The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 29, 2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Andy1

WSSM info

I have a chance to pick up a Model 70 .223 wssm for $300. I'm thinking about getting it and converting it to 500 Auto Max. They have the same rim size, short case length, and pressure rating. I think it would be pretty straight forward. Does anyone have any experience with this type of conversion?
Old December 30, 2019, 07:30 AM   #2
taylorce1

I really don't know anything about the cartridge other than it's a rimless .500 S&W. It'll work as far as a single shot rifle, but I suspect you'll run into issues making it feed from the internal magazine. You might try contacting B&M Rifles and Cartridge they've done alot of research wildcatting the WSM/WSSM cartridges. They also have a .50 B&M and Super Short which is a straight walled WSM/WSSM cartridge that feeds from the internal magazine, so they've probably worked out most feeding issues if there are any.
Old December 30, 2019, 01:03 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

If you do build a 500 Auto Max, buy as much brass as you can afford at the same time. New cartridges come and go at the whim of some MBA. Starline wants $318.50 per 500.
"...issues making it feed from the internal magazine..." A nylon spacer should fix that. Mind you, the follower might cause grief too.
I'd be thinking that finding an M70 barrel for a .512" bullet might be an issue too.
Old December 30, 2019, 02:59 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
I'd be thinking that finding an M70 barrel for a .512" bullet might be an issue too.
I was under the impression it uses a .500" bullet like the 500 S&W? Feeding should work with minor tweaking, the cartridge is about as long as a 223 cartridge. And making a barrel from a blank is a non-issue, make Model 70 barrels all the time.
Old January 1, 2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Andy1

The 500 Auto Max uses .500" bullets. It's a rimless .500 S&W. I looked around for a barrel and it was too much trouble.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the bolt head on the Winchester WSSM bolt from the magnum rim to a standard .473 rim? I've seen Savage and Browning bolt heads for $25-$30 online. Maybe I could build a 450 Bushmaster or 45 Raptor.

Thanks for the help.
Old January 1, 2020, 09:18 PM   #6
Scorch

No, Model 70s do not have removable bolt heads.