The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2015, 11:04 PM   #1
brannose

Would like confirmation on 9mm load

I'm a newbie and would like to get confirmation on a 9mm load.

147 gr Xtreme HP plated bullets, 5.2 gr HS6, CCI 500 primers, 1.11 col.

According to Xtreme, their plated bullets should be good at midrange FMJ load ranges. According to my Lyman book, 4.8 to 5.8 grs. is the range for 147 gr fmj. I did some test loads starting at 4.8 gr. and the 5.2 grain load shot well and cycled the gun just fine, so I decided to go with it.

My only concern is the lack of actual info for the Xtreme plated bullets. I've read that they can be treated the same as fmj and also read that they should be treated like lead. Hodgdon has 5 gr as the limit for 147gr. lead bullets.

Any thoughts/concerns on this load? Thanks.
Old January 21, 2015, 11:58 PM   #2
chris in va

If 5.2 functions well with no signs of overpressure, then you've found a good load. Incidentally this is where a chronograph comes in handy to check your rounds.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:32 AM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
147 gr Xtreme HP plated bullets, 5.2 gr HS6, CCI 500 primers, 1.11 col.
Sounds about right. I don't load a lot of 9mm (I happen to have a lot of factory), but I do load a 147g lead with 5.0g HS-6, CCI 500 primers. It's a mild and good shooting round. I'm sure your 5.2g is right in the ball park.

Quote:
According to Xtreme, their plated bullets should be good at midrange FMJ load ranges.
That's basically correct. In the case of 9mm/147g, there's no need to get overly concerned about over driving them. If it were 357 Sig, I'd have a different response.

Quote:
My only concern is the lack of actual info for the Xtreme plated bullets.
Relax. Most all 147's basically have the same shape, and they all behave about the same - in this instance, 147 data is 147 data.

Quote:
I've read that they can be treated the same as fmj and also read that they should be treated like lead.
Do not treat them as lead. This is a nasty loader's legend that refuses to die. Treat them as jacketed. In the case of 9mm, it's not that critical either way; because 9mm guns tend to have short length, large bore spec (loose) barrels. So a stuck bullet is rarely an issue. But overall, it is a common fallacy to load plated bullets with lead data. Lead has far less barrel friction than copper. For that reason, use jacketed data.

Now a lot of loaders will scream the sky is falling for fear of over-driving plated bullets - they fixate on this rare phenomenon; then over-react and think lead data should therefore be used. If we were talking about - say - a 125g 357 Magnum round that you planned on driving the holy heck out of, I'd say yes, you need to back off your load or use an actual jacketed bullet. But you're not. You have a heavy 147g 9mm bullet and it is highly unlikely that you'll run up against this problem. Treat as jacketed.

HS-6 under a 147 - great combination, btw. You did well. Speer #14 maxes at 5.5g, so you're right in the wheelhouse.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; January 22, 2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old January 22, 2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

I have shot X-Treme 9mm rounds up to max FMJ pressures using Autocomp and WSF. Also have shot upper mid range X-tremes in .40 using Autocomp with no worries.

What i noticed was that the 9mm accuracy began to fade using plated bullets around .2 gr from max and max were still accurate enough but full pressure were grouping 1" larger at max than .4gr from max at 7yds/21'. .4gr was accurate as all get out tearing out a quarter size hole at 7yds/21'.

I don't know what variables lead to the group accuracy changing so quick. I could guess it was the limit of the softer round and/or that is was 115gr, or a combination in the gun used, but I have no proof as to the real cause. YMMV
Old January 22, 2015, 08:59 AM   #5
brannose

Thanks all.

I was pretty confident that the load was good but just wanted to hear it from more experienced loaders.

I used up all of my Extreme 147s and I'm thinking of trying some coated lead bullets, possibly from Bayou Bullets. For those I will work up lead loads.
Old January 22, 2015, 09:25 PM   #6
9MMand223only

Nick CS is right.

Treat them as jacketed.

5.2 is a fine load with that powder. As long as all the other specs are in line with normality. Only you know that.

the more you load, the more you will see that every single book charge range that exists since SAAMI dominated the scene is VASTLY conservative.

And rifle is worse. Inspect brass cases and primers and creep up to whatever those tell you is good, and that is how experienced loaders do it. The book is merely a guideline to most people that load all the time. your not going for power I am guessing, but rather accuracy and ease of shooting. To which you might use .2 grains over what BARELY doesn't cycle the gun, that is acceptable accuracy, so it shoots light. Most 9 MM pistols out of the box, will shoot in the low to mid 200's in energy at the muzzle, and it shoots like a dream, so light.

To get an idea of loading range, ask your buddies where the next 9 MM Major match is being held. Go to that, and ask some of those guys some detailed questions about what they did to their guns, what load they use, etc.

After seeing that first hand, you will get a better idea for loads in general.

HS-6 is a TOP TOP load used by 9 MM Major, as well, so its perfect for you to attend one of these to ask questions.

some of these guys on here, I am sure, have load books from the 70's, or ones from Europe, and if you saw those, you would laugh.