The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2010, 07:07 AM   #1
dlb435

Stuck case, lube failure

I stuck two cases yesterday using Dillon spay on case lube. (223 REM) I got them out OK; drill, tap, pulled with slide hammer. Switched to RCBS case lube and had no more problems. Is there a spay on case lube that works? Have any of you had trouble with the Dillon case lube?
Old March 29, 2010, 07:10 AM   #2
ammo.crafter

stuck

Try Hornady case lube spray
Old March 29, 2010, 07:55 AM   #3
FlyFish

Interesting. When someone posts that they got a case stuck using Hornady spray lube, the usual response is to try the Dillon product.

I've had exactly one stuck case in some 35 years of reloading - that was when I tried the Hornady spray lube. Someone told me the trick is to make sure that you wait long enough for it to dry properly - I haven't bothered to test that.

Started using Imperial Sizing Wax some years ago and never looked back.
Old March 29, 2010, 08:08 AM   #4
TXJohn

I only use Imperial sizing wax never stuck a case in 12-15 years.
Old March 29, 2010, 08:38 AM   #5
jmorris

When you spray it on let them dry for a min or two. I spray one batch and let sit while I set up, then spray another batch when I start loading the first.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Uncle Buck

The only two times I have gotten cases stuck is when I used to much lube or I did not let it dry before proceeding.

Try cleaning the inside of the die. I use a cotton swab to clean the inside of mine with-out disassembling it.

You really do not need very much lube to get the job done. I am using a Lyman spray lube.

When I finish the can I will start using the Imperial sizing wax.
Old March 29, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7
William T. Watts

Stuck Case, Lube failure

I don't trust the spray lubes for the reason stated here, I've used nothing but RCBS case lube for more than 40 years and never had a case to stick. It's a different type product (have to apply with your fingers or use a pad and roll the cases) it works, that's what counts! William
Old March 29, 2010, 10:20 AM   #8
mrawesome22

I've heard too many stories of stuck cases with the sprays as well. Imperial works great for me. I did see this huge tub of Hornady Unique case lube a couple weeks ago. About the same price as Imperial, but it had to be 10 times the amount of product. If that stuff works, I would think it would be a great value. But I didn't buy it because my Imperial is only about a quarter gone and I've had it for 5 years!
Old March 29, 2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I did see this huge tub of Hornady Unique case lube a couple weeks ago. About the same price as Imperial, but it had to be 10 times the amount of product. If that stuff works, I would think it would be a great value. But I didn't buy it because my Imperial is only about a quarter gone and I've had it for 5 years!
I can tell you the the Hornady Unique is some slippery stuff indeed. I only just started reloading rifle cartridges and I tried using Eezox while I waited for my tub of Unique to arrive. Well, Eezox works but there's still considerable resistance. This Unique stuff is SLICK. It almost feels like your operating the press with an already sized case in it. Unique on the body, mica on the neck, I can't imagine ever getting a case stuck using this stuff.
Old March 29, 2010, 10:45 AM   #10
vladan

Quote:
I don't trust the spray lubes for the reason stated here, I've used nothing but RCBS case lube for more than 40 years and never had a case to stick. It's a different type product (have to apply with your fingers or use a pad and roll the cases) it works, that's what counts! William
What he said ... also great home made lube is 50/50 mixture of lanolin and castor oil
Old March 29, 2010, 11:07 AM   #11
Edward429451

Imperial sizing wax here, 25 years and the only stuck case was when we was setting up and I went to get a cup of coffee and my son started sizing before I got back. Got about 5 or 6 done before one stuck. He wasn't using lube and the first few were lubed by residue in the die.
Old March 29, 2010, 12:42 PM   #12
dlb435

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be using the RCBS case lube from now on.
Old March 29, 2010, 04:59 PM   #13
johnjohn

I use the Imperial wax and never stuck any and in 2 days stuck 2. 'Bout all I can think of is not using quite enough. It's good stuff you just gott'a use enough.
Old March 29, 2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Slamfire

I believe the majority of problems people have small base sizing is because they use those spray on lubes.

I remember trying to small base size 308 cases with those spray on lubes. That swill will stick a case in the die. Just awful.

I small base with RCBS water soluble or Imperial sizing wax.

I tumble my cases with a RCBS saturated patch in my tumbler's tumbler. Works great. Just have to be careful not to over saturate the patch or I will get shoulder dents.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:08 PM   #15
fpchief

Someone on here said something about going to the shoe dept at walmart and go to where the shoe polish and gettign a tin of mink oil. I used it and i do not worry about stuck cases anymore. Was having bad problems with .223 getting stuck in the dies. Got some unique also. Mink oil, unique and the RCBS case slick all seem to be VERY good for the .223 Mobile 1 oil works better than them all but you have GOT to tumble afterwards to get rid of any chance of oil inside the case.