The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Walkerman

glock 19 / g19

I just got what appears to be an older glock 19 austria 9x19. The serial # starts with NE. The clip does not fall out like other similar guns when the release is pushed. A friend says that was a problem in early models that was later corrected. Is that right?
Also, when looking up info on parts and accessories, I find reference to a G19.
Is there a difference between a glock19 and a g19? I would like to do some updates and don't want to order the wrong parts.

Thanks
Old July 31, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

The non-dropping mags were not really a "problem", per se. The earlier Glock magazines were designed that way because that's what many military & law-enforcement customer (mostly outside the U.S.) wanted.

The difference is only in the magazine, so the later magazines that are fully metal-lined will drop free from your gun.

Are you sure the serial number starts with "NE" and not "NF"? I couldn't find a listing for an "NE" code, but an "NF" code would indicate a 2nd-gen G19 from May of 1990.

G19 and "Glock 19" both refer to the same pistol.
Old July 31, 2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Walkerman

glock 19 g19

The serial definately starts with a NE.
I will buy new metal clips.
I live in south florida and only shoot when in north carolina at a friends where we can shoot in his yard.
I went to a local gun shop/range today to get info on shooting there. The guy showed me a form to fill out with name and address and what gun I was shooting and said they had to send that form to ATF.
Has anyone else run into this??
Old July 31, 2010, 11:30 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

What's immediately after the "NE"? Is it another letter or a number?

The two-letter date codes are from 1986-1992, but I can't find any reference to "NE" being used.

The later Glocks have three-letter date codes, but all the ones that start with "NE" are from 2009, so that's not right either.
Old July 31, 2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Walkerman

glock 19 / g19

The serial # NE and 3 numbers
No 3rd letter
Old July 31, 2010, 11:43 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
They are called full-metal lined, but they will look very similar to the old mags externally. If you buy new magazines they will be the ones you want. The old non-dropfree mags haven't been sold in many years.
Old August 1, 2010, 12:01 AM   #7
voyager4520

NE was used as a serial number, it just doesn't appear in most online databases of serial number prefixes.

If there are any upgrades needed for your gun, Glock would be able to tell you. Call them at (long distance, not toll free)1-770-432-1202, ask for the warranty service department, and ask them if there are any upgrades needed for your gun.

One of the main upgrades was that the original black-coated internal frame parts were replaced with silver-appearing internal parts. They also updated the firing pin, firing pin safety, and extractor a few different times. Glock will know if your gun needs to be serviced and if they have previously serviced it to make it up to date.
Old August 1, 2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Coastal

Quote:
Do not buy metal magazines for your Glock. You will damage the magazine release. Glock factory magazines are inexpensive and they work.

The G19 was not changed, that magazines were changed so that they would drop free.
Old August 1, 2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Walkerman

glock 19 / g19

Thanks for the info. If I remove the slide, what would I look for to see if it has been updated?
Also I mentioned earlier about a gun range here requiring a form to be filled out with
my name, add. and what gun I was there to shoot and they were sending it to ATF.
Has anyone else run into this???
Old August 1, 2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Webleymkv

Quote:
Also I mentioned earlier about a gun range here requiring a form to be filled out with
my name, add. and what gun I was there to shoot and they were sending it to ATF.
Has anyone else run into this???
No, and I think I'd look for a different range to shoot at. I wouldn't be wild about a range recording my name, address, and what guns I have much less sending such info to the ATF or anyone else.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:31 PM   #11
bearone2

1 non drop free and 2 are drop free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glock17_DF_2nd_gen.jpg (5.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Glock17_DF_3rd_gen.jpg (4.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Glock_NDF.jpg (7.2 KB, 23 views)
Old August 1, 2010, 07:56 PM   #12
EdInk

Find a new range.
Old August 1, 2010, 11:18 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If I remove the slide, what would I look for to see if it has been updated?
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

The black parts are the old ones, the silver-colored parts are the new ones.
Old August 2, 2010, 03:14 AM   #14
voyager4520

One thing you should know is that if the angle of your ejection port near the extractor is 90 degrees, you should not switch to an LCI extractor and LCI spring loaded bearing. The LCI extractor is meant for a 15 degree ejection port. In order to make a 90 degree ejection port use a 15 degree LCI extractor, the ejection port has to be milled out to 15 degrees and refinished.

Note the picture in the following link for the difference between 90 degree and 15 degree: http://glockmeister.com/product_info...roducts_id=257

Edit: Sounds like yours need the firing pin upgrade if it doesn't already have it:
http://glockmeister.com/pages.php?cID=3&pID=27

Last edited by voyager4520; August 2, 2010 at 03:23 AM.