The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 11, 2014, 10:06 AM   #51
odugrad

One more thing about the Ruger SR9, the takedown is much more involved compared to a lot of other handguns. I like something I can take down quickly and easily.
Old June 11, 2014, 11:00 AM   #52
Maddnotez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odugrad

One more thing about the Ruger SR9, the takedown is much more involved compared to a lot of other handguns. I like something I can take down quickly and easily.
Very good point and I am with you. I saw a few videos where the gun required a push pin to get the back straps off or some odd way to get the slide off. Definitely did not like the looks of that.

That will definitely be a factor when I narrow these down more.

I am hoping to have a top 3 soon
Old June 11, 2014, 12:56 PM   #53
walts

Your price range allows for a new Glock or S&W M&P. I'd recommend the Glock 9mm. Go on youtube and browse through Hickock45's reviews on the 9mm Glocks/M&Ps.

I prefer pistols without a safety. Of course, it should be impossible for your children to get their hands on your gun...nothing less.
Old June 11, 2014, 01:22 PM   #54
marine6680

Glocks are great if you like the way they feel in the hand.

The gen 4 fixes a good bit of my gripes about how they feel.

The gen 3 is similar in cost to an m&p, the gen 4 is more expensive, but you do get three mags with it.
Old June 11, 2014, 02:02 PM   #55
jr24

Quote:
Um, you press down the ejector, then push out a pin. Not exactly rocket science. You add one step to common pistols (SIG, XD, etc).

Yeah, its more involved but by literally 5 extra seconds at most.

Quote:
required a push pin to get the back straps off
As do Glocks and M&P's, what guns don't require a pin to be removed to swap a back strap?
Old June 11, 2014, 02:14 PM   #56
marine6680

Well... The m&p is a toolless change pin for backstraps.

But there are pistols that are easier to disassemble than others. The xdm and Sig 226 are very easy for example.

But I don't know of any pistol that is flat out hard to disassemble after a little practice.
Old June 11, 2014, 02:18 PM   #57
jr24

Quote:
Well... The m&p is a toolless change pin for backstraps.
Huh, I guess the videos I've seen have always used a punch. I stand corrected.
Old June 11, 2014, 02:25 PM   #58
Maddnotez

Quote:
As do Glocks and M&P's, what guns don't require a pin to be removed to swap a back strap?
I guess I wasn't too clear. Removable pin yes but I saw a few that you actually had to punch a pin into a little slot on the grip to remove the strap.

Or the sr9c for example that you need a punch to get the pin out to flip the insert.

Not a huge deal as I probably wouldn't change often but little things like that can be a pain.

Edit: Marine beat me to it. That post above is essentially what I meant.
Old June 11, 2014, 02:43 PM   #59
chupps

Lock the gun up. consider a speed loader and keep the gun unloaded. The key is to get a dog for early warning so you have time to access and load your gun.
Old June 12, 2014, 08:18 AM   #60
odugrad

jr24, thank you so much for clarifying! Geez, all this time, I've been working toward my degree in rocket science to take down a Ruger SR9! Wow, I should have checked with you long before!

Yeah, but in the field, one less step is one less step. I like ease of takedown. It matters to some, not to others.
Old June 12, 2014, 09:17 AM   #61
boltomatic

Start with a .22, and possibly stay with a .22

I highly recommend a .22 for your first handgun. The "stopping power" of a larger caliber is useless until you can shoot it quickly and accurately, shot placement is the most important thing with handguns and .22's are much easier to shoot quickly and accurately, plus they are cheap and ammo for them is cheap so you can afford to practice more.

Look for a .22 modeled after a larger caliber gun so the training will cross over.

For example: Get a Ruger sr22 now and a Ruger sr9 when you are more experienced.

Or, get a Ruger 22/45 now and a 1911 when you are more experienced.

The most reliable combination would be a Ruger LCR .22 or .22 magnum revolver, and then you can get the same exact revolver in a larger caliber like .357 magnum once you get more practice.

And again, don’t listen to the people who say a .22 is not powerful enough for self defense. .22’s kill more people every year than any other caliber (excluding military conflicts) because so many people use them for self defense. Larger calibers are only advantageous if you can shoot them as well as you can shoot a .22, or if you are shooting over longer distances, through barriers, or at armored targets, not things encountered in civilian self defense.
Old June 12, 2014, 01:07 PM   #62
jr24

Quote:
jr24, thank you so much for clarifying! Geez, all this time, I've been working toward my degree in rocket science to take down a Ruger SR9! Wow, I should have checked with you long before!
Lol, you're welcome. I guess.
Old June 15, 2014, 09:47 AM   #63
Maddnotez

Interesting deal

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I came across an interesting offer. My stepdad has a good amount of guns, apparently the wife was talking to my mother and told her I was about to drop some $$ on a gun.

He said that if I got my ccw he will give me one of his.

So I am going to do just that. I'm going to take the class and submit the application at the end of the month.

Good news: I will probably spend less than $400 and have my ccw, a safe and a free gun.

Bad news: it's not exactly what I want but hey it's free right?

It's a revolver, a colt .38. Not sure exactly what model just yet.

I am still going to get a pistol for certain but now I have a little more time to choose exactly what I want and now I will have two.

Perhaps the colt for self defense and the pistol for fun at the range.

Edit: To Chupps, I do have 2 dogs

So, there you have it. My first gun will be a revolver.

I'll post pics when I get it and also will do the same when I choose my pistol.
Old June 15, 2014, 08:44 PM   #64
Pico

Good gun - good deal

My first gun in 1984 was a Colt .38 Agent. It was a great investment and I only regret I didn't buy the Python the salesman was trying to sell me for about $100 more !!!!

Take a few shots with the Colt, learn to get around with it and then pick out your pistol.

Pico
Old June 16, 2014, 09:14 PM   #65
BingoFuel

I recently purchased a S&W SD9VE and it really seems like it would be a perfect 'solve' for the OP's needs. In CA, out the door with tax and reg it was mid $300's or so with two magazines which seems like a bargain. Upon close examination and some dry firing it is a slightly less refined version of my S&W M&P C.O.R.E. Slide work not as smooth, same for the trigger but well built and well machined. I too bought it as an 'extra' gun for traveling, camping or other needs.
Regarding the list from the OP, I would strongly consider rejecting any hammer-fired gun on there (e.g. most Sigs, CZ's, etc.) because of the double action/single action mode of use. These are great guns (I have a few H&K USP's that I really like but changed their triggers to get away from the DA/SA) but require much more training to become as proficient as one can be with a striker fired gun like the S&W, Glock and others.
Finally, I would reject the revolvers as well. I have two of the N-Frame 8-shot .357/.38 (sounds like I have a lot of guns but these happen to be just about my complete inventory) and although they are reliable, the open design makes them very loud for indoor firing, the ammo is more expensive which will inhibit the it's purchase for training, potentially over-powered (versus a 9mm) and if it is ever required, difficult to reload though that is a low likelihood.
So, a long post but it is an important topic. Narrow down the list to a few of the striker fired guns, go rent them all and pick which one you prefer. Make sure you leave enough reserve for plenty of ammo for training, a safety box for the house, and some quality time with the kids to ensure their understanding and respect for the firearm.
B
P.S. If you live in a state that allows it, some day you should investigate using a suppressor for that gun. Shooting a gun off in a house is a near-deafening and disorienting experience. If you're not concerned for yourself, think about those young ears in the house. In the interim, keep a set of electronic stereo earphones (sound reducers) next to your lockbox. They will prevent loss of hearing and the stereo design will retain your situational awareness in the dark.
Old June 16, 2014, 10:02 PM   #66
WildBill45

All the research, reading, and rumors on the net will not be there when you have seconds to react. Collect data, read, listen to rumors, but you must train and be trained to have natural reactions ... street bad guys do! Offenders who have lived in battle all their lives are not easily overcome just because you have a gun, they live amongst guns and folks who shoot folks like them ... everyday. Train, develop the skill sets, and not worry so much about the fishing rod, CATCH THE FISH FIRST!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Tags
first gun , home defense , safety