The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2018, 04:28 PM   #1
konstan

Practicing with a flashlight

Watched a video on trap shooting practice. Can't quote where, but what the gal did there is she had a flashlight stuck in the barrel and showed how to practice the swinging while seeing where the spotlight is.

I can dig up the link if you want me to.

Problem is, I tried a half dozen small flashlights (I happen to love flashlights) and none of them fit in a 12ga let alone a 20ga.

Any suggestions?
Old May 17, 2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Fishbed77

A Streamlight Stylus Pro might fit (0.6" listed diameter vs 0.73" diameter of a 12ga shell), but you may have to remove its clip.
Old May 17, 2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
A Streamlight Stylus Pro might fit (0.6" listed diameter vs 0.73" diameter of a 12ga shell), but you may have to remove its clip.
I doubt the OP is using a shotgun with a "clip" (I assume you mean MAGAZINE?) fed shotgun.

Old May 18, 2018, 03:34 AM   #4
Blindstitch

What about a wooden dowel taped to a flashlight. Then wrap the inserted part of the dowel with tape till it fits enough not to fall out.
Old May 18, 2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
I doubt the OP is using a shotgun with a "clip" (I assume you mean MAGAZINE?) fed shotgun.
I'm talking about the pocket clip on a Streamlight Stylus Pro. It may need to be removed before trying to slide the flashlight down the bore of a shotgun.

I know this is the internet, and everyone is in a hurry to sound smarter than everyone else, so it's best that you are sure of what you are talking about before you post up.
Old May 18, 2018, 09:35 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
In your haste to act all gun snob elitist you completely missed the fact that he was talking about a clip. The one on the flashlight!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 19, 2018, 09:46 AM   #7
CockNBama

The light need not be inserted into the muzzle. A small light, especially one whose beam can be narrowed, can be taped or wrapped to the end of the barrel.

Doing this can be helpful in smoothing your gun mount movement.