The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 24, 2006, 09:00 AM   #26
Lurper

Quote:
His name is Barnhart and he most certainly does appear to have his finger wrapped around the trigger guard.
If you know him, his nickname is "Burner" and his finger is not wrapped around the trigger guard. Having had the pleasure of shooting with him and most of the legendary names in our sport I have first hand observation of his technique and have never seen him wrap his finger around the trigger guard. Some of the European shooters do with success, but that success is in spite of their efforts, not because of them. You control the gun better by having a neutral, relaxed grip. Not by trying to squeeze the gun tightly. While it's true that there is more than one way to do things, it is also true that there is usually a best way. If you don't think so, take a look at all of the dominant shooters and see what they do. There is a reason that they dominate.
Old September 1, 2006, 07:36 PM   #27
FirstFreedom

Ok, I'll buy that...
Old November 28, 2006, 04:11 AM   #28
Makarov The Lucky

The problem is that you could accidently put your finger inside the trigger guard in a tense situation and pull the trigger. Although this works I wouldnt recommend it. For the simple fact that I was trained not to do so.
But before that, before I had learned how to shoot regularly. I did use this technique.