The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 2013, 08:14 PM   #76
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A hand-raised pet buck can be--and several have been--a dangerous problem. Pet does, however, are generally less trouble than a pet goat.
Old December 12, 2013, 09:25 PM   #77
shortwave

Quote:
A hand-raised pet buck can be--and several have been--a dangerous problem
Yep...same as a bull raised from a calf can mature into an ornery critter that a p-elm club can't straighten out. Then ya gotta make a move to get rid of him before he hurts something. Either use him for tradin stock or turn em' into burger.

The neighbor ended a very frisky angus bulls career a couple summers ago when the bull over-stepped its bounds one to many times and attacked the tractor. Neighbor on the tractor. That bull was born and raised right there on the farm having been hand fed many times by the G-kids when younger. Older he got the nastier he got.

He chased me a couple times when I was turkey hunting the same spring time prior to meeting his demise. Just had to keep a keen eye out for him as you were sneakin in before daylight.

Funny thing, neighbor kept a bull calf offspring of the late 'Mr Nasty' that is just as gentle as they come.

Sooo...enjoy the 'pet buck' but if he starts to present a problem, best advice is to deal with it quickly in one of the prior suggested methods.

Quote:
Pet does, however, are generally less trouble than a pet goat
Is this the reason the 'other half ' always calls me 'an old goat'
Old December 12, 2013, 09:39 PM   #78
skoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger
You've got to be kidding me.

Side A says "It's not an ethical issue. Each hunter should do whatever they want that's legal."

Side B says "I don't want to shoot it and no one else should either."

and it's Side A that has a NARROW VIEW?!
No, I'm not kidding, Brian.

Seems to me that hunters probably have lots of decent bucks to harvest. Shooting that one just because it's so easily available and not spooked by human presence does seem short-sighted when it's been stated that it's the "town's deer."

Here' the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852

Would you shoot it?

This seems to be the towns family pet. It seems to know Texas law and when hunting season starts. It mainly feeds withing the city limits and on the side roads.
Why can't a hunter hunt up another one?

Why create ill will with the town folk unnecessarily?

I've personally witnessed the reaction of folks upset when "their" bull elk was shot at dawn the year before last. Some folks who lived nearby heard the shot, came to investigate and were pretty unhappy, to put it mildly. The sheriff dispatched a deputy who advised the hunter (he did have a license) to take the road heading away from town ASAP in order to avoid more trouble with the locals. This is in a very rural area with lots of gun-totin' people who aren't PETA members by any stretch. It's ranch country. But they took this very personally.

There are lots of deer these days. Letting that one go and finding another doesn't mean your freezer will be empty all winter.

But it's a judgement call. This thread is presenting both sides. I don't expect to persuade anyone to give up their viewpoint.
Old December 12, 2013, 10:08 PM   #79
Bezoar

actually due to APR that comes in effect next year, that would me the smallest thing hornwise i can shoot. So i WOULD be required to shoot it.
Old December 12, 2013, 11:21 PM   #80
ZeroJunk

Quote:
I've personally witnessed the reaction of folks upset when "their" bull elk was shot at dawn the year before last. Some folks who lived nearby heard the shot, came to investigate and were pretty unhappy, to put it mildly. The sheriff dispatched a deputy who advised the hunter (he did have a license) to take the road heading away from town ASAP in order to avoid more trouble with the locals. This is in a very rural area with lots of gun-totin' people who aren't PETA members by any stretch. It's ranch country. But they took this very personally.
I suspect there have already been plenty of hunters who have passed on the deer in question. If the locals have decided to give him a pass I can see where they might get perturbed at some passerby making a chip shot.
Old December 13, 2013, 12:19 PM   #81
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In minor items such as this option of shoot/no-shoot, it's merely common courtesy and politeness to give consideration to other folks' enjoyment. I see no profit in creating enemies.
Old December 13, 2013, 01:30 PM   #82
MTT TL

Quote:
In minor items such as this option of shoot/no-shoot, it's merely common courtesy and politeness to give consideration to other folks' enjoyment. I see no profit in creating enemies.
There are lot of things that people do that they enjoy that are illegal and yet mostly harmless. Feeding deer is illegal for a reason. This thread has a number of examples as to why it should be so.
Old December 13, 2013, 02:08 PM   #83
shortwave

Quote:
Feeding deer is illegal for a reason.
MTT TL,

Why do you insist on saying " feeding deer is illegal" as if it is illegal in every state. It isn't.
There are many states in which feeding and baiting are perfectly legal. And planting food plots for the wildlife is not only legal but encouraged by the government in the form of property tax rebates, gifted seed/fertilizer and in some cases loaned equipment to plant such.

I've killed enough deer in my lifetime, that I don't feel the need to kill every one I see anymore. Last week was our deer shotgun season. Opening day(a week ago last Monday) I let a smallish ten point walk that stopped broadside no more then 40 yds from me. The following Friday I let a decent nine(probably a 120-130) walk no more than 30 yds from me. I let them walk cause I enjoyed watching them, they were in their prime and excellent specimens with much breeding left to do to replenish the herd.

I hope both these bucks make it till they are past their prime. Then if I see them again, game on.

The elderly couple I bought this place from had to move from here due to their health. Since this place is fairly remote, they moved in town closer to the hospital. Their whole life out here was invested in watching the wildlife. I stayed in contact with them after they moved and the thing they missed most was watching the deer come up out of the woods into the yard in the evening. They came out a couple times in the evening after they moved to visit and sit with the wife and I to watch the deer. They quit coming out and when I asked them why, the Mrs. replied with tears in her eyes that they miss this place and the wildlife so badly it was just too hard on them and that they don't see this wildlife in town.

Sooo...you wonder why I wouldn't shoot that deer the OP is talking about?

Maybe there's an elderly couple in that town same as there was here that doesn't get much enjoyment out of life anymore but watching this 'town pet deer'.

Who am I to end that little bit of enjoyment they have left in life?
Old December 13, 2013, 04:16 PM   #84
buck460XVR

Actually, there are very few states where feeding deer is illegal.

State by state baiting and feeding laws

Also seemed in those states where the feeding of deer is illegal, when one looked at numbers of deer licenses sold compared to the population of the state, that deer hunters were a very small minority in those states. Also in many of the states where baiting is illegal, recreational feeding is still legal.
Old December 15, 2013, 05:40 AM   #85
Husqvarna

I don't like wildlife roaming about in my little town/community.

freaking old ladies feeding the deers

by tradition and law I guess we don't hunt the village side of the big road so naturally all deer hide in the village and our green/wooded area.

so one day I was feed up and called the authorities, they are a traffic danger, they eat in gardens, **** on our lawns, make dogs go crazy because there are tracks everywhere.

turns out the municipallity have a semi professional hunter and he could decide an extra protective hunt, so I got to help him, as there are houses and apartments very nearby naturally safe shooting angles are scarce, we built a really high tower in the middle of the green, got a couple that way but not enough. sweet shooting a 223 with a can thou

shotgun hunting followed but only bagged one, and people complained about the sounds
Old December 15, 2013, 12:24 PM   #86
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Husqvarna, that's a not-uncommon problem. During a drouth year in central Texas, the bedroom community of Rollingwood, adjacent to Austin, had an influx of whitetail deer. Forget about growing flowers; yum-yums for Bambi.

The local attitudes were about a 50/50 split between, "Oh, aren't they cute?" and, "(Bleeping) rats with hooves!"