The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 24, 2022, 01:49 PM   #1
Nathan

Senate Gun Control Bill

Can you tell me the number or post a link?
Old June 24, 2022, 01:57 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

It doesn't have a bill number yet. The tentative text is here.
Old June 25, 2022, 06:59 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Quick Mod Note: Y'alll, this bill just passed. As of this post, the only thing I've seen is the link posted by Tom Servo, above. This is still in in its unfinished form, with a lot of "by inserting" or "by deleting" language still in it. It's also 80 pages. It's going to take a lot of work to decipher it. Please be patient, both with us (the mods) and other members who are trying to help sort this out.
Old June 25, 2022, 09:20 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Well, they rammed it through the House and now it's headed for the President's desk. He'll sign it without even stopping to read it.

The bill is S. 2938.

Several Republicans tried to get amendments to ameliorate the possible abuses of "extreme risk protection orders" and juvenile crime records, but it appears those were voted down.
Old June 25, 2022, 12:03 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

To make it easier to read and to download, the link to the PDF version is: https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/s...17s2938enr.pdf
Jeepaholic
Old June 25, 2022, 12:11 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Signed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61938109
Jeepaholic
Old June 25, 2022, 02:38 PM   #7
Nathan

Wow! So before Americans can read it, it was rammed through….nice due process. I wonder what we are getting.

How does the selling guns for profit requires an FFL differ from before? I think this is a preemptive strike on non-FFL’s selling guns. I think this could easily blow up into something that greatly reduces or eliminates private sales. Am I nuts? How will this be different than current law?
Old June 25, 2022, 04:06 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I wonder what we are getting.
From the article Aguila Blanca linked:
  • Tougher background checks for buyers younger than 21
  • $15bn (£12.2bn) in federal funding for mental health programs and school security upgrades
  • Funding to encourage states to implement "red flag" laws to remove firearms from people considered a threat
  • Closing the so-called "boyfriend loophole" by banning all those convicted of domestic abuse from owning a gun - not just those who are married to their victims or live with them.

The first item involves making it easier for law enforcement to unseal and examine juvenile records. I've already heard some serious privacy concerns about that, and there's indication it may not survive court scrutiny.

"Red flag" laws are going to be defined on a state-by-state basis, and there are due process concerns. Republican attempts to amend this part of the bill to that end were rebuffed.

The "boyfriend loophole" language is really weird and vague. Our domestic violence statutes are a patchwork of different definitions that vary by state. In some states, a verbal threat or simple assault can be considered misdemeanor domestic violence, and therefore becomes a lifetime bar to firearms ownership.
Old June 25, 2022, 05:03 PM   #9
rickyrick

Extra funding. The end goal of most government activities these days
Old June 28, 2022, 04:51 PM   #10
DPI7800

Quote:
In some states, a verbal threat or simple assault can be considered misdemeanor domestic violence, and therefore becomes a lifetime bar to firearms ownership.
I don’t have a problem with this when it pertains to a romantic relationship. Where it’s problematic is two college fraternity brothers who room together end up in a fight that is considered domestic violence in my state.