The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 5, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Vireye

Private Sale of a Pistol in CT (with "HiCap" Mags?)

Hey all,

My local LEO's and other experts have NO IDEA about this, hoping maybe someone here does. As you are all undoubtably aware, CT recently passed some pretty extreme gun laws.

One of which bans magazines with a capacity over 10 rds, unless the weapon was purchased PRIOR to April 4, 2013.

I have a blue label Glock 21, w/ 3 13 rd magazines, that I purchased in December, so it's fine, as long as I only carry 10 rds in those 14 rd magazines.

However, I've become pretty strapped for cash, and a buddy of mine is interested in purchasing said Glock 21. Here's my dilemma...it was ORIGINALLY purchased prior to April 4, so having those "hi cap" mags is no issue for me, BUT, since my buddy would be buying it AFTER April 4, does that mean that I can't sell it to him with the magazines??

Many of the local LEO's I've spoken to aren't thrilled with these new laws at all, have no idea how to enforce them, and think the whole magazine registration thing is going to be a major PITA and useless (I tend to agree), and none of them have received any word about my situation.

Obviously my price changes dramatically if I can't sell him the magazines...in fact I honestly may not sell it at all if that's the case...
Old June 5, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

ct.gov or despp

Id check www.CT.gov & the state Dept of Emergency Services and Public Protection.
They regulate the concealed carry & gun laws for CT.
ClydeFrog
Old June 5, 2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vireye
However, I've become pretty strapped for cash, and a buddy of mine is interested in purchasing said Glock 21. Here's my dilemma...it was ORIGINALLY purchased prior to April 4, so having those "hi cap" mags is no issue for me, BUT, since my buddy would be buying it AFTER April 4, does that mean that I can't sell it to him with the magazines??
That is correct.

Since YOU possessed the evil, large-capacity magazines prior to the effective date of the law, YOU can continue to possess them (subject to registering them with the CT State Police whenever they get the process established, and subject to not loading more than 10 rounds on the street). You cannot legally sell, give away, or otherwise transfer those magazines to anyone within Connecticut. You can either destroy them, or sell them out of state.

You can sell the pistol to your friend, but you'll either have to sell it without magazines, or get your hands on some 10-round magazines to go with it. If your friend doesn't already possess some hi-cap Glock 21 magazines, there is simply no way he can ever (legally) obtain them in Connecticut at this point (unless the law is struck down as a result of the legal challenge filed by the CCDL). He also cannot buy them in another state and bring them into Connecticut.
Old June 5, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Aguila's correct. I don't have the text of the bill handy, but it does prohibit the sale of >10rd magazines.