The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Model12Win

HD Setup?

Hello egeryone! I have a Remington 870 Police I'd like to set up for home defense. I want to use a standard capacity magazine on it as I just love how it handles and points, allows for easier loading (or manipulating a cell phone etc.) with the weak had while keeping the gun pointed towards the threat with the strong hand, and is less fatiguing to hold on target for longer periods than an extended tube gun.

There is also a durability advantage in that there is no extension to break off at the threads if smacked (I have heard of this happening during rough usage in training and on the street) spilling shells everywhere, and the magazine is well protected from bumps or dents that could impede feeding. Magazine extensions can also become unscrewed, even slightly which can cause a gap to form inside that can hook the rim of a shell, jamming the shotgun. With the Remington designed standard tube, the mag cap can completely fall off and the spring and cartridges will stay put thanks to the internal spring retainer under the cap.

I know Dave McCracken brought up several pluses to standard length shotgun magazines in his writings. With 4+1 12 gauge 16 pellet #1 buckshot rounds, that is roughly sixty-four .32 ACPs worth of wounding potential from the full tube, empty chamber "cruiser ready" condition I keep it in. I have personally researched the average number of shotgun shells fired in a home defense situation and it seems to be roughly 1-3 at most. Shotgun fights just don't tend to last long, according to those more knowledgeable than I. For ME, I feel confident in a 4+1 capacity and it gives the above handling advantages over extended mags. I will have a side saddle to keep the gun topped off as I shoot.

Now I'd like to set up the gun similar to this:

I've already contacted Wilson Combat to have them install their excellent and simple Trak-Lock ghost ring sights. I also plan to order a Surefire DSF forend light. A Vang Comp 6 round sidesaddle will keep spare ammunition ready if needed. I also will have Wilson Combat attach one of their reduced LOP stocks with built in side sling swivel to be used in conjunction with a Mesa Tactical offset sling mount magazine cap. I'll use a Blue Force Gear VCAS sling.

What are your thoughts on this as a defensive shotgun? It will have great sights, be well balanced and handy, have an excellent light source to positively identify targets, spare ammunition is immediately available if needed, have a properly sized stock, and it will be able to mount a tactical sling.

Do you guys recommend I change anything or add (or remove) anything? Right now my 870P is bone stock and I know that'd work, but I'm deployed right now and will have plenty of funds to really get it where I want it for a dedicated home defense setup. I should mention before anyone says "you don't need any of that, just buy ammo!" that I shoot and practice with this gun often and it has proven reliable and ideal for me. Just considering options to better suit it to the job at hand.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Model12Win; May 24, 2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old May 24, 2018, 05:38 PM   #2
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Hello egeryone! I have a Remington 870 Police I'd like to set up for home defense. I want to use a standard capacity magazine on it as I just love how it handles and points, allows for easier loading (or manipulating a cell phone etc.) with the weak had while keeping the gun pointed towards the threat with the strong hand, and is less fatiguing to hold on target for longer periods than an extended tube gun.

Thoughts?
I have a Beretta 1201FP for a home defense role that came with a combo stock. While my shotgun is secondary to my handgun that is right next to me when in bed, this stock does make it easier to hold one handed if needed. But then that's one reason why my handgun is primary, because I want a free hand.

Old May 24, 2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Model12Win

That's a sweet gun!
Old May 24, 2018, 08:57 PM   #4
amd6547

I have a Beretta 1201FP just like that, surplus from the Detroit Police Department.
Limbsaver makes their Airtech recoil pad as a drop in replacement for the Choate pad.
It made a big difference for me. The Choate was fine, but the Limbsaver has to be felt to be believed.
As far as mag capacity goes, my Mossberg 500 is the shotgun that pulls home defense ready-duty. I’m fine with its five round capacity.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:34 PM   #5
kymasabe

I shot 870's for a couple decades, ran tens of thousands of rounds thru an old Wingmaster when I shot trap, hunted with one too. But, the slide release and the safety always bugged me. So, now home defense duty falls to my Mossberg 500, standard 5-round tube, 18 inch security barrel, Magpul stock (set at 13 LOP), and a Vang Comp Big Speed safety.
Love it. I'll have this gun 'til I die. I also have a three other barrels for it (20 inch bead sight with choke tubes, 24 inch slug barrel with rifle sights, 26 inch vent rib barrel with choke tubes). My "does everything" gun.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:34 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

A Remington 870 Police is already set up for any kind of defence. Best you lose all the stuff hanging off it though.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Sharkbite

Quote:
A Remington 870 Police is already set up for any kind of defence. Best you lose all the stuff hanging off it though.
I disagree.

Any HD long gun needs a light mounted. Target identification should be your FIRST priority.

With the limited capacity of a SG, some extra ammo attached also makes sense.

Do you need the ghost ring sights at indoor ranges...no. But it will make the gun more useable outdoors and while training. They dont take up any space or add any weight...so why not.
Old May 26, 2018, 09:25 AM   #8
the possum

I don't have much trigger time with any pump action shotgun. I've always preferred a semi-auto.

I used one a lot for eliminating varmints around the farm, and a light is mandatory for that, but I never had one mounted on the gun. The light on the gun in the OP just looks huge to me. There have been amazing advances in LED flashlights in just the past 2 years; I bet you could find something much smaller that would do the same or better job.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Sharkbite

Quote:
The light on the gun in the OP just looks huge to me.
There are certainly smaller and/or cheaperlights available, but there are not any BETTER lights. Sure-fire stuff is second to NONE for durability
Old May 27, 2018, 10:14 PM   #10
bamaranger

HD

I'm not a fan of the side saddle shell mounts, but I do concur that extra ammo on the gun is a good thing, especially on a 4+1 shotgun. Statistics may indicate that a fight will take "X" rounds, but who knows about your fight? I worked up a patrol shotgun that had a ammo saddle on the right side of the stock. That cleared the receiver for one hand carry at the receiver, and allowed some variance on gun locks in the vehicle. I'll add that with the ammo rearward, it seemed to offset the loaded, extended mags that we ran, and helped balance the guns ( a loaded mag extension brings weight way forward).

Have you handled a gun with a forward mounted light, and ammo on board? Once all the hardware and ammo is in place, the feel and balance you mentioned early on will likely be completely different.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:36 PM   #11
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I'm not a fan of the side saddle shell mounts, but I do concur that extra ammo on the gun is a good thing, especially on a 4+1 shotgun. Statistics may indicate that a fight will take "X" rounds, but who knows about your fight? I worked up a patrol shotgun that had a ammo saddle on the right side of the stock. That cleared the receiver for one hand carry at the receiver, and allowed some variance on gun locks in the vehicle. I'll add that with the ammo rearward, it seemed to offset the loaded, extended mags that we ran, and helped balance the guns ( a loaded mag extension brings weight way forward).

Have you handled a gun with a forward mounted light, and ammo on board? Once all the hardware and ammo is in place, the feel and balance you mentioned early on will likely be completely different.
Years ago I had a Mossberg 590 with 8 round magazine and heavy barrel. Not for me! Also had an 1100 with extended 8 round magazine, a flashlight, and sidesaddle. Heavy for sure.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:25 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Years ago I bought an 870 with extended magazine and Sidesaddle.
I took all that stuff off and shortened the stock 1-1/2 inches.
Old May 28, 2018, 02:59 PM   #13
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Years ago I bought an 870 with extended magazine and Sidesaddle.
I took all that stuff off and shortened the stock 1-1/2 inches.
...i like a shorter stock as well, is why i'm running a Magpul stock on mine, is adjustable from 12.5 to 14.5 inches, and mines right at 13. Short stocks tend to keep shooter elbow closer to body too, instead of sticking out like a chicken wing.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:50 AM   #14
Longhorn1986

FWIW: These are the ghost ring sights I put on my 870:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijico...l-1100-sl-1187

I added the side saddle, light, sights and a slightly better recoil pad.

Rem 870.JPG

Last edited by Longhorn1986; May 29, 2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old May 29, 2018, 03:12 PM   #15
2damnold4this

I am a fan of having a light on a self defense long gun but went a different route than the Surefire forend. I went with a Magpul M-lok forend on my 870 and played around with several different lights and mounts until I found what worked best for me. If the light I have becomes obsolete or I decide I like something better, I'm not stuck with an expensive forend light.
Old May 29, 2018, 09:42 PM   #16
tlm225

Mod12Win My personally owned 870 that I carried on patrol for almost 20 years is set up just as your sample is. Surefire fore end, side saddle and Scattergun tech sights (from before Wilson acquiring them). I also had a jumbo head safety and Wilson +2 extension. Now that I'm retired it's a HD shotgun.

The sights make grouping slugs easy but IMO the sights are not needed in a home defense context. They're not a detriment but not much value added. The light is essential.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:13 AM   #17
amd6547

I would have to do something different with my HD Moss 500, to mount a light.
I’ve used several different fore ends over the years since I pulled it out of a pile of beat up security company riot guns at a gun show, for $75.
Of all the fore ends I tried, I like the Hogue overmold the best. Just love the good solid grip.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:43 PM   #18
2damnold4this

Maybe you can bolt a pic rail to your Hogue forend.
Old May 30, 2018, 08:48 PM   #19
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
Maybe you can bolt a pic rail to your Hogue forend.
I'll bet you could drill it and mount an m-lok pic rail. Or...aren't there light mounts that clamp to the barrel?
Old May 30, 2018, 09:05 PM   #20
2damnold4this

It might just be me but I like to be in control of the light at all times and I like momentary on push button lights. For me, that means the light must be attached to the forend on a pump gun.