The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 9, 2016, 08:27 AM   #1
ATN082268

Revolver reloading

Revolver reloading. How does everyone train to do it? I've seen a number of youtube videos for reloading revolvers but a lot of them don't seem very well suited for self defense and/or a novice shooter.
Old November 9, 2016, 08:43 AM   #2
g.willikers

Just practice until it becomes second nature.
Speed loaders make it easier.
In a self defense situation, when you reload is as important as how.
Carrying more than one revolver is another way to deal with it.
Old November 9, 2016, 09:48 AM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Carrying more than one revolver is another way to deal with it.
A.K.A, the "New York reload".
When it comes to speedloaders, not all are created equal. I use several HKS speedloaders when shooting on my home range (on my private propery), and shoot nearly every day using them when the weather permits (all Summer long). So, I have practiced, practiced, practiced with them. I have come to the conclusion that while my HKS speedloaders make revolver shooting more convenient, they would be nearly useless in a defensive reload scenario. I would suggest trying out the Safariland type of speedloader.
Old November 9, 2016, 10:14 AM   #4
kraigwy

In self defense, reload under cover
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 9, 2016, 12:18 PM   #5
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
Just practice until it becomes second nature.
Speed loaders make it easier.
Agreed, but will also point out the mechanics of the reload are an important part of a good and efficient reload. If you don't know the mechanics, you'll spend an awful lot of time practicing incorrectly, or re-inventing them. My suggestion, then, is to find a good revolver shooter to help you with the mechanics. Then practice your butt off.
Old November 9, 2016, 12:41 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Watch a couple of Jerry Miculek's videos, pick up your jaw and practice. However, if you need to reload in a CCW situation, you've done something wrong already. Self defense isn't about protracted gun battles.
Old November 9, 2016, 01:04 PM   #7
MrBorland

Not taking anything from JM's extraordinary skill, but I've watched many of his vids - they're inspirational, to be sure, but I've never really learned anything from them. Jerry's in the business of competing and enhancing his brand, not teaching, and IMO, his videos reflect that.

And as far as reloads, there are far too many elements that are very subtle and happen much too fast to glean from his vids. Also keep in mind that JM's reloads, while great for competition, would likely need some tweaking if they are to be used as a template for a good SD reload.

Watch vids if you like - there are some that are useful - but it'd be best to find a good instructor who know what they're doing and will work with you 1-on-1, then practice a bunch at home with dummy rounds and empty cases.

BTW, 2 other things to keep in mind:
1) Practice your reloads at the range as well. Practicing at home with dummy rounds and empty cases is critical, but so is practicing at the range with live rounds. One of the reasons why you like shooting revolvers should no longer be that you don't have to bend over to collect your brass.

2) Always keep in mind that your reload is only as good as the shot before and the shot after. A speedy reload is nice, but flubbing either of those shots because you're rushing the reload is counterproductive. Keep that in mind while practicing at the range.
Old November 9, 2016, 01:10 PM   #8
roashooter

"Self defense isn't about protracted gun battles."

this is exactly correct!!!!!
Old November 9, 2016, 01:14 PM   #9
jglsprings

What's the big deal? It's easy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw
J/K...

It sure is fun to watch.

Commas save lives...
Old November 9, 2016, 02:07 PM   #10
K_Mac

Quote:
"Self defense isn't about protracted gun battles."
While this is generally true, it is not a given that 5 or 6 rounds will stop the fight. I am always surprised by how certain some folks are that a reload is not required. Uncertainty is a constant in life, and gun battles.
Old November 9, 2016, 08:10 PM   #11
shafter

You're going to want to give consideration to where you carry your reload. The last thing you want to be doing is juggling things from hand to hand while fighting adrenaline.
Old November 10, 2016, 07:26 AM   #12
Don P

Quote:
However, if you need to reload in a CCW situation, you've done something wrong already.
Seriously? I have to disagree. Multiple attackers possible. A single attacker not breaking off the fight? I'll ask do you carry an extra magazine. I carry speed loaders when carrying a revolver. No carrying an extra mag or speedloader is foolish. No one here can predict how the possible future gun fight/battle will go and how much ammo will be needed if any. Better to be prepared, is why we carry in the first place. You have a spare tire in the trunk, right? You only need the 4 that are on the car.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 10, 2016, 09:33 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

HKS speedloaders. I also used Safariiland speedloaders but carried the former while I wore a revolver as my duty sidearm.
Old November 10, 2016, 11:09 AM   #14
shafter

Quote:
However, if you need to reload in a CCW situation, you've done something wrong already
I'm not a huge fan of snubnose revolvers for self defense these days, but, why is it that the person who needs to reload their 5 shot revolver has done something wrong but no one bats an eye when it takes 6 or 7 rounds from a high capacity auto to stop the fight? Rounds required are rounds required and there is no way to know ahead of time how many will be needed.
Old November 10, 2016, 01:28 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Older police firearms manuals (privately published) used to show how to load with speedloaders. Look them up or find an old cop who can show you.
Old November 10, 2016, 07:30 PM   #16
Nanuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHsfTHCUm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4mVI27Msyo
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 11, 2016, 12:24 PM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

This just another version of the modal self-defense situation with one or two opponents who will be eliminated with a few shots.

1. Most self-defense gun usages take no ammo. So don't carry any if you want to go with the modal number of shots fired.

2. Internet folks always assumed they will hit the target with a disabling shot the first time.

3. They ignore the idea of a rare but possible defensive situation like San Bernadino or Orlando.

4. I doubt they have little experience in FOF or match exercises with snubbies. I do - reloads are slow and you miss.

Thus, the usual cliches about only need 5 shots, no loads, you won't miss - are just that.

Decide where you are in the risk continuum. Do you plan for a relatively low level one opponent close up incident or for a reasonable cutoff for a more intense one. Thus for any gun, carry a reload. Revolvers are fine guns for the former. However, you are not someone like Miculek. I know folks at his level. They shoot 20,000 rounds a year. Unless limited by dress or circumstance, my view is that a semi auto and an extra mag reaches a reasonable decision point for the rarer but possible more intensive situation.

I recommend heartily before you opine - train with a revolver, shoot matches with it and speedloaders vs. a semi. Then make your choice.
Old November 11, 2016, 02:55 PM   #18
Nanuk

Quote:
This just another version of the modal self-defense situation with one or two opponents who will be eliminated with a few shots.

1. Most self-defense gun usages take no ammo. So don't carry any if you want to go with the modal number of shots fired.

2. Internet folks always assumed they will hit the target with a disabling shot the first time.

3. They ignore the idea of a rare but possible defensive situation like San Bernadino or Orlando.

4. I doubt they have little experience in FOF or match exercises with snubbies. I do - reloads are slow and you miss.

Thus, the usual cliches about only need 5 shots, no loads, you won't miss - are just that.

Decide where you are in the risk continuum. Do you plan for a relatively low level one opponent close up incident or for a reasonable cutoff for a more intense one. Thus for any gun, carry a reload. Revolvers are fine guns for the former. However, you are not someone like Miculek. I know folks at his level. They shoot 20,000 rounds a year. Unless limited by dress or circumstance, my view is that a semi auto and an extra mag reaches a reasonable decision point for the rarer but possible more intensive situation.

I recommend heartily before you opine - train with a revolver, shoot matches with it and speedloaders vs. a semi. Then make your choice.

I could not agree more. I run a revolver better than many but I carry a semi 99.9% of the time.
Old November 11, 2016, 08:48 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

This kind of discussion is always fun, but in fact is in the same category as those dancing angels. And discussing SD shooting is a bit like arguing about marksmanship based on watching old Western movies.

Worse, few of the "experts" have ever been in a real gunfight or actually faced the immediate possibility of sudden death. (Disclaimer: this writer has been in a few dicey situations but never was shot at or fired a shot at another human being. Some "experts" have told me that when things turn bad, training takes over and action is instinctive. Maybe, but none of those "experts" had ever been shot at fired at a live target, either.)

Most of those who have been in serious danger and fired in self-defense were not really "prepared." They were store clerks, delivery men, home owners, who had no special training (and certainly not the hours and days of practice most game players recommend). Unlike the professional exhibition shooters, they have to earn a living doing something else besides shooting, and most really were not very good, just lucky.

So should we "prepare" for every possible contingency? Should the pizza guy pack 2 or 3 (or 30 or 50) guns and 100 (or 1000 or 10,000) rounds of ammo? And what kind of training will prepare a citizen (or an officer) for a domestic that goes bad in a split second?

Jim
Old November 11, 2016, 09:38 PM   #20
jrothWA

for any CPL carry...

I have two speed-loaders / speed strips or mag with me.

best practice I found was attending bowling pin shoots, you reload with eye on the table and slip two round noses into the cylinder and the remainders follow.

Speed strips need to load two at a time.
Old November 12, 2016, 07:05 AM   #21
Don P

Quote:
I concur, ^^^^^^^ Find a ICORE match and shoot it.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 13, 2016, 09:39 AM   #22
Nanuk

Quote:
Worse, few of the "experts" have ever been in a real gunfight or actually faced the immediate possibility of sudden death. (Disclaimer: this writer has been in a few dicey situations but never was shot at or fired a shot at another human being.
I don't claim to be an expert but I did carry a revolver into harms way for 20 years, being shot at more times than I can count. I have competed with them for over 30 years.
Old November 13, 2016, 11:08 PM   #23
849ACSO

There are four things I ALWAYS carry.

- A gun

- Minimum of 1 re-load for said gun.

- A blade

- The ability to make fire.

I started my LEO career 22 years ago with the wheel. It was the FBI revolver reload method with HKS speedloaders. Those touting Safarliland, I had back luck with those accidentally having the button pushed and all of my rounds being on the ground instead of ready to be in the cylinder. HKS was a bit slower, but more dependable for me.

If I'm carrying a 5 shot off duty, I use the speed strip with the same method.
Old November 14, 2016, 02:35 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

For snubbies, I've seen recommended and taught to load 4 in the five shot speed strip with two, a space and two. The idea is that you can quickly get in two rounds and then another two. You load the pair at the same time. This gets you back in the fight quicker than five, one at a time.

It is embarrassing when you accidentally trigger your speed loader and dump the round in your pocket or on the ground. The crowd laughs. In the semi world - it's when you don't seat the mag and when you raise it up, the mag falls out. Hahaha, the crowd sez.
Old November 18, 2016, 04:44 PM   #25
Mannlicher

I use Bianchi speed strips and the HK loaders. Both work fine. You have to practice though. Again, and again, and again.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan