The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Ronno

Simple layout of my reloading room

This is a "Start" of the plans of the room and layout of how I hope it will be, any suggestions or idea's I would be grateful...
Thanks
Ronno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basic Floorplan.JPG (81.4 KB, 573 views)
Old April 3, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Don P

Looks good. All you need is a place for the fridge.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:20 PM   #3
noylj

Can't decide on just a couple of press types?
Old April 3, 2011, 10:49 PM   #4
warski

You're just showing off.
Old April 4, 2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Ronno

I have all the ones listed, each one has something that makes it needed...
Old April 4, 2011, 12:25 AM   #6
GWS

What are the inside wall dimensions of the room...width of the shelving and benches....height of benches...or will they vary in height? Have you given any thought for tumbler and trimmer locations? Or blower/vacuum systems to keep equipment clean? Are you planning to sit or stand at the equipment, or both?

Are you going to use an electronic scale or elect. scale/auto trickler? Or one or more beam scales? Where are those going to go.

Since scales are used for each of your presses for either direct measure, or for setting up a powder measure, a central spot would make sense to me. Scales need to be in a draft-free spot at least 2' from fluorescent lighting.
Old April 4, 2011, 07:43 AM   #7
reloader28

Pretty impressive, but wheres everything else going?
Dont you need scales and trimmers and "stuff"?
I have alotta things that I use other than presses, and it looks like you dont have room for that.
Since I dont reload that often for shotguns anymore, mine are sitting on a shelf and are attached to the bench by bolts and wingnuts in the blink of an eye. Otherwise, this is open bench for working.
That would gain you some room.
Everything you dont use often can be fastened this way and gain you alotta room.
Its just a suggestion, but works very good.
I've seen someone, somewhere suggest a "receiver hitch" type mount that might work very good.
Old April 4, 2011, 07:53 AM   #8
jeepster11

wow

thats alot of different presses i only have one and thinking about getting a single stage for big calibers or maybe a 12 gauge press but for now my dillon does what i need for the most part. looks like you are trying to load enough ammo for ohio if so im in lol
Old April 4, 2011, 08:22 AM   #9
wncchester

Well, if you're starting from scratch you may enjoy a closet in the upper right corner for storing the tool box, a vacuum, trash container, broom, chronograph/tripod, cleaning rods, wind flags, targets, bench rest/sand bags.

If you're willing to scruch the press locations together a tad it would be very nice to have a small hand washing sink in there someplace.

Book shelves. A wall box w/door to store the things you may use in the drill press.

A sturdy 4" machinist type swiveling vise on the left corner of the work bench. A small two wheel bench grinder (Harbor Freight Tools has a good 3" model) on a wood block you can clamp in the vise. Mount your case trimmer on a wood block and use it in the vise too.
Old April 4, 2011, 02:14 PM   #10
sc928porsche

My presses and sizer are mounted on plates that quickly attach to the bench. They are stored in cabinets when not in use.
Old April 5, 2011, 06:13 AM   #11
Anaconda

Surely your not going to have nylon carpet in your reloading room and wear tennis shoes when reloading?

That combination will go BOOM some day

Kenny
Old April 5, 2011, 06:54 AM   #12
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

So where does the fireplace, liquor cabinet, and cigarette butt dispenser go?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 5, 2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Clark

I am in a 10' x 12' basement bedroom.
I covered all 4 walls with 16" deep shelving all the way to the ceiling.
I took down the closet doors and filled the closet with shelving.
The upper left of the pic WAS the closet.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 5, 2011, 06:12 PM   #14
Ronno

Inside the room will be 10X16

Bench will be high enough to stand or sit on a stool if one would wish.

Tumbler, most times I use the sonic cleaners, but the tumbler can be used if needed.

Storage will be in the 12 in shelves and above bench cabinets.

Bench top will be 24 inches wide and then cabinet storage under the bench top

Case prep center will be in the corner between the Mec 9000 and the Hornady LnL.

There will be 6 feet of space in the middle between the two long benches

Also airline connections will be along all four walls, the compres' is outside in the garage.

I may have a corner tumbler area that will pull out to load and unload but close in area that will help with sound and a small airvent installed also in the area to direct any dust outside.

Flooring will be a pergo type.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Three shotgun presses and seven metallic presses?

Not nearly enough.

I've reloaded better than 100,000 rounds over the years in an area about 4x4.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:12 PM   #16
4runnerman

Wow.I do all of reloading steps on a 3 foot by 4 foot table and a single stage press, But i only relaod for 3 calibers.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:21 PM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm set up to reload for 14, and should be adding a couple more soon.

Eventually I am going to make a bigger reloading area in the basement, primarily for storage.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:30 PM   #18
Ronno

I have a LOT to store in the room as far as supplies... a LOT... That is one reason for the size of the room... I can go as big as 12X18 if I need to... But I think the 10X16 will work

The room will have Ac/Heat along with dehumid' so things should be safe in there...
Old April 6, 2011, 02:19 AM   #19
zippy13

As a design professional, my first question is: How many folks do you anticipate will be loading at the same time in this space? My second question is: Or, are they laid-out as a re-sale display? But, I'm guessing you're going for single operator efficiency. I use only 6 different presses and they share the same space. For a single user, you'll soon find your space, as shown, is too large and you'll spend more time maneuvering than loading.

The basic rule for any design is “Form follows function.” If an object has to perform a certain function within a process, its location must support that process to the fullest extent possible. All you've accomplished is uniformly distributed your loaders. I'm guessing you spent more time drawing than you did thinking. There's more to reloading than just operating the presses. From your layout, it's obvious, you've just locating equipment without any regard to function. Consider loading as a sequence of events and the equipment and supplies required for the various functions. Consider the following possible grouping (my loaders are all progressive, so my sequencing is based on using my presses, yours may differ):
  • Intake area: A place to dump you brass and hulls after an outing to the range. This is where you do your preliminary inspection and sorting. Set up with grouped bins you can sort your cases like dealing cards. From here shot shells may go directly the the loaders, and metallic to the tumblers.
  • Case cleaning: Metallic cases are typically cleaned prior to loading. Straight walled cases may go from cleaning to loaders while bottle necks need further pre-loading preparation.
  • Case prep: Depending on your particular loading practices this may actually occur before and after cleaning. Some folks de-prime before tumbling their cases. Others may size as part of case prep.
  • Lubricating: Operators use different methods of lubricating, spraying and rolling may require different area requirements. You may want a mini spray box and drying shelves. Your needs may be met with a jar of Imperial next to your loader.
  • Press station: Obviously this space should be adequate for the press, empty and loaded hulls, component bins, miscellaneous tools gauges and your scale. This area should be well illuminated and the scale shielded from from drafts. You may wish to put each of your loaders in an individual module for use in this location. For single stage presses, you may wish to divorce the powder metering from the press area.
  • Inspection and packaging: After the press, your re-loads will be given a final cleaning and inspection (where applicable) before repackaging. Containers (individual or bulk) may include fresh load labels. You'll want this close enough to the press so you can label small lots while developing loads. This area a natural for your computer and/or other reference materials.
Performing these tasks in reasonably small areas will reduce unnecessary movement and wasted space. The entire process can be accomplished with very little operator relocation. Your layout has only base and overhead cabinets. Thus, most of your stored equipment and supplies are above or below eye-level. If it were for my use, I'd have less bench top and more full height storage.

Before you attempt any space planning you need to develop the programming requirements for that space. First, develop bubble diagrams describing the task sequences for each type of shell you intend to re-load based on your individual methods.

From the bubble diagrams you can determine which tasks are common to all shells types and which are unique. Then, you can develop an overall critical path diagram. From the CPM you can make spacial requirement assignments. And, from there you can have a fresh look at your space's layout.

If you're not strong at designing in 3-D then you may find modeling easier than drawing. Anything (sugar cubes, toy blocks or .410 boxes) can be used to represent basic volumes. The more time you spend in planning your space the greater your eventual reward.
Old April 6, 2011, 04:43 AM   #20
spacecoast

Quote:
Wow.I do all of reloading steps on a 3 foot by 4 foot table and a single stage press, But i only relaod for 3 calibers.
Wow is right, I reload 5 calibers out of my desk drawer with a hand press.
Old April 6, 2011, 09:43 AM   #21
Ronno

Look, I am not trying to make a big room to show off or anything like that, I have sponsors and a bunch of product that I need to store. I have all these machines because each is set up for something I shoot. I also need to be able to “Film” segments in this room from time to time. If you do a search on my post on this board you will see what I have set up now and in a VERY small area. It does not work, I need the bigger area and since it will be used for some videos it will be big and finished with Pergo flooring, finished and painted walls etc…

I have loaded for years in a small 6X6 area with most of this equipment set up and that does not leave much room at all for anything…

I am not bragging about anything here, I honestly posted this for idea’s & suggestions…
Thank you
Ronno
Old April 6, 2011, 10:19 AM   #22
grubbylabs

I would move the drill press so that it does not share immediate space with any thing lower than it. As you probably know the shavings are going to go every where, I would put it on its own stand and have it in a corner all by its self.

I would consider a tool box that goes under the work table if room and design allow. I know you can get some pretty narrow tool boxes and put them under the cleaning bore sighting table almost like a file cabinet draw. Then if you need a larger box you can set that aside.

Other wise it looks like it will work great.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old April 6, 2011, 10:46 AM   #23
4runnerman

Wow is right, I reload 5 calibers out of my desk drawer with a hand press

Hey Spacecoast--we are just space savers,HUH
Old April 6, 2011, 10:48 AM   #24
Ronno

Thank you to everyone that made suggestions... That is what I am looking for. Pro or cons on this set up...

For those that want to see some of the equipment and the little space I have now click here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=1#post4501950

Thank you all again... A+ on the drill press idea, it is on it's on stand now but you are right about chips... I use it to repair damaged screw heads at this time...

IF I had my way I would invite anyone that likes to reload to the room once it is done... I will also post links to the site and videos once everything is done...

Thanks
Ronno
Old April 6, 2011, 10:56 AM   #25
zippy13

If you are planning to use the space for video demonstrations, that's a significant aspect of your space planning criteria. Perhaps, instead of a U-shaped layout, an island would be more appropriate. You could even go with an overhead mirror (as used in demonstration kitchens).