The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2018, 02:38 PM   #1
stonewall50

Recoil Reduction Pistol Grip 870

I am just wondering what luck people have had with pistol grips (not PGO) on their 870. I would like to setup a turkey gun with a pistol grip and maybe a defensive gun later (turkey first) But I noticed when shooting a pistol grip the other day that the recoil was atrocious compared to Normal stocks. Maybe this one was too light? I don’t know. But I’d like to find out what other experiences have been had and get some advice. I’ve only ever really personally used vanilla stocks.

So. Pistol grips that reduce recoil? Are they out there? Any good? Should I look at specific models? I’ve seen some on google but I’m leery of the claims as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 29, 2018, 04:23 PM   #2
FITASC

If the regular stock transmit less recoil, then why not just use that? There's no special reason to put an AR-type stock on a hunting gun
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 29, 2018, 04:52 PM   #3
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
If the regular stock transmit less recoil, then why not just use that? There's no special reason to put an AR-type stock on a hunting gun

I’ve found it is easier to aim farther to the right with the pistol grip. Which is a nice thing in the bottoms here in Florida for turkey. You can’t always control the direction they come in and the more swing I have with control? The better chance I got. And I figure this may be something I want on a defensive gun for the same reason. I’ve looked at those magpull stocks that everyone buys, but I’ve never held one. And I don’t know how far to the right I can shoot with it. (I’m right handed just to put it out there).

Old March 30, 2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Don Fischer

My though on reducing ecoil is to use a lighter load of shot with a 1200fps velocity, I think target loads are there. But change the size of shot in a target load and use in in a field gun and there is no disadvantage! If that doesn't work, go to a smaller gauge and leave the magnum loads along. When I shot a 12ga, my load was 1 1/8oa #6 at 1200fps. I don't think I was at ant disadvantage ever! These day's I shoot a 28ga. Light gun and light recoil with target loads. You can attempt to turn your gun into a necular weapon but it's gonna recoil if you do and won't gain you much in the way of hit birds!
Old March 30, 2018, 12:53 PM   #5
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
My though on reducing ecoil is to use a lighter load of shot with a 1200fps velocity, I think target loads are there. But change the size of shot in a target load and use in in a field gun and there is no disadvantage! If that doesn't work, go to a smaller gauge and leave the magnum loads along. When I shot a 12ga, my load was 1 1/8oa #6 at 1200fps. I don't think I was at ant disadvantage ever! These day's I shoot a 28ga. Light gun and light recoil with target loads. You can attempt to turn your gun into a necular weapon but it's gonna recoil if you do and won't gain you much in the way of hit birds!

I guess I should have spread these out over 2 threads. My issue is that putting a pistol grip, from what I’ve noticed, on the gun increases recoil. I’d like to mitigate that if possible. Personally? For home defense? I think I’d go with a 20. The pistol grip is more important on the gun than anything else. It really does make that swing to the right easier. And I’m a big boy, I can handle the recoil lol.

Old March 30, 2018, 12:56 PM   #6
FITASC

I shoot a lot of clay targets; you will never see that type of grip on any shotgun for any of the clay games; and those games can require substantial movement both left and right, as well as up and down. I guess I am just not seeing how it makes it easier for you, especially only in one direction????
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 30, 2018, 01:55 PM   #7
stonewall50

Quote:
I shoot a lot of clay targets; you will never see that type of grip on any shotgun for any of the clay games; and those games can require substantial movement both left and right, as well as up and down. I guess I am just not seeing how it makes it easier for you, especially only in one direction????

Sit down on a tree or with something on a wall. Then just swing to your right with a normal stock. Then do it with the pistol grip. Your wrist being straight up and down is natural and more stable. It really does make sense once you do it. And remember you have to do it painfully slow and aimed.

Old March 30, 2018, 01:59 PM   #8
FITASC

OK, just trying to understand; my turkey hunting is in the grocery store a few days before Thanksgiving.....
Old March 31, 2018, 03:24 PM   #9
stonewall50

Quote:
OK, just trying to understand; my turkey hunting is in the grocery store a few days before Thanksgiving.....

Lol. Yea. I understand. You aren’t really shooting them while flying. For flyers a normal stock is preferred. At least for me.