The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Demaiter

Dies and Presses Interchangeable?

I've been loading for a while, using the $20 lee set and making great progress. I did buy a scale and a case trimmer and primer to compliment the setup, but time to upgrade to a press and dies because they don't make the $20 kit in .25-06

I'm getting the RCBS rockchucker press but for dies, they only have the hornady competition 2 die set. Would this be all I need? Also does this die come with the lock ring set so I can remove them and install them to the same depth every time?

I was rushed when I was looking at them and I want to make sure I have a correct list of required items for my press when I go back in a few days.

It's always good anyways to ask for advice here before you let the salesman talk you into things you don't need cause you don't know any better
Old March 12, 2010, 07:31 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Almost all diesets are 7/8-14 thread size and interchange with each other. The lock rings on the Hornady's are of the split ring style and clamp to the die body. If you setup the die in the press and then clamp the lock ring it becomes almost as one piece. No moving of the die or your settings. If you clamp the ring first there are flats machined on the ring so you can tighten with a small wrench.
Old March 12, 2010, 09:26 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Welcome to a fascinating hobby! Rushing through shopping for equipment is risky, hope you'll take the time you need when actually loading! I trust you bought a loading manual and read the first part carefully. Re-reading it after awhile will be helpful, as will adding another manual. No item on your loading bench is more important. Some catalogs that cater to reloaders make good reading as well. Enjoy!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 13, 2010, 05:17 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

You will need a case trimmer for your rifle cartridge. I assume you probably have the Lee trimmer and lock stud already, in which case, if you were happy with that, you can just get the trimmer pilot for your rifle cartridge. If you weren't happy with it, I heartily recommend the L.E. Wilson trimmer, and case holder for your cartridge.

Andy
Old March 13, 2010, 05:37 PM   #5
Randy 1911

You will need a shell holder. Lee is the only dies that I know of that come with a shell holder. But if you already have a Lee shell holder it will work fine. Also a solid bench to mount the press to will be very helpful.