The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 04:39 AM   #76
8shot357

As far as I'm concerned, he's been dead for years. He was/is just a tool, no gain, no lose.

Think what you want, but he's been dead for some time, and you will find that out in all do time.

BFD, some people show there class by celebrating somebody else's death.

First I'd like to get in line with everybody else to blow his brains out, but, I wouldn't celebrate it. That's sick! : confused:

He's death means nothing to me, nor is it important, after all, he's just one.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:45 AM   #77
8shot357

I have to add more, he was dead before they, US, ever killed him, he was a walking corps.

He was a tool, an instrument of deception, but that's just my opinion.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:52 AM   #78
austinjking

Quote:
I have to add more, he was dead before they, US, ever killed him, he was a walking corps.

He was a tool, an instrument of deception, but that's just my opinion.
It still gave the troops a huge morale boost. Im very glad he is dead. Anybody who helped plan 9/11 should be put down.
To just think that somewhere out there on some street is the man who killed bin laden theres also the gun that killed bin laden. Good to bury him at sea, that way no crazies try to make it shrine or anything. Now he gets to "sleep with the fishes"
Old May 2, 2011, 06:07 AM   #79
8shot357

Quote:
post#78

Im very glad he is dead. Anybody who helped plan 9/11 should be put down.
Well, move to Cuba, and you can help.

Yes, like an old frail dog, he was dead before they killed him. Like I said, I was in line.

Doesn't mean Mr. President has to put up his peacock feathers saying I killed him, and all of a sudden we need to dance in the streets!

Quote:

First I'd like to get in line with everybody else to blow his brains out, but, I wouldn't celebrate it. That's sick! : confused:
Old May 2, 2011, 06:10 AM   #80
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Wow, what a lot of chest-pounding."

What do you expect?

People to actually mourn him?

Ever see the news accounts of the celebrations at the end of World War II?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 2, 2011, 06:14 AM   #81
8shot357

Quote:
Ever see the news accounts of the celebrations at the end of World War II?
let's see? 20 million people died in WWII.

Do I need to break it up?
Old May 2, 2011, 06:17 AM   #82
sserdlihc

As an American citizen, I could not be more proud of our Navy SEALS!
Old May 2, 2011, 06:32 AM   #83
csmsss

I don't understand how anyone can see this as anything but a GOOD thing. Or have we forgotten the thousands of innocent souls this beast murdered in the name of a twisted, maniacal vison, which, if fully realized, would have resulted in the deaths and subjugation to tyrannical religious rule of billions of other innocents?
Old May 2, 2011, 06:42 AM   #84
8shot357

I'm all ears.

He is/was the Hitler of his time, but I'm not dancing in the streets. That's to indignant.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:07 AM   #85
8shot357

Ok, that was a little was extreme.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:10 AM   #86
GoOfY-FoOt

Osama Bin Laden is Dead...
I can't get it out of my head...
That our President went on TV and said,
"I killed him!"

"after a brief firefight..."

This is what I envision, took place...

bin laden, crosses the compound yard, places his rug down, gets on his knees, a single shot rings out, osama bows to his god for the last time.

One of the survivors of 9/11 was quoted as saying, that it feels wrong to celebrate someone dying, but in this situation it strangely doesn't.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:14 AM   #87
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I don't understand how anyone can see this as anything but a GOOD thing. Or have we forgotten the thousands of innocent souls this beast murdered in the name of a twisted, maniacal vison, which, if fully realized, would have resulted in the deaths and subjugation to tyrannical religious rule of billions of other innocents?
Well, have you forgotten how much Al Queda operates on the concept of retalliation? This has the potential to spur new terrorist attacks against the US and because the US is so short memoried, we will likely be out snoozing by the pool in 4 or 5 or 10 years, completely taken by surprise (again), when the attack comes in the name of Bin Laden's martyered death.

That is the down side to this. Had we just hounded him to death, kept him on the run and functionally ineffective (sort of like 8shot357 has said about him already being dead), he would not have been martyred.

Hopefully I am wrong, but Al Queda has operated on such a pattern for a while. Don't get me wrong. I am glad he is no longer a threat and personally won't be a threat, but dying is a firefight could not have been a more glorious way for him to go in the eyes of his followers.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:36 AM   #88
SPUSCG

Bout time somebody took him down. Im just waiting for pakistan to complain about s violating their airspace or something lol. Why was the piece of crap given a proper burial?
Old May 2, 2011, 07:40 AM   #89
kraigwy

Turn on the TV, looks like in this time of division, the killing of this idiot (temporally) united our country again.

They dumped his body in the ocean, no since giving the morons a gathering place to martyr OBL.

Anyway, my question is.

WHEN DOES THE BOOK COME OUT
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; May 2, 2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:43 AM   #90
MK11

Outstanding.

Maybe Obama should land on an aircraft carrier while giving a big thumb's up. Oh, wait....
Old May 2, 2011, 07:51 AM   #91
OttoJara

How awesome is it that Osama Bin Laden and Adlof Hitler were confirmed dead on the same day, May 1st.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old May 2, 2011, 08:11 AM   #92
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Well, have you forgotten how much Al Queda operates on the concept of retalliation?"

OK, simple concept time.

Killing Bin Laden has the potential of spurring new terrorist attacks.

But, DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has the potential of spurring more terrorists attacks against the United States.

Are you actually saying that you think that Al Queda and all of Bin Laden's buddies and henchmen would actually back the hell off if the United States left him live?

These people hate the United States and its citizens simply because we exist.

These people are not rational. They don't care about whom they kill. They're religious zealots, and NOTHING is going to prevent them from attempting to strike at America and Americans.

Nothing, that is, except hunting them down where they hide and killing them first.

All you need to do is look at the response by the Palestinian organizations to see just how irrational these people are. They're decrying the "murder" of a "holy warrior."

That's what this country is up against. They're willing to kill for their concept of a "god." They're willing to kill innocent people, even fellow Muslims, for their concept of a "god."

There's absolutely no way to respond to that mentality other than fighting back.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:17 AM   #93
SPEMack618

We got hammered drunk on Fraternity Row last night. Two noise violations and a citation for a fire within the city limits

I can proudly say that discussions raged long and hard about A) who killed him and B) what they were packing.

In MackLand, I like to imagine the SEAL doing three rounds center mass from his M-4A1 topped with a Close Combat Optic and then a "finishing" round from a gussied up 1911 of some sort.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:27 AM   #94
ZeroJunk

There are always automatons who will die for a cause if incited by some charismatic leader. But, I suspect most of the charismatic leaders have no intention of being killed. This has to be a detriment to the next OBL wannabe knowing that eventually there is no place to hide.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:35 AM   #95
TailGator

The fact that the body was buried at sea promptly and that no photographs are being publicized was likely a policy formed in advance and calculated to decrease in some measure the backlash against the US in the Muslim world. It is a Muslim custom to bury the dead within 24 hours, IIRC, and there may well be a prohibition against photographs of the dead. It is better for us to be seen as respecting Muslim beliefs than to be seen as callous towards them.

We should probably not be surprised that any sitting president of either party would take credit for getting Bin Laden. 'Tis the nature of politics. Regardless of any other disagreements I have with our current president, I will join him in saying:

>We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country.<
Old May 2, 2011, 08:36 AM   #96
OttoJara

AMEN Tailgator

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old May 2, 2011, 08:42 AM   #97
Jim March

Maybe cutting NPR's funding was a bad idea. Bonus: look at where the pic of Obama is pointing:

Old May 2, 2011, 08:45 AM   #98
Anthrax

I've been to Abbottabad several times in my life time. The funny yhing is that back in 2009 I was viewing the houses around PMA Kakul with my Bushnell bino's for fun and came across this huge house with high walls, something that didn't fit in with the houses nearby. Now I'm dead sure it was the same house where OBL was killed.

Dammnit! Missed a chance or an attempt to make 25 million dollars

This operation was carried out with the help of our Intelligence agencies and I believe Obama should have given us the credit where it's due. By the way, you guys lost an Apache in this operation as told by my sources and relatives in Abbottabad.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:48 AM   #99
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
But, DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has the potential of spurring more terrorists attacks against the United States.

Are you actually saying that you think that Al Queda and all of Bin Laden's buddies and henchmen would actually back the hell off if the United States left him live?
No Mike, don't be silly. Since we are talking about simple concepts, what is more simple than a martyr concept. bin Laden died in battle against oppressive infidels. That undoubtedly will be a nice shining beacon to rally more to the cause. We are certainly helping with making it known that he died in battle against us.

Quote:
These people hate the United States and its citizens simply because we exist.
Yep, and now they have a new martyr and no better martyr could be had for them.

Quote:
These people are not rational. They don't care about whom they kill. They're religious zealots, and NOTHING is going to prevent them from attempting to strike at America and Americans.
No, that is the problem with our stereotypical thinking. There is a logic to what they are doing. It isn't our logic. The King of England thought the revolting colonists were irrational as well and he underestimated us.

Quote:
Nothing, that is, except hunting them down where they hide and killing them first.
I know that sounds good, but it is also zealot thinking. You can't denounce their zealot logic without exposing weaknesses of our own zealot logic. They think they need to kill us. We think we need to kill them.

Quote:
All you need to do is look at the response by the Palestinian organizations to see just how irrational these people are. They're decrying the "murder" of a "holy warrior."
Thanks for making my point about how this is a rallying point. He is a holy warrior to them and there is no more glorious place for such a warrior to die than in battle, fighting for his cause that he has championed for so long, and to die fighting the most elite of the infidel warriors. He went down in a proverbial "blaze of glory."

Quote:
That's what this country is up against. They're willing to kill for their concept of a "god." They're willing to kill innocent people, even fellow Muslims, for their concept of a "god."

There's absolutely no way to respond to that mentality other than fighting back.
Fighting back is good. Not all fighting is ideal, however. A capture would have been much better than a kill. Having him put on trial and then dying by execution and not in a perceived glorious manner would have been much better.

Yes, it is good that he is dead. It is the manner in which he died that is the problem. It is a shame that he could not have been eradicated in some other manner not affiliated with battle, something that would not martyr him. After all, it isn't as if previously he was known to be a great fighter against the Americans, not personally. Now, he is.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:00 AM   #100
Single Six

I am puzzled as to why we would want to be seen as "respecting muslim beliefs" when the muslims who attacked us [and are fighting against us even now] sure as heck didn't respect OUR beliefs. I personally think that 9/11 survivors and their families should have been allowed to view the corpse...and then be filmed spitting on it, with the video footage to be released worldwide. These are the same folks who have paraded the mutilated corpses of American servicemen through their streets, not to mention filming themselves decapitating captured Americans, and we should worry about offending THEM? Sorry, I just don't understand.