The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 20, 2018, 05:58 PM   #51
Wyosmith

Thank you for your kind words. You receive the text in the spirit it was given.

I also like to learn and shooting/hunting is my passion. So when something new come out I am always willing to look at it objectively. An example is the solid expanding bullets. When they first came out I was wondering if they were really going to work. Well, they do!
Sold expanding bullets (Barnes X Hornady GMX and their like) are the very best type for extra fast hunting rifles. Even better then my loved Partitions for most hunting with super mags. The Partitions do have a max impact velocity beyond which they break up leaving only the base. That's pretty high, but some of the magnums and the super magnums will go past it, so for close shots they don't always work as well as I'd like from the super fast combos.

The Barnes X ?..........well I don't think it's possible to fire them too fast or have them hit too fast. Too slow...yes. If they strike at 1900 FPS or lower they often do not open much, or at all. But again 90% of all kills are made at 300 and under so for those hunts with the super fast guns the Xs and the GMXs can't be beat.

I made a 7MM STW for a man about 15 years ago and he set it up with a 140 grain X bullet. We were hunting together when he got to kill a rag-horn 4X4 bull at about 30 yards. If I had any fears that a 7MM at 22-250 speed would not hold it's bullet together that kill put them away. He hit center chest and the shoulder bone on the off side, and if he had used a 30-06 with a 220 Grain partition it could not have done a better job.
Old December 20, 2018, 07:07 PM   #52
reynolds357

Quote:
I also like to learn and shooting/hunting is my passion. So when something new come out I am always willing to look at it objectively. An example is the solid expanding bullets. When they first came out I was wondering if they were really going to work. Well, they do!
Sold expanding bullets (Barnes X Hornady GMX and their like) are the very best type for extra fast hunting rifles. Even better then my loved Partitions for most hunting with super mags. The Partitions do have a max impact velocity beyond which they break up leaving only the base. That's pretty high, but some of the magnums and the super magnums will go past it, so for close shots they don't always work as well as I'd like from the super fast combos.

The Barnes X ?..........well I don't think it's possible to fire them too fast or have them hit too fast. Too slow...yes. If they strike at 1900 FPS or lower they often do not open much, or at all. But again 90% of all kills are made at 300 and under so for those hunts with the super fast guns the Xs and the GMXs can't be beat.

I made a 7MM STW for a man about 15 years ago and he set it up with a 140 grain X bullet. We were hunting together when he got to kill a rag-horn 4X4 bull at about 30 yards. If I had any fears that a 7MM at 22-250 speed would not hold it's bullet together that kill put them away. He hit center chest and the shoulder bone on the off side, and if he had used a 30-06 with a 220 Grain partition it could not have done a better job.
The Barnes TSX is my go to bullet for 500 yards and under in the magnums and in smaller overbore stuff like .270 Win and .243 Win. I also like trying the new. Innovation drives the industry.
Old December 22, 2018, 09:32 AM   #53
FiveInADime

I'll tell you why my 7mm Remington Magnum is about to become a 28 Nosler:

Non-belted case, standard action length, hunting rifle only, heavy bullets at nice speeds.

This isn't going to be shot many times per year. It'll be proven, then verified before a hunt, and shot once or twice at an elk, mule deer, black bear, or coues deer.

7 mag works fine. But since it needs a new barrel and it's a hunting tool only, why not go with better performance.

BTW, mine will be built for the 175gr Nosler ABLR.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old December 22, 2018, 10:26 AM   #54
reynolds357

Quote:
I'll tell you why my 7mm Remington Magnum is about to become a 28 Nosler:
It's hard to say. I thought the 7 WSM would relegate the Rem Mag to obscurity. That didn't come true.

Last edited by reynolds357; December 22, 2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old December 22, 2018, 11:58 AM   #55
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
It's hard to say. I thought the 7 WSM would relegate the Win Mag to obscurity. That didn't come true.
I shot a nice heavy-barrel Browning A-Bolt in 7WSM. Was a tack-driver. Wouldn't mind one of those but you have a lot less push than the Nosler case.

The Noslers aren't as overrated as folks are making it out to be. Western hunters have really embraced them. Especially the 28. Just try to buy some brass for it. It sells out any time a run hits the market.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old December 22, 2018, 02:37 PM   #56
reynolds357

I don't think the 28 Nosler is at all over rated. I have two identically set up 7 RUMs. Me switching to the 28 Nosler does NOT make sense. If I did not have the RUMs, I probably would get the Nosler. I am also one of those odd folks who could not care less about action length.
(I actually have a third 7 Rum that I have built but never put in a stock. )