The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Prof Young

Length of barrel includes . . .

The length of a shotgun barrel includes the length of a chamber . . . right? In other words if I have a shotgun that chambers three inch shells and the overall length of the barrel is 26 inches, then it's 3 inches of chamber and 23 inches of "barrel" . . . for a total barrel length of 26 . . . right?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 17, 2018, 11:20 PM   #2
nightwolf1974

Length of barrel is measured (on shotgun or rifle) from the face of the bolt (closed) to the end of the barrel.
Old February 18, 2018, 12:00 AM   #3
Prof Young

Thanks.

Thanks Knightwolf. I knew that about handguns but not sure about long guns. Makes sense that it would be the same. I guess it's a relatively simple neophyte question but there is so much to learn in the world of guns. You think you understand something then change guns and whatever it is you have to learn it all over again. But all in all it's a lotta fun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 20, 2018, 11:05 AM   #4
stuckinthe60s

another way is... from the muzzle to the where the primer in the base of the hull seats in the chamber.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 20, 2018, 11:54 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
another way is... from the muzzle to the where the primer in the base of the hull seats in the chamber.
I am fairly certain ATFE measures from the bolt face. NOt very important when talking about 26", but it is for 18"
Old February 20, 2018, 12:12 PM   #6
BigJimP

Its easy to check barrel length....just close the bolt/ or the action like on a SXS or O/U ...and put a dowel rod into barrel from muzzle end...and make a mark on dowell rod at end of barrel - when dowel rod bottoms out on head of bolt...

and remove and measure the dowel where you marked it...
Old February 20, 2018, 12:26 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
Its easy to check barrel length....just close the bolt/ or the action like on a SXS or O/U ...and put a dowel rod into barrel from muzzle end...and make a mark on dowell rod at end of barrel - when dowel rod bottoms out on head of bolt...

and remove and measure the dowel where you marked it...
Jut to add, make sure the thing is unloaded....................that method is exactly how the ATF will do if they suspect an unlicensed SBS
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 20, 2018, 02:11 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...knew that about handguns..." Depends on the hand gun and the legal definition where you are. Pistols are measured with a closed action. Revolvers are the actual barrel without the cylinders in most places.
And permanently attached compensators/muzzle brakes may or may not apply. Up here, they do not.
Old February 20, 2018, 02:58 PM   #9
stuckinthe60s

Hard to measure from bolt face if bbl is disconnected. thus the way I suggested. many people buy used bbls stuck in a basket at old gun shops. handy to know the chamber to muzzle way.
6 to one, 1/2 dozen to the other.......
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner