The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 2018, 08:59 PM   #1
darkgael

Need info...L.C. Smith SXS

One of my neighbors is cleaning out her home prior to an extensive renovation. The home has been owned by her family for close to 100 years. In one closet she found some o!d firearms. She called me to have a look. Three of them are interesting...a model 1842 Springfield musket, a Trapdoor Springfield rifle and a Field grade L.C. Smith SXS (ser. #48113). Very tight gun. Bright bores. No dings in either barrel. 30 inch barrels. Barrel finish worn, little bluing remains.

It is this shotgun that I am writing about. Provenance? History? Value range,? Any info would be helpful.
Pete
Old April 24, 2018, 09:58 PM   #2
BBarn

There is considerable variety among the LC Smith's produced over the years. Field grades were made from about 1912 to 1950. I believe the SN you gave would place it about 1922.

Value depends on the particulars of the gun. The gauge, barrel length, and options (auto ejectors, single trigger, and a few other items) all affect value in addition to condition and alterations.
Old April 25, 2018, 06:38 AM   #3
darkgael

Thanks for the reply. I have to get back to the gun to make positive the gauge.
Interestingly, the serial number repeats in 1949 production. That is all that I have been able to find.
Pete
Old April 25, 2018, 06:50 AM   #4
BBarn

The earlier date would apply if made by Hunter Arms. If so, the barrels or rib should say "Hunter Arms". If made in the later year, it would lack the Hunter Arms stamp.
Old April 27, 2018, 06:29 AM   #5
stuckinthe60s

can you snap some pics?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old April 28, 2018, 07:22 PM   #6
FITASC

You might also want to try asking at these two sites:

http://lcsmith.org/

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 29, 2018, 05:45 AM   #7
darkgael

I tried the LC Smith website before i posted here. The problem there is that the most detailed info is avaliable to members and membership has a fee. There is a service to supply a research letter...that is $75 for non members ($50 for members). It this were my gun, maybe, but it is not.