The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2011, 08:18 PM   #1
CD User

Charles Daly Feeding Problem

I have a Charles Daly Field 12 ga pump action that has two issues Im trying to resolve. When I rack the pump the round will fall out of the bottom port, or the round will jam because another round is trying to come with it just about an 1/4" and pins the first round from loading. I have fired about 1000 rounds from it and I dont want to give up on it. Any ideas!
Old December 16, 2011, 09:15 PM   #2
oregunner

First thing to make sure of, is to insert the shell into the magazine all the way past the shell stop. Push it in hard. Then rack the gun like you mean it. Sometimes we try and be gentle with things, and they don't function like they were designed. I would get a couple aluminum snap caps and use them to see how things work or don't work, so you aren't playing with live ammo. Mark
Old December 17, 2011, 08:12 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ammo choice is also a factor...
Shot shells are built in terms of 1/8th inch length increments... +/- to the 1/8th...

Try a few different make and model of ammo.

And as aforementioned... Cycle the action like you mean it... It don't need flogged but a firm spankin' is what it seeks...

Brent
Old December 17, 2011, 12:34 PM   #4
CD User

Charles daly Feeding Problems

Racking the pump quickly made a difference, no more jams however now all rounds fall out of the bottom port. Its as if the loading fork pulls up before the round is set.
Old December 17, 2011, 03:24 PM   #5
oregunner

If it still under warranty, probably time to send it in. If not, maybe find a local gunsmith to take a look at it. Problem around here is that local smiths aren't really interested in messing with off brand guns. Good luck. Mark
Old December 17, 2011, 05:01 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Do a search on Charles Daly shotguns. You can start here. http://e-gun.net/more.asp?gid=20417&gun=Shotgun Then decide if you want to put any money into your CD.
Old December 17, 2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Goatwhiskers

CDUser, your interrupter is failing to catch the next shell coming out of the mag. However, read the reference KlawMan gave. The company that was importing the CD line folded and apparently the parts are made of unobtainium. The few I've gotten in my shop show all the signs of poor metallurgy by the Turks and IMHO are junk. I won't work on them. Goatwhiskers
Old December 17, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
If it still under warranty, probably time to send it in.
CD is out of business
Old December 17, 2011, 11:57 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Somewhere I think I read that the CD has been made by different compaies at different times. If you know who built yours, you might try contacting its manufacturer.
Old December 18, 2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Ricklin

KBI is gone

The last guns to bear the good name of Charles Daly were imported by KBI.
KBI is gone, no warranty.
KBI sullied the good Name CHarles Daly. Over the years is has meant high quality and often high end. The KBI guns are neither, with the possible exception of the Diamond series over and under.
Old April 25, 2018, 01:29 PM   #11
cybee101

Feed problem Charles daily

I have been looking for a solution for a feed problem on my Charles daily pump 12 gauage, seem like everybody is having this problem with this model , well I fixed mine , turn the gun upside down. if you look where the shells feed in there is a stopper on the right hand side that stops the shell when it comes down , on mine, the end of that that stopper (I guess is to sharp) it catches on the bottom of the shell and it can't retract , so I pushed the plug up with a pencil and using a
electric Dremel,(with a small grinding stone) ground the end of that stopper and it works great. Hope this helps for you , it did for me