The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2018, 11:23 AM   #1
William Munny

East German Makarov

Have you ever REALLY wanted a particular type of gun and didn't know why? For me it's the East German Makarov pistol. I have no specific reason why. I wouldn't be happy with a Bulgarian or Russian version. You couldn't pay me to own a Chinese made version. I'm not into any other Com-Bloc weapons. I'm not looking for a carry gun. I've got other guns with far better fit, finish, bluing, etc. However for some reason I just really want a EG Mak. Anyone own one that feels the same way? Anyone feel the same way about some other firearm?
Old February 8, 2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Walt Sherrill

The surplus EG Maks I've seen, and the one I owned (which was made in Suhl) were nicer (fit and finish) than other non-EG Maks I've handled. The few Bulgarian Maks I've handled seemed to be pretty nice, however, but these weren't MILSURP (or at least I don't think they were.) The general claim was that the East Germans seemed to put a little more effort into the guns they produced than was seen is some of the other Communist Bloc weapons of the period. I don't know if that's really true, but it seemed so based on my limited exposure (and very limited expertise). I don't know that all EG maks were like this.

Some Maks made in reunified Germany -- notably the SIMSON-SUHL maks -- command outrageous prices. The EG pre-unification Makarov I once owned was very nicely made, and shot well (and was accurate).

Here's a bit of info on the later (not Milsurp) SIMSON-SUHl guns, which are not typical. There may be links available on that site that will help you explore. http://www.makarov.com/suhl/

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 8, 2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old February 8, 2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Destructo6

I did have one and I did feel that way for a time.

It was a 1962 EG Mak. It had been issued, but the bluing still looked good, though thin in places. The fit and finish was quite a bit better than those from other countries. It only had 1 magazine, but 20 years ago, they could be had for $3 each, so I eventually had about a dozen and they all functioned well.

Like you, perhaps, it was a Grail Gun for a time. When I decided to consolidate on more common calibers, I had to let it go.

Keep all of them clean.
Old February 8, 2018, 08:57 AM   #4
DMK

Quote:
Anyone feel the same way about some other firearm?
I own an 1963 EG Makarov and it is a very nice handgun. Maks are cool anyway and the EG is the cream of the crop. Follow your dream. Find a nice example and enjoy.

However, for me it was a CZ PCR. I just always wanted one ever since I first saw it on the CZ forum a couple decades ago. CZs are funny too as they only make small runs of some models once a year and if you don't have cash in hand when they come out, you are SOL until next time they make a run of them. I finally got my PCR a few years back and while I probably overpaid for it, I'm very happy with my purchase. It is all I dreamed it would be. I love this little handgun.

Last edited by DMK; February 8, 2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old February 8, 2018, 10:13 AM   #5
rkammer

I owned an EG Mak and had a chance to compare it with other Maks and it was far superior. It was a super sweet shooter and I never should have sold it.

Last edited by rkammer; February 8, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old February 8, 2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Model12Win

The East German Maks are phenomenally handcrafted pistols. The other countries Makarovs, while serviceable, do not compare in any shape or form. The EGs are so far ahead in fit and finish the others look like dogs in comparison.
Old February 8, 2018, 05:56 PM   #7
JJ45

The EGs have a better finish but I don't know about fit so much...I have two Military EGs and two Military Bulgarians and IMO there is no difference, that I can discern, as far as trigger pull, accuracy or reliability in the specimens I have.... on occasion.I carry them concealed, for which they excel.

however, the Germans must have been more astute with the final polish jobs on their Maks as they do definitely have a better finish...I do believe it's the final polishing on the metal parts that are lacking in the Bulgarians and sets the German pistols apart...but as far as operational reliability, I see no difference and this has been my experience and I'LL have to go by it.
Old February 8, 2018, 06:59 PM   #8
hodaka

I bought 3 when they could be had for $120 or so. Nice, reliable accurate pistols that look a good bit better than other Maks. Crappy sights and a bit too heavy for a daily carry in my opinion. I still have them saved for my kids but wish I had a source for more magazines. They are outrageously priced these days, both the pistols and the magazines.
Old February 8, 2018, 07:20 PM   #9
JJ45

hodaka...I too got them when they could be had for a song by todays standards

When you critique sights, trigger, finish etc., you have to keep in mind that these pistols were designed as military sidearms and the Eastern Block nations that produced them didn't have Western CCW guys and that particular market in mind
Old February 8, 2018, 07:39 PM   #10
libiglou

I dont know about the EG mak but the Bulgi one I bought a few months ago is just fantastic. I put sight paint on the front sight and accuracy vastly improved. Like many others wish more mags were available for a reasonable price. Hope to pick an EG one day.
Old February 8, 2018, 07:40 PM   #11
hodaka

Yes, simple and undoubtedly inexpensive to build. No frills but dead reliable and the fixed barrel makes them very accurate, even with those tiny sights. I was reloading them before you could find brass by trimming 9mm. Always felt guilty for leaving the ones I could not find.
Old February 8, 2018, 09:09 PM   #12
William Munny

Well, thanks for the encouragement folks! I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this.

I've been looking on Gunbroker at completed auctions so I have an idea of what they are selling for in different conditions and with different packages of extra magazines and a holster - or not. Decisions, Decisions.

I haven't been looking very long and I haven't come across THE ONE. I'll be patient and when the right combination of condition and price come along I'll know it.

Again, thanks for the input everyone.
Old February 9, 2018, 12:17 AM   #13
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodaka View Post
I bought 3 when they could be had for $120 or so. Nice, reliable accurate pistols that look a good bit better than other Maks. Crappy sights and a bit too heavy for a daily carry in my opinion. I still have them saved for my kids but wish I had a source for more magazines. They are outrageously priced these days, both the pistols and the magazines.
They are essentially worthless today as combat pistol compared to guns like the Glock and SIG SAUER, and are too bulky and heavy for CCW usage. Hard to believe these were being used in the 80s by the Russians and other commies when we had the Beretta M9, which hold twice as many cartridges and is considerably more powerful with better sights etc. etc.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:15 AM   #14
Tom2

Depends on your concept of a sidearm. The Maks were dual purpose military and police, in a country where your adversaries were pretty much unarmed. And they were handy for "shoot the deserter in the back" purposes, maybe never meant to be anything but last ditch or authority emblems. Use to guard prisoners, etc. Whereas our sidearms were originally meant for stuff like horseback cavalry fighting, backup for close quarters combat, etc. The .45 was meant to really stop an adversary, and the Beretta probably made up for that in round count.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:29 AM   #15
sarge83

There is a Russian Mak sitting in the case at the local gun pawn establishment that I am considering. They are asking $220 for it, could probably get for $200OTD. I have a couple Bulgie Maks I love, and have never laid eyes on an East German in my neck of the woods.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:58 AM   #16
DMK

Quote:
Crappy sights and a bit too heavy for a daily carry in my opinion.
I've always considered these types of guns Curios and Relics of a past time. Fun to collect and shoot. Interesting for their history and design. Not primary SD weapons.

Back at the turn of last century, something like a Colt 1903 in 32acp or Colt 1908 in 25ACP would have been cutting edge in a CCW. A Mak (or the Walther PP it was based on) was a huge improvement over that.

However, compare the Mak to something like a S&W Shield that can be had for cheaper, fires a more powerful cartridge, has better sights, is lighter and smaller. It's quite clear that we've come a long way in self defense arms.

Of course nearly anything that reliably fires a projectile could be pressed into service as a defensive weapon in an emergency if nothing better is available.

Quote:
Yes, simple and undoubtedly inexpensive to build. No frills but dead reliable and the fixed barrel makes them very accurate, even with those tiny sights.
I never had any trouble shooing mine accurately, at least not out to 15yards. The sights are no better or worse than a 1911A1, Walther PP, S&W M&P, or any other contemporary combat guns of the 1950s.

Last edited by DMK; February 9, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old February 9, 2018, 10:03 AM   #17
DMK

Quote:
There is a Russian Mak sitting in the case at the local gun pawn establishment that I am considering. They are asking $220 for it, could probably get for $200OTD.
For $200, I'd snap that up in in a heartbeat, amusing it's in good shape.

Quote:
never laid eyes on an East German in my neck of the woods.
I never have either. Mine is the only one I've ever seen in person. I bought it on one of the forums (possibly this one).
Old February 9, 2018, 11:45 AM   #18
William Munny

I have no intention of using this gun as a defensive weapon. For me an East German Makarov is purely a curio - a true curiousity piece for my meager collection. Just something to fondle and have fun with. Since I don't have any chance of doing that with Katarina Witt, I'll have to settle for the second best East German export.
Old February 9, 2018, 01:20 PM   #19
JJ45

Reliability, dependability, accuracy despite the sights, all steel construction (except the grips) is what gives this weapon it's weight for it's size, easy to COMPLETELY disassemble, not just field strip, few parts-about half the parts of a PPk. Factory ammo is readily available but has risen in cost since the old days. Has a history behind it.

Very controllable compared to some light 9mms...only thing is the cartridge. Somewhat LIKE a .380 on steroids. But it's very easy to hit with at SD ranges. One in the head is better than 15 misses

I own modern striker and DA 9s, SA and DA .45s and revolvers both DA and SA, including concealment and full size service...the Mak is still likely my favorite.
Old February 9, 2018, 11:31 PM   #20
tallball

I have owned a Russian Mak for about 30 years. I can't remember it ever malfunctioning. I have lots of other handguns that are probably better for SD. But if I had to choose the handgun that would last the longest with the fewest repairs, it would probably be my choice. It's thick and beefy and seems "over engineered". They didn't stint on the steel when they made that thing. And as the other poster said, it is mechanically very simple. It is the kind of machine that will take a lot of abuse and keep on working regardless.
Old February 9, 2018, 11:47 PM   #21
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
Reliability, dependability, accuracy despite the sights, all steel construction (except the grips) is what gives this weapon it's weight for it's size, easy to COMPLETELY disassemble, not just field strip, few parts-about half the parts of a PPk. Factory ammo is readily available but has risen in cost since the old days. Has a history behind it.

Very controllable compared to some light 9mms...only thing is the cartridge. Somewhat LIKE a .380 on steroids. But it's very easy to hit with at SD ranges. One in the head is better than 15 misses

I own modern striker and DA 9s, SA and DA .45s and revolvers both DA and SA, including concealment and full size service...the Mak is still likely my favorite.
Not a good comparison.

Look at the numbers and you'll see 9 Mak loads are only about 10% more powerful than most .380 loads.

People say the round fits between the .380 and the 9 Para. If we're honest with ourselves, it is MUCH closer to the .380 on the scale.
Old February 9, 2018, 11:47 PM   #22
saiga21308

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
I owned an EG Mak and had a chance to compare it with other Maks and it was far superior. It was a super sweet shooter and I never should have sold it.

i had the Russian one quality not very good as your pick double action was horrific
Old February 9, 2018, 11:55 PM   #23
Model12Win

Keep in mind their a Military and Commercial version of the Russians and Bulgys. The Military Russians command a premium and are fairly rare. Maks are a world unto themselves. They are totally obsolete today but are still interesting enough.
Old February 10, 2018, 12:46 AM   #24
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Somewhat LIKE a .380 on steroids.
On a Monster Energy drink maybe, but certainly not steroids!
The EG Mak is a good gun though. As is kost Maks. Also it's Polish cousin the PA64. But I think the top of the 9X18 Makarov chambered guns is the double stack 12+1 round CZ82.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 10, 2018, 04:11 AM   #25
mr bolo

I also prefer the East German MAK , because they are the real deal, actual military issue, not modern export models made for US civilian sales

mine came with the original papers that shows the soldiers that used it, with the dates , weapons record of the pistol, it came from the KARL MARX Police station in E. Germany

they are the nicest quality of the MAKS

the first ones to get to the US were a few rare capture pieces brought back from the Vietnam War , these use to be super rare until the fall of East Germany.