The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 3, 2018, 04:08 PM   #1
odugrad

Good Walther holster

Okay, I have a PPQ that I generally carry in my edc bag. But I'm looking for a good, quality holster. I'm looking for comfort more than anything. I'm open to IWB or OWB. I purchased a Foebus holster and it's no good. It's an OWB VPQ model (I think). About a third of the time I'm drawing it pulls right up with the PPQ. Definitely not something I'd trust my life with.

What do you guys use?
Old August 3, 2018, 04:43 PM   #2
sigarms228

Have you tried adjusting retention on the Fobus holster first? When I draw a pistol I kind of snap it out of the kydex holder rather than a slower draw even with retention set to what I like.
Old August 3, 2018, 05:47 PM   #3
jr24

I am a Vedder holster convert. I love the light tuck IWB and the OWB is pretty good too.

Well made, thin Kydex and reasonably priced.

Looks like they carry Walther PPQ too.
Old August 4, 2018, 09:57 AM   #4
odugrad

Tightening/loosening the retention doesn't seem to matter. It appears the ledge that is supposed to keep the holster under the belt isn't enough to keep the holster in the waistband.

I hope that makes sense.
Old August 4, 2018, 11:20 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...it pulls right up with the PPQ..." Likely the belt you have. The belt is as important as the holster.
Old August 4, 2018, 11:52 AM   #6
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
Tightening/loosening the retention doesn't seem to matter. It appears the ledge that is supposed to keep the holster under the belt isn't enough to keep the holster in the waistband.

I hope that makes sense.
As T.O'Heir mentioned a good gun belt is a crucial part of a CCW system. I personally use a Beltman Bullhide gun belt but there are a lot of other fine gun belts too.

I don't have first hand experience with Black Arch holsters, and would love to hear from anyone that has, since you mention comfort is a priority their dual clip IWB Protos-M holster may be worth a look. The 3/4 hybrid construction looks very interesting as it would increase retention over a typical hybrid holster.

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/co...ducts/protos-m
Old August 4, 2018, 02:02 PM   #7
hodaka

I've tried several and have landed on a Safariland Kydex holster with a thumb release. I'm not fond of holsters with releases but this one is natural and I don't notice. A bit large, as is the pistol, but it is smooth to draw from.
Old August 7, 2018, 12:00 PM   #8
Worc

I also have the above Safariland http://www.safariland.com/products/h...0.html#start=4 and like it quite a bit. I use it for several of my 9mm's and the release paddle is pretty intuitive. For IWB I like the N82 https://n82tactical.com/product-cate...s-walther-ppq/ It is the most comfortable holster that I have used for this type of carry. Works well for hip and cross draw appendage carry. I have the original and it also works on several of my other 9mm's with no adjustment.