The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2015, 03:28 PM   #26
Tinbucket

Best Powder for .44 240 grain or XTP

sawdust dad.
Every load with heavy bullets or even light ones, in the .44 mag leaves s rpint of the recoil shield and slightly flattened primer.
I ran across loading with standard, not magnum rifle primers. The Ruger has plenty stout hammer springs to handle them.
I haven't tried using them and adjusting loads for more powerful primer, myself but have been thinking of giving it a try with standard precautions of measuring cases etc for pressure.
With the 7 1/2 in barrel I've wondered if perhaps there is a every so slightly slower powder or an already researched duplex loading, for a few hundred feet more in velocity with no excess pressures.
Next I need to have the barrel ported or strengthen my wrist.
Old February 6, 2015, 03:51 PM   #27
Tinbucket

Best Powder for .44 240 grain or XTP

has anyone tried the Dyna Bore Coat marketed for calibers like magnum rifles?
It is supposed to protect the throat and bore from hot gas erosion.
I haven't tried Lil Gun but won't if erosion will destroy the forcing cone, cylinder and barrel.
Old February 6, 2015, 09:30 PM   #28
sawdustdad

I've started using/playing with 4227 in .44mag as an alternative to W296. I don't have a chronograph, so I can't really tell how it's working, but my perception is less recoil, even at maximum loads. Have no idea if it's due to lower velocity or slower powder burn rate. I do like that you can load it down some. I still have plenty of 296, but I shoot a lot more .44spl loads now-a-days than full power .44 mag. Easier on the old hands...so the option to use 4227 or 800x or even, at the bottom, (.44spl level) Red Dot or 700x, makes shooting a bunch more fun.
Old February 7, 2015, 02:50 PM   #29
Sevens

Quote:
1. Starts as Rugers are tougher and can handle beyond standard full power loads.

2. Then becomes, S & W is weaker than the Ruger, and can't handle as heavy loads.

3. Ultimate internet transaltion - S&W are weak. Don't shoot full power loads in them.
I'm a Smith & Wesson guy through and through and my revolver balance does not "tilt" in the direction of Smith & Wesson, it's more like I have a few scattered others and a huge morass of Springfield revolver hardware, and that's the truth all the way and that isn't ever going to change.

However, if you want to thread drift in this direction, add "0.5" to your enumerated list, and that would be the metallic silhouette shooters that found the weakness in the Model 29's such to the point that Smith & Wesson themselves addressed and corrected it.

It doesn't make the Smith & Wesson a bad gun and it doesn't make the GP-100 tougher than the 686 (which is another common item further down the enumerated list) but it also is NOT internet myth. It's history spoken through the words and experiences of the handgun distance shooters of the 1970s and 1980s.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:24 PM   #30
black mamba

Even though it meters worse than any other powder I've ever tried (+/- 0.3 gr.) 800-X is very accurate with 240 XTPs in my 629 Classic. 13.0 grains gives me around 1250 fps and 1" groups at 25 yds.
Old February 8, 2015, 07:36 AM   #31
Real Gun

In terms of powder supply, I am committed to Power Pro 300-MP. I recently toned it down to 20.0 gr w/240 gr coated LSWC.
Old February 8, 2015, 12:46 PM   #32
TimSr

Quote:
In terms of powder supply, I am committed to Power Pro 300-MP. I recently toned it down to 20.0 gr w/240 gr coated LSWC.
I was very interested in this powder, but have heard very little from people who have actually used it. Charts and graphs would seem to indicate better velocities than even 110/296, but I'm more interested in real world comparisons.
Old February 8, 2015, 02:28 PM   #33
Fisher

W296 has been my go to powder for my S&W 629 and my 12" Contender for years now. It has always given me good even performance. I also shoot the 240 grain Hornady XTP bullet out of both of them. I have taken many deer over the years with these combinations and have had no complaints. The Contender has taken deer out to 100 yards with no follow up shots needed.

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old February 9, 2015, 10:52 AM   #34
mxsailor803

I just finished off a 8lbs keg of 4227 thats dedicated to just my .44's. Now I also use W296 from time to time. I also use TrailBoss for my practice loads. But I stick with 4227 with the 240 XTP. I really like this bullet for hogs and deer. I'm thinking about trying out the 300 XTP for hogs next month. We'll see what happens.
Old February 9, 2015, 10:22 PM   #35
TimSr

Quote:
I'm thinking about trying out the 300 XTP for hogs next month.
I loaded some and could never get them sighted in on my 7.5" Redhawk. With my rear sight adjusted all the way down, they were still shooting about 2 feet high at 100 yards. I'd be interested in how they perform for you. My own thoughts were that I'd rather stick with 240s to keep the velocity up to assure the bullets expand properly. They are supposed to expand well down to 800 fps, but I'm always skeptical of that until I see it. I think I'd want 300s in a carbine, though.
Old February 11, 2015, 09:44 AM   #36
mxsailor803

I haven't tried the 300's yet in my 629 but my Henry and Ruger Deerfield do pretty good with them. I've just got to play with the fps and powders to see what I can use in all 3 and be satisfied with it (probably never satisfied lol).