The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 22, 2018, 08:38 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

Federal LE1321B #1 -- any sources?

Hello,

I have a few boxes of the #1 Federal LE1321B Flite Control, but I would like some more. I can't find any online. Anyone have a source?

Thanks!
Old April 23, 2018, 12:08 AM   #2
Model12Win

I'm not a fan of that load.

It uses deceptively undersized and underweight pellets (this is to cram them into the flite control wad), has one less pellet than other #1 buck loads (one less wound track), and the reduced velocity and decreased weight doesn't give much more penetration over full power #4 buck loads, and the whole reason to use #1 buck is for more consistent and deeper penetration over #4 buck while increasing the wounding potential over 00 buck by increasing total surface area of the shot.

The flite control wad is excellent but in the #1 buck iteration it seems Federal had to or chose to make some compromises. Still effective? Of course, but I think traditional full-power 16 pellet #1 loads are superior. With a Vang Comp or similar barrel job the patterns can be very tight and effective on human attackers out to 30 meters.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:52 AM   #3
amd6547

Huh...I must of missed the part of the OP’s question where he asked for your opinion of the load...I thought he was just looking for a source.
Old April 23, 2018, 07:19 AM   #4
wild cat mccane

30% more surface area than those with Os while still meeting 12" in gel.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel...mozTocId430646

So I would still like some.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
Huh...I must of missed the part of the OP’s question where he asked for your opinion of the load...I thought he was just looking for a source.
You've a point. But it is what it is. I still don't regret what I posted.

OP it seems Federal is between runs of this lackluster load.
Old April 24, 2018, 06:48 AM   #6
amd6547

After reading for a couple years about how this “lackluster” load is the one of the most recommended and highly regarded self defense loads for the shotgun, I bought some.
In my HD Mossberg 500, I found it shot very well. The tight flitecontrol patterns combined with its low recoil makes it a top choice to use in an urban self defense shotgun.
It makes no claim to be the most powerful buckshot load made. If full out power were the only criteria, we would all be loading with 3” magnum loads.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:16 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

Only place I can find online.

Wants 30 shipping for one. Can only buy one box or a case for 300.

https://www.sincitymunitions.com/pro...l-1-buck-shot/
Old April 28, 2018, 08:04 AM   #8
MarkCO

It is one of the better loads if you want to keep a tighter pattern at distance. When it comes in stock, it sells out quickly. I keep some on hand as well, primarily for Coyotes when I am Pheasant hunting.

You are always going to find someone whose primary hobby is pissing in the wind just to make a mess.
Old May 1, 2018, 02:42 PM   #9
drasdse

I find out that many places are cheap but don't provide goods which i want.
Old May 2, 2018, 02:23 PM   #10
RMcL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post

It uses deceptively undersized and underweight pellets (this is to cram them into the flite control wad), has one less pellet than other #1 buck loads (one less wound track), and the reduced velocity and decreased weight doesn't give much more penetration over full power #4 buck loads, and the whole reason to use #1 buck is for more consistent and deeper penetration over #4 buck while increasing the wounding potential over 00 buck by increasing total surface area of the shot.

The flite control wad is excellent but in the #1 buck iteration it seems Federal had to or chose to make some compromises. Still effective? Of course, but I think traditional full-power 16 pellet #1 loads are superior. With a Vang Comp or similar barrel job the patterns can be very tight and effective on human attackers out to 30 meters.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The trade-off between pellet size and improved pattern performance has been going on a long time:

Winchester's 1963 introduction of the Mark V Shot Collar and granulated buffer to to the Super-X buckshot line effectively reduced the inside diameter of the hull. This in turn required a reduction in buckshot pellet diameter.

This was noted by Jack O'Connor in The Shotgun Book, (1970 printing, page 303).

00B was reduced from .330 to .323
#1B was reduced from .298 to .289
#4B was reduced from .240 to .233

Recently the size of current Federal brand 00B and #1B were noted at .323"/50 grains and .286"/33grains, respectively. See:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm
Old December 14, 2018, 05:54 PM   #11
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post

Believe Federal used #2 buck Lead pellets ( 0.270"/29.4grains) and then copper plated them (.286"/33grains).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
30% more surface area than those with Os while still meeting 12" in gel.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel...mozTocId430646

So I would still like some.

Red