trigger designs, oddball sights, a titanium firing pin and other "features" that proved in some way to hinder more than they helped.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 24, 2018, 02:33 PM   #15
Jim Watson

What is it, only unalloyed admiration for a cluster of styling gimmicks is acceptable on the gunboards? Not the first time I have been chewed out for disrespect of somebody's idea of what will sell.

Any road, I would like to see a Langdonized Beretta. It would correct the main failing of my present DA/SA gun , the Sig-Sauer P226.
Old September 24, 2018, 03:15 PM   #16
Centuriator

Referring to "a cluster of styling gimmicks" is certainly not disparagement, nor "there is a lot of frou frou in the rest of the name dropping models." I know because a moderator told me it is not. Add that to the fact you have never even seen one let alone shot one just kind of doubles it all down. Whatever, Jim. Some people, like you, need to behave like this to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Last edited by Centuriator; September 24, 2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old September 24, 2018, 03:24 PM   #17
TunnelRat

I think you're going way overboard. His response doesn't read nearly as negative to me.

Like I said above, if you like it that's really all that matters. However, don't be surprised if you post about something on the internet and someone disagrees with you or brings up a point you don't particularly agree with. That happens a lot. If you can't accept it or ignore it, well Instagram is a thing.

Old September 24, 2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Mal H
Staff

That's enough of the bickering. Continue with the review or non-disparaging reviews of the review or it won't continue at all ...
Old September 24, 2018, 03:33 PM   #19
Centuriator

Here is a video review of the handgun (not mine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYlGrC4tpQ
Old September 26, 2018, 06:00 PM   #20
Centuriator

UPDATE: Second Session

Put another 100 rounds through it today and another fantastic session. I also have a 93A1 and I have to say, it is nearly every bit as good and I think I even prefer the thin front sight. I do not like the 1911 style grip on the 93A1 as much as I like the ergonomics on the Langdon. My shot placement is noticeably better with the Beretta 92 than with any of my Glocks.