The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 8, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
tobnpr

Learned something new about FL concealed carry law...

Just got my permit in the mail today...

Enclosed was a little pamphlet, and learned about a new amendment to F.S. 790.053 that was passed in May of this year...

I had always been concerned about the possibility of briefly "flashing" the handgun, as might happen if reaching for a high object...the law has now been clarified to say that "brief and open display" is not a violation of the law.

Imagine- a law that actually makes sense!

Most of you in FL probably already knew this- I did not, so I'm passing along...

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sectio...7&Session=2011
Old October 8, 2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Crazy88Fingers

I believe certain parties were pushing for all out open carry, and then settled on this amendment. It's nice to have. Although in Miami I'm pretty sure I'll still get shot or tased by the police if someone sees it. I spend a lot of time trying to avoid cops and robbers...
Old October 9, 2011, 07:40 AM   #3
P5 Guy

Open Carry

Open carry was the goal but some felt that the tourist would be scared off and so we end up with this silly "Brief Exposure" stuff.
Any member here from AZ? Does open carry scare the "SnowBirds"?
Old October 9, 2011, 07:55 AM   #4
blitzo

Last time I saw someone "flash" his gun, his conversation partner took him out with a half can of OC spray.
Old October 9, 2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Patriot86

I love Florida.... If only I could have made a living there like I do up here in Illinois I never would have left. Oh well, 40 years and counting until I return(retire)
Old October 9, 2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Pahoo

Open Carry can benefit LEO's

With the passage of Shall-Issue in Iowa, open carry is and has always been legal. One benefit is that LEO's don't have to respond to 911 calls about someone who flashes. "Flashing" is subjective and if an Iowan is foolish enough to walk into a bar, open carrying, then he deserves the consequences and even though legal, that is not flashing and will get a response. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 9, 2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Carry_24/7

I lived and worked at Yuma Army Proving Ground for almost 3 years. I can only recall seeing a few people open carry; such as one guy on his chopper with twin revolvers, and one cowboy looking guy with a 1911 at a mom and pop diner, and both had everyone looking at them.

I Now live in Florida, and whether we believe it or not, guns attract attention. The average citizen, or voter, would probably not be a fan of OC.