The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 12, 2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Prof Young

No electronic Turkey calling in IL?

So I have an ihunt electronic game call that has everything on it from alligator calls to wombats. I thought I'd use it for turkey hunting this year, but checked regs first and no, in Illinois you can't use an electronic call for turkey hunting. Bagged a bird without it, but am wondering why the ban on electronic calls.

Does your state allow electronic calls for turkey hunting?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old April 12, 2019, 08:44 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Most don't allow it. It's all about learning to hunt and call, and ethics. I've played around with electronic calls (not hunting at the time) and it's much easier to turn the call on, get perfect sounds, and have both hands available for what ever else is needed....like using a shotgun while the call continues to make noise. Hunting isn't about going out and killing something every time, it's about developing skill sets and giving the quarry a bit of a chance to elude you.....usually most of the time. Turkey hunting/calling is an art form. Look at all the competitions that they have just about calling.
Old April 12, 2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Pahoo

I don't see a great advantage

By my measure, the only advantage you get with using electronic calls for turkeys, is placement. I've had turkeys respond to the darnest calls/noises. Then again, nothing. On one hand, they seem smart and then can do some dumb things. I once tried to calling without a call and they came in. …

I read where a Deer sees all hunters as trees and Turkeys see all trees as hunters.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 14, 2019, 07:25 PM   #4
turkeestalker

Quote:
I read where a Deer sees all hunters as trees and Turkeys see all trees as hunters.
I like that! Seemingly SO true!

I've always gone with the thinking that they're not truly that smart, but have 10X binoculars for eyes and are afraid of everything!

Truth be told is that if they're not that smart, I should be ashamed of having been outdone by more than one through the years.

Electronic calls are not allowed for turkeys in Missouri.
Old April 14, 2019, 08:54 PM   #5
jmr40

I guess it depends on the state, but all of them that I'm aware of or have hunted in only allow electronic calls for predators on non-game animals.

Winston Churchill
Old April 16, 2019, 04:56 AM   #6
Blindstitch

Predators and crows in Wisconsin.
Old April 16, 2019, 10:08 AM   #7
std7mag

Predators only in PA.
Otherwise no electronic calls.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 16, 2019, 12:51 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...why the ban on electronic calls..." The theory is that they make it too easy.
All hunting regs are about where you are.
Old April 17, 2019, 06:51 PM   #9
buck460XVR

Most states nowadays place a high priority on the quality of the experience from the hunt. One reason Wisconsin still uses a lottery system for their Spring Turkey tags. To control the amount of hunters in the field at any one time to keep the experience positive and not frustrating. While it is also about controlling the numbers, unlike predators or nuisance animals, the harvest goals are now met easily enough without the use of electronic calls. If harvest numbers are not being met, I'd guess regulations would change. Used to be here you couldn't hunt turkeys after 12:00 noon. Then it became 5:00 p.m. Now it's all day. Comes down to harvest goals and success rates. Similar to the use of dogs here for fall turkeys. At one time it was a no-no. Now its a go. Used to be a lottery for fall tags too. Now it's as many as you want over the counter.

I do wonder tho........how many folks still use a electronic caller, even tho it's illegal.