The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 1999, 05:29 PM   #1
rw2astan

Keeping all components the same, when I use Universal powder in my Super Blackhawk the cases stick in the cylinder.
I don't think this could be a pressure problem because Hodgdon lists this load at only 35000PSI.
Using Winchester 296 at max pressures(around 40000) and also 2400 I.ve not had that problem. In fact the Universal loads even seam more mild. could this be a problem with the Universal powder?
Using PMC 2x fired brass, sized properly, 9.5 Grains Universal under a 300 grain cast lead bullet, Fed.150 primers.
Same bullet works great with the 296 & 2400.
I use carbide dies so no lube is used.
Anyone else have this problem?

Old September 6, 1999, 10:31 PM   #2
bfoster

Sticky ejection is a sign of high pressure. Whatever the actual pressure being developed in your revolver is it's my opinion that that load is too hot for that particular revolver.

I don't have data for a lead bullet but Hodgdon's latest (#27) shows 38,200 c.u.p. (the peak pressure would almost certainly be higher expressed in psi) for 9.6 grains of Universal under a 300 grain Hornaday XTP ignited by a Remington 2 1/2. While lead bullets tend to cause lower pressures to be developed when using a given load than a jacketed bullet, your use of a magnum primer will tend to raise them. In any event, a load which causes the cases to stick is too hot; the cases are expanding to a dangerous degree. I'd back the load off, and consideer changing to a slower powder. I've had great results with VV N110 & standard primers. Bob
Old September 7, 1999, 05:46 PM   #3
Paul B.

RW2. I have to agree with BFoster. You are definitely experiencing high pressure.
last week, I used the starting load for a rifle cartridge I play with. High pressure signs, and velocity 200 fps over what the round should give with a max load. 2650 fps in a .35 Whelan with a 250 gr. bullet is too much. I broke the rest of the rounds down.
I suggest you start over again and quit before these signs show up.
Paul B.