The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2018, 04:27 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

FYI - here is a nice article by Tom Givens on the Beretta 1301T. He likes them.

http://rangemaster.com/wp-content/up...Newsletter.pdf

Tom teaches excellent shotgun classes.
Old April 9, 2018, 04:49 PM   #27
xandi

“Also, when a semi jams up, what are you gonna do about the BG?”
Same thing you do when you run out of shells, you use the butt to bash in some skulls
When you gotta defend your self and family, you do whatever it takes

Last edited by xandi; April 9, 2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old April 9, 2018, 05:37 PM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

That's funny. At an NTI FOF long ago, we had a mystery gun stage. You were in a 360 degree shoot house. You were wearing a large smock to simulate being naked in bed. You had a coach gun and a box of mixed 12 gauge rounds. Buck shot and birdshot. So at the start (simulating a break in), you had to take the gun and box of shells and negotiate the scenario, inside and outside.

So moving, loading, identifying surprise targets - quite a fun time. At one point, I fired two rounds at two targets. Suprise target appears next to me. So, I butt stroked it. The ref said that worked.

Running out of ammo in close quarters FOF - neat practice.
Old April 11, 2018, 05:42 PM   #29
Model12Win

One issue is that many, if not most, quality semi-autos are imported. Due to import restriction they cannot have full-capacity magazine tubes installed. So, the end user is forced to use and install a variety of aftermarket American made mag tubes while simultaneously balancing 922r compliance. Also less aftermarket parts and accessories are available compared to US shotguns.

Now there are some good US made semi-autos that can be suitable for defense work, but some are made by companies with questionable quality control or are unproven in service. I think many just buy an inexpensive domestic pump for home defense, and there are many good ones to choose from.
Old April 11, 2018, 05:49 PM   #30
JERRYS.

one of the main perks some people find with a semi-auto shotgun is the negligible recoil or "kick" they get compared to a pump shotgun.
Old April 11, 2018, 11:09 PM   #31
johnwilliamson062

I shot some informal, just for fun, local clay shooting events for a year or two. Mostly trap singles, but some 5 stand, buddy shoots, and other more entertaining games. Always a few pumps on the line. Whenever we got into doubles the number o short chucks was always astounding.
Unless you are practicing a lot with your pump I don't think it will run any more reliably than most semi-autos.
Old April 12, 2018, 05:38 AM   #32
std7mag

I think it boils down to 3 things.

1)Price of firearm purchase to begin with. Would you rather shorten up a $300 pump, or a $1,200 semi? Most semi's are of a "higher quality" with scroll work and such driving the price up.

2) Availability and cost associated with accesories. Light rails etc are made and fairly inexpensive for pumps, not so much for semi.

3) I was always told, and still firmly believe that the sound of a pump being racked is a universal "You Picked The Wrong House" sound.
Old April 12, 2018, 06:51 AM   #33
amd6547

“...I was always told, and still firmly believe that the sound of a pump being racked is a universal "You Picked The Wrong House" sound...”

Yeah, that sound works great, right after the BOOM of the first round firing.
Old April 13, 2018, 10:10 PM   #34
Creek Henry

If John Wick considers the M4 acceptable, then we should
Old April 14, 2018, 05:53 PM   #35
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
“...I was always told, and still firmly believe that the sound of a pump being racked is a universal "You Picked The Wrong House" sound...”

Yeah, that sound works great, right after the BOOM of the first round firing.
You better be cautious. Most shotguns such as the Mossberg and Remington are not drop safe. Knock the gun over or drop it at the wrong time and prepare to be dealing with a big hole you didn't plan on patching, and that's a best case scenario brother.

Read up on cruiser ready, brother. Thank me later.
Old April 14, 2018, 06:45 PM   #36
mete

Thanks ,now I've had my laugh for today !!
To think that a perp can hear the racking of a shotgun is a poor assumption if he's high on opioids and meth and alcohol . Even if he can hear it does he care ? If you insist - it should be rack -bang NOT rack then carefully watch for a proper reaction .
Try to live in the real world rather than with old worn out myths !!
Old April 14, 2018, 07:55 PM   #37
amd6547

Fact of the matter is, I do store my Mossberg 500 chamber empty under normal circumstances.
I merely scoff at the old rack it and scare them away theory. And, I accept that I will be racking my shotgun before utilizing it, in most cases.