The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2018, 07:40 PM   #1
old fart

bad luck on new gun

i have been having trouble with my maverick 88, but mossberg has been A+ on helping me fix it. so with their great service i decided to get another maverick 88 today so my wife and i could shoot together. i bought it at walmart still in box as i don't like getting display models, i checked it out on the working slide and everything was smooth, so i bought it. got it home and the front bead is broken off, i did not think to check the barrel as there isn't much to go wrong. i really hate calling mossberg again about this but they should have checked this. how do i get a new one back on?, i don't think i have a wrench that small, does anyone know the size? thanks
Old February 9, 2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Kvon2

I don't know the size unfortunately..

Is any part of the old bead still in the hole? That could be a real pain to get out.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:31 PM   #3
old fart

yes its still there, its the white top that is broke off. the part the take a socket or something is still there, but i don't have a small size wrench or socket to fit it.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:59 PM   #4
stuckinthe60s

clamp bbl in a vise. use a very small adj wrench if its a hex base. put masking tape on both sides of the rib (if it has a rib) so you don't marr it when you twist it out. many use a small needlenose.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 10, 2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Don Fischer

Take it back to the store you got it from and exchange it!
Old February 10, 2018, 11:21 AM   #6
FITASC

Or, learn to not worry about having a bead anyway. Your eyes should focus on the target, not the bead. Otherwise, call Mossberg and send them a pic and they'll probably swao you out a new barrel
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 10, 2018, 01:05 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...bought it at Wal-Mart still in box..." That's says it all. You take it back to Wally World, not Mossberg, first. Then, if they refuse to replace the thing, call Mossberg. Or fix it yourself. It's a 5-40 thread bead. Those are everywhere. You'll need a busted screw extractor. Or you can drill it out, if you have the right drill. Doable with a hand drill, but it's easier with a drill press.
"...clamp bbl in a vise..." Too easy to crush a shotgun barrel. Needs Vee blocks.
You need to quit buying firearms for your wife too. If she's the shooter, it has to fit her, not you.
"...learn to not worry about..." Yep. Target sits on top of the muzzle. Used an 870 for years with no sights.
Old February 11, 2018, 09:12 AM   #8
GarandTd

I couldn't fit the socket over the knobby white front bead, but on the mid-barrel bead, the hex size is 5/32. I imagine they are the same.

That 5/32 socket is part of a Craftsman Mechanic tool set I received as a gift from my parents on my 16th birthday.
Old February 11, 2018, 10:44 AM   #9
joed

When I bought a Mossberg I purchased one of the Tru glo Glo-Dot sites which was a stick on. It has stayed on for 18 years now.
Old February 11, 2018, 05:17 PM   #10
old fart

i bought the new gun for me as the other one she wanted it, she had already put an adjustable stock on it. wal mart won't take anything back, but the metal part of the sight is still there , just the white bead is gone. how good are these?, Dead Ringer Uni-Bead Fiber Optic Shotgun Sight DR4386. i have never put on a sight before on a shotgun and have never used these. gonna call mossberg tomorrow but with that little white bead able to come off, even if they send one i am gonna get something for backup. thanks
Old February 11, 2018, 06:17 PM   #11
joed

Here's what I did. I was looking for a shotgun to keep on the boat at the time. I looked at the Mossberg Mariner, Winchester 1300 Marine and Remington 870 nickel.

The Mossberg was 1/2 the price of the 870 and the 1300 was not all stainless so I decided to pass on the 1300. However, the 1300 had a site like the one in my pictures. So I told the salesman that I wanted a Mossberg with the same sight that was on the 1300.

It lights up outdoors in the light and you can see it really well. But, I do not use the bead sight anymore. Whatever I got adheres to the barrel and it has been there for 18 years. I have to admit I really like the way it lights up. With this you will not need the bead sight. Look how it lights up in my house, even brighter outside.

Last edited by joed; February 11, 2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old February 11, 2018, 06:27 PM   #12
FITASC

Depending on its intended use, those glow worms have a tendency to take your eye off your target.............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 11, 2018, 11:24 PM   #13
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Depending on its intended use, those glow worms have a tendency to take your eye off your target.............
Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger, doesn't get much simpler then that.

Have you ever tried one?

Can you supply names of those that have made that statement? LOL

Last edited by joed; February 12, 2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old February 13, 2018, 08:14 PM   #14
Jimbo-Indy

I'm with FITASC. Glo sights work OK for stationary targets at fairly close range but for moving targets, like in trap, skeet or other clays games, you want to fixate on the "bird". The end of the barrel will be out of focus in your peripheral vision. If your gun fits properly, it will shoot where you are looking. The only thing I use the beads for is to confirm I have mounted the gun correctly. Once gun is mounted, I'm looking down range to pick up the clay. Have shot many rounds of trap without any front bead, doesn't seem to be much difference.
Old February 14, 2018, 04:47 PM   #15
Ricklin

^^^^

Shotguns are pointed not aimed. Turkey hunters get a pass.

My trap score went down when I put a glo worm on my gun, that was a long time ago.
Old February 14, 2018, 04:52 PM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger, doesn't get much simpler then that.

Have you ever tried one?

Can you supply names of those that have made that statement? LOL
Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger and you will miss anything that is moving - every time. (As Ricklin and Jimbo above me have stated) Since a turkey or deer hunter uses it like a rifle at a stationary target, that is something different. Let your eyes focus on your target - it is physically impossible for the human eye to focus both near and far at the same time, so if you are looking at the glowworm, you are not focused on your target. Let your eyes guide your hands (and therefore the gun) to where it needs to be.
Old February 17, 2018, 12:38 AM   #17
old fart

is thread locker needed when installing the front sight?
Old February 17, 2018, 10:49 AM   #18
GarandTd

Probably couldn't hurt.
Old February 17, 2018, 11:27 PM   #19
nightwolf1974

First off, don't walk into Wally with the shotgun....bad idea! Call them ask if will exchange it first. But, I think all firearms sales are final in retail stores like Wally and Runnings. Call Mossberg and tell them what happened. That's what warranties are for.
Old February 18, 2018, 12:26 AM   #20
old fart

mossberg sent a sight, i don't have thread locker but have nail polish. do i need anything to keep it tight? the old one didn't seem to have anything on it. thanks