The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2018, 08:35 PM   #1
Ann

Need Shotgun Advice

Okay, here’s my situation: the nearest big city to me has finally starting building bedroom communities within 50 miles of my 75-odd acres. That has led to a huge increase in the number of coyotes and other wildlife. Generally, I’ve had few problems with coyotes — they tend to be wary of people. However, a few weeks ago 2 of my dogs were attacked by a coyote. And these two dogs are big, one weighs over 100lbs and the other 80lbs. I wasn’t far off so did manage to fire at the coyote. (Neither dog was badly hurt, a bunch of stitches, that’s all.) But the only gun I had with me was my Henry lever rifle in 22lr. Not the best choice, I know.

I’m a 62 year old woman who has a total wrist partial forearm replacement in my dominant hand. I do have an old 20 gauge Mossberg with a wooden stock that weighs a ton and a shoulder pad that is as hard as hockey puck. Should I get a new shotgun and if so, any advice about brands, mode, etc? Or should I simply get a new stock? I’d need an adjustable stock — I’m assuming a plastic stock and I’d appreciate all the padding I can get. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old April 11, 2018, 08:40 PM   #2
xandi

Limb saver pad would help
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...k-rubber-black
Old April 11, 2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Ann

Thanks my fellow Georgian!
Old April 11, 2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Blindstitch

I'm a fan of buying other guns but I think the solution is a new recoil pad. Limbsaver or Pachmayr make great pads but I would also suggest calling mossberg. They might even send you one for free.

On the other hand if you do want a new gun the solution there might be a semi gas gun as the recoil should be reduced.
Old April 11, 2018, 09:55 PM   #5
amd6547

Putting a shotgun question in the rifle section is an intriguing way to seek information.
Old April 11, 2018, 11:47 PM   #6
Cirdan

Love the limbsaver myself.

Question is, are you too old to learn a new trick - shooting with your other hand?
Old April 12, 2018, 04:02 AM   #7
Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
Putting a shotgun question in the rifle section is an intriguing way to seek information.
Thanks for gently pointing out my error. Mea culpa.
Old April 12, 2018, 04:07 AM   #8
Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan View Post
Love the limbsaver myself.

Question is, are you too old to learn a new trick - shooting with your other hand?
I can and do sometimes shoot my handguns with non-dominant hand. The problem with any long gun is that I’m left eyed dominant and it’s my left hand that’s screwed.
Old April 12, 2018, 06:43 AM   #9
Scoits

The “old Moss” will do a fine job and the ton of weight helps with the recoil. Load er up with buck shot and grin the next time a coyote comes around. Would suggest you fire a couple of rounds at paper targets so you know where your gun is printing. Keep your distance under 30/35 yards for the target practice and the coyotes.
Hope the dogs are OK

BY the way if you close the dominant eye you can use the non injured shoulder/arm.
Old April 12, 2018, 08:09 AM   #10
kenny53

There is nothing wrong with a 22 for coyotes. I know for a fact it kills them. That being said I agree with 20ga buckshot. Go look at the mossberg maverick. They have a plastic stock and should be lighter. I think they come in 20ga. They should be around $200. Big 5 has them for sale often (12ga). Best of luck.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mos...action-shotgun

Last edited by kenny53; April 12, 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old April 12, 2018, 08:35 AM   #11
Salmoneye

Hard to use a shotgun if the Yotes are still on your dog...

I'd personally go for a lever gun in .357, but that's just me...

If all I had was a .22 or a .20 gauge, I'd go with the .22...
Old April 12, 2018, 11:11 AM   #12
Don Fischer

Myself, I'd probably skip the shotgun and use a pistol. Nothing bigger than a 38 is required and I have one of them and a 32 long. 38 probably be easier to get ammo for. I think you said your left eye dominate but right handed so guessing you shoot right handed? Teach yourself to shoot left handed. Be nice to take out the coyote's but simply firing a shot is gonna get their attention. That free's the dog's. Then you can shoot at the coyote when the dogs are clear.
Old April 12, 2018, 12:50 PM   #13
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547
Thanks for gently pointing out my error. Mea culpa.
No worries -- moved to the shotgun forum.
Old April 12, 2018, 01:55 PM   #14
FITASC

FIT is key - not just Length of Pull for recoil but all of the other stock dimensions as well.

With your hand/arm issue, shooting even a 20, especially with slugs IS going to transmit substantial recoil. Best advice would be to ask your ortho doc what your wrist/arm can withstand.

A 38/357 rifle shooting mild 38s will kill a coyote, as will an AR, both of which will have less recoil than a shotgun. If you insist on a shotgun, a .410 with buckshot or slug would offer the least recoil
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 12, 2018, 02:10 PM   #15
dreaming

As I understand the problem it isn't so much to kill the coyote, even if that would be ideal, but to drive them off. I like the idea of first talking with your orthopedist and then, subject to what he/sh says, going with a 20 gauge semi-automatic. This may be crazy, but have you experimented with switching to your weak side?
Old April 12, 2018, 02:43 PM   #16
Ricklin

Wally world

Walmart sells the slip on style limbsaver pads my local one has them for 20 bucks.
They do come in 2 or 3 sizes. I tend to lean toward.say a medium vs. a large. They are plenty stretchy and a tight fit is needed. Too big is a pita.
Old April 12, 2018, 06:45 PM   #17
2damnold4this

I don't think your Henry in .22LR is a bad choice. If you need more range or power than the .22lr provides, Henry does make a .22 magnum rifle. A shotgun has a lot of close range power but the price is recoil.
Old April 12, 2018, 07:15 PM   #18
Mainah

I’d trust my Model 10 over my 870 or 10/22 in defense of my dog from a coyote at close range. And I’d worry about rabies if a coyote attacked two dogs of that size.
Old April 12, 2018, 08:40 PM   #19
ammo.crafter

Coyotes

Check out a Remington 1100 in 20ga and install a Limbsavor. Great combination.
Old April 13, 2018, 01:41 AM   #20
10-96

That levergun Henry idea... one of those in .17HMR would be a pretty slick solution.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 13, 2018, 07:10 AM   #21
darkgael

The .22 magnum rifle suggestion is worth pursuing. Good power, minimal recoil, loud enough to scare the yotes.
Old April 13, 2018, 08:42 AM   #22
stuckinthe60s

keep what you got. learn to shoot from under your armpit.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old April 13, 2018, 08:43 PM   #23
geologist

Have you considered a recoil reducing stock like the Knoxx Specops?

I can shoot slugs and buckshot through my "870" all day with it.
Old April 14, 2018, 03:39 AM   #24
ms6852

I would stick with the 22 or a 22 magnum.
Old April 14, 2018, 11:23 AM   #25
T. O'Heir

"...a shoulder pad that is..." Easily replaced and not difficult to do yourself. Takes a screw driver.
However, which old 20 gauge Mossberg you have matters a bit. A pump gun is going to be heavy no matter what you do. And a synthetic stock increases felt recoil due to the lower weight.
Suggest you think about a semi-auto 20 gauge with rifle sights. Using a 5/8 ounce slug. Buckshot is useless past 35 or 40 yards. And, as mentioned, you're highly likely to hit one of the eating machines. A slug will be accurate out past 100 yards. Even with a smooth bore, you can expect 2 or 3 inch groups at 100.