The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 20, 2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Danny Creasy

Model 141 made right!

I've always had a yearning for a Remington Model 141 GAMEMASTER chambered for the .35 Remington cartridge. An opportunity to trade for one fell in my lap a few weeks ago, a deal was struck and made. The rifle is in very good condition. I'm very pleased with the swap, however one thing about the new/old rifle did not sit well with me. One of the prior owners had a red rubber recoil pad installed. Not only does the mild kicking cartridge not need a recoil pad, the contrivance made the length of pull too great for me. I must say, they did a good job with the installation of the recoil pad.

I set the rifle aside and stewed about it for a while. Last week, I was sure that I'd never be happy unless I restored the rifle to it's original configuration. A check at Gun Parts/Numrich indicated they had one Model 141 butt plate in stock. The caption did not state the material of construction, and I could not tell if it was aluminum/steel/plastic/bakelite or whatever. All they noted was, "later model," which was encouraging because my rifle was manufactured in 1949. On a leap of faith, I dropped the $22 plus $7 shipping and ordered the part.

It arrived yesterday. Thrilled, it's aluminum and in like new condition. Removal of the recoil pad was easy enough with a deep diving skinny screw driver, and a quick trip to Peck Ace Hardware resulted in two very acceptable screws.

I love it. Happy now.

Last edited by Danny Creasy; November 21, 2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old November 20, 2018, 06:14 PM   #2
GarandTd

Very nice. I have my Grandfather's 1945 Gamemaster in 35 Remington. I'm the 3rd generation of my family to hunt with it. I still currently hunt with it and also bagged my 1st deer with it, an 11 point atypical racked buck.
I'm not what one would call recoil sensitive, but I don't think I would consider the 35 Remington a mild kicker either.. I certainly feel it in the shoulder after a dozen rounds or so. Anyways, she's a beaut. Enjoy.
Old November 20, 2018, 07:54 PM   #3
bamaranger

Fine

That old pump seems a dandy. I have a very soft spot for the old "candy cane" magazine pumps, the 14/141 family. They were a family staple when I was a kid, passing from one generation to the next, and highly regarded in .35 The one in my family was a 14/.30, and acquired from a great uncle.

Many are a bit spoiled by tapping the receiver, or sloppy installation of sling swivels. Quite a few .35's I've seen and handled have split wrists, just where the stock meets the receiver, or have chopped, sloppy recoil pad work done.

As you likely know, nothing quite compares to the slide action on the 14/141 family. Though they require vigorous manipulation (Dad always said, "treat 'em rough") the slide runs like oiled ball bearings on glass plate.

My first deer hunt was with a Rem 14/.30. Never did kill a deer with the old pump. Dad traded it away after a season or two, ammo was becoming hard to find in .30 Rem, even then. I acquired one as soon as I was able, in .30Rem, and laid in a supply of ammo. Still haven't killed a deer with it.