The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 21, 2019, 01:57 PM   #26
RC20

Quote:
Look like it's possible that you had an OOB (out of battery detonation). You might have a carbon ring in the chamber, that fails to seat the round properly. Try rotating a chamber brush with a drill and carbon remover mixture.
Bingo: Per above, then try a different known ammo mfg (Federal not Remington) and if that works you can try your original stuff. If it works with Federal and not the other, pitch it.

And agree, give the criticisms a rest, OP put in non needed info, but he got to the heart of the issue and listed gun and ammo, sheese, that far more than we often get on a first post.

Mild simply say TMI not related and good enough for better post in the future.
Old April 22, 2019, 10:58 AM   #27
F. Guffey

Sounds great if you live in a simple world but the OP has listed this question on different forms, one of the forms is so dysfunctional they are calling each other names; unless being dysfunctional is the norm.

F. Guffey

Quote:
I would call the failure of the case 'catastrophic'.
Old April 22, 2019, 11:40 AM   #28
F. Guffey

I say that because the case head did not have case head support. If the case failed with case head support the side of the case would have blown out. All of you that have had case head failure when firing 03 rifles are experts on case head failures.

A mind boggling thing: The 03 has .090" unsupported case head when case head protrusion is measured from the case head to the bottom of the extractor cut. And then there is another group of experts, they insisted some 03 had .250" unsupported case head.

F. Guffey
Old April 22, 2019, 11:46 AM   #29
F. Guffey

think back to the time you experienced the failure of the case in the 03
The failure/hole in the case was in the side of the case head and matched the extractor cut.

F. Guffey
Old April 22, 2019, 07:17 PM   #30
Hawg

Years ago I had a case head on a .22 Federal separate in a Marlin model 60. It destroyed the internals of the rifle. I always assumed it was double charged from the factory from the sound it made and the damage done.
Old May 4, 2019, 08:49 PM   #31
jmstr

I had a box of ammo [from at least the 80s] that had trouble loading [wax on bullets issue] and the case split every 2nd round fired.

This was in an older revolver, with firing pin on the hammer. Sparks flew through the firing pin slot in the frame [where the hammer goes down] and into my face.

Glad I had my shooting glasses. after 2nd time on same cylinder, I stopped and took that box/lot out of my ammo supply. Too dangerous.

That one has split in a line at the impact area.

It seems that I see the firing pin mark at the top of these cases, and the blown out area would then line up with the extractor.

When was the last time you took the bolt out, removed the extractor, and cleaned under it?

Might investigate that too.

But, there were a lot of other good suggestions. If you used shorts or longs for a while before the LR, then the out of battery firing might well be the issue.

However, I have trouble seeing exactly how this could happen, if the lever were locked home each time. Unless it fired on using the lever, and not pulling the trigger?

I had THAT happen on a Savage 99. Slamming the lever home caused the striker to fly off the sear and fire the rifle- when it was close to out of battery. Scary. [I've fixed it though].

Tags
backfire , marlin 22